The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 19, 2015, 04:13 PM   #1
SCHunter90

What is the best receiver for .308

Hello,

I am doing a lot of research before I start building a .308 semi auto rifle. What is the best platform for a long range rifle? Weight and money are not an issue. AK, AR, etc what receiver platform would you start with? I want to build a .308 semi auto with atleast a 26" barrel.
Old March 19, 2015, 04:38 PM   #2
skizzums

I can't say "BEST" but I would do an AR platform because I can't afford the zillion dollars for an m14. but f I had no price restraints, I would love to build a match grade m14 EBR type.

I would say NO to the AK. you could do a VEPR .308, but your never going to get the accuracy of an AR or m14 no matter how hard you try

this would suffice
http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultona...1-1-1-1-2.aspx

but you can build a really decent AR308 for around 1200 bucks. I think that's the way to go for readily available parts, accuracy, ease of build and price

Last edited by skizzums; March 19, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old March 19, 2015, 10:37 PM   #3
HankC1

Buy a complete rifle or upper/lower from the same manufacturer. 308AR is not standardized.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:17 PM   #4
deblaw223

I've had good luck with the Rock River 308
Old April 18, 2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Bake

Had a Smith receiver that I really liked...
Old April 18, 2015, 10:58 PM   #6
Taco-XL

You CAN get accuracy out of an AR platform. That idea that semis arent accurate is an old wives tale. With todays technologies, a good well built AR can rival a bolt gun.

I used Aero Precision upper/lower for mine. I would suggest u stick with dpms format uppers. More barrels,handguards, etc. for them than armalite stuff. Get s good quality match barrel with a Geissle trigger and youll be ready to put some good lead down range
Old April 19, 2015, 12:03 AM   #7
dakota.potts

I do question the want for a 26" barrel, but if you're not looking at weight or cost, I'd say you can do fantastic things with an AR with a heavy or bull barrel. We have a DPMS .308 with a bull barrel right now in my store and it weighs 11.3 pounds unloaded with no sights on it. I can't see using it for anything but bench/bipod shooting, but it definitely is impressive.

I'm not really sure if there's any other platform in a semi-automatic that you could turn into a dedicated long range shooter and also build yourself. The M1A, as mentioned, is an option. Besides that, your HK91/FAL/AK pattern .308s tend to be "man accurate" battle rifles suited for 500 yards and under. Exceptions apply, but ARs seem to do it more easily and are more suited to modification.

Tags
.308 , accurate gun , custom rifles , help with build , long range