The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2013, 11:54 AM   #26
WSM MAGNUM

If you are looking for a dry media not getting stuck in primer holes, I don`t have an answer. But if you were wet tumbling, using .047x.255 SS pins, these will not get stuck in primer pockets or flash holes.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old October 7, 2013, 12:37 PM   #27
schmellba99

Back when I used a vibratory tumbler, I would deprime, then tumble, then size and load on my progressive.

Yes, it was an extra step, but the primer pockets got some cleaning action from the tumbling. And sizing after means that the depriming pin on my sizing die would clear out anything in the flash hole. Never had an issue. It just took a little longer, and there was always some type of media debris on my press regardless of how well I cleaned after tumbling. The nature of the beast.

I used lizard or bird bedding from Petsmart or the fine walnut media from Harbor Freight. Both worked the same - really the only difference was that the pet bedding had more dust associated with it. I got to where I would fill up the bowl with fresh media, run it for about 20 minutes with several cut up used dryer sheets, then run it for about 20 more minutes with some NuFinish treatment. That knocked down the dust considerably. The blasting media didn't need this - just the pre-treatment with Nu-Finish and then start tumbling brass.
Old October 7, 2013, 06:40 PM   #28
jcwit

Quote:
If you are looking for a dry media not getting stuck in primer holes, I don`t have an answer. But if you were wet tumbling, using .047x.255 SS pins, these will not get stuck in primer pockets or flash holes.
Once again:

Quote:
Not if you use the fine 20/40 grit corn cob, how do I know? Been doing it this way for 15 years.

Another source is zoro tools, google it, shipping is cheaper is you don't have a Grainger close by.
Nothing stuck in the flash hole, nothing stuck in the primer pocket, nothing stuck anywhere.

Again 20/40 grit corn cob.