The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 28, 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
hhunter318

7mm WSSM Bolt Gun

Why hasn't anyone done much with this in a bolt gun? I saw where it has been played with in the AR platform, but it just seems like it would be a pretty efficient cartridge having a hair more capacity than the 7mm-08. The short fat cases probably be a pain as far as feeding from the magazine goes, but that doesn't matter if you're single loading. Any thoughts?
Old April 30, 2013, 09:37 AM   #2
William T. Watts

Concept is good, feeding issues are the reason there isn't much demand, availability of ammunition is another negative. Cases are more expensive (if you can find them), most people that want a 7mm firearm are going to purchase another 7mm caliber with components and ammunition available in most local sporting goods stores. I have a 280Rem that I can go most anywhere and purchase what ever I need, that's worth a lot to me.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; April 30, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it would be a wildcat, one-off gun so I doubt we'd know if "anyone" did it.

It'd be a fun project. I doubt it'd do anything that who knows what else can't do already but that's not really the point. There's tons of stuff that duplicates existing cartridges that people just build because they can.

Have at it!
Old April 30, 2013, 10:11 AM   #4
taylorce1

Several LR guys are shooting a 7mm WSM but even it has failed in popularity to the .270 and .300 WSM, so much so even Winchester has dropped it from the lineup. The 7mm WSSM would only exist as a wildcat so I'm guessing that is why it hasn't been played with much on the AR platform. Since it was never a commercial round and likely to never be one it is hard to justify a production rifle in that chambering.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5
csmsss

Since you'd have to reload anyway, what's the advantage of a 7mm WSSM over a 7mm Rem Mag? You could just load the Rem Mag to the desired bullet weight/velocity you wish and also be able to take advantage of a very wide selection of factory loaded ammo. I frankly don't see any appeal to this cartridge.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6
taylorce1

The appeal to the 7mm WSSM is that it fits in am AR-15 size lower receiver and should offer around 7mm-08 or better performance.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
csmsss

Quote:
The appeal to the 7mm WSSM is that it fits in am AR-15 size lower receiver and should offer around 7mm-08 or better performance.
But this thread was specifically about a bolt rifle. That's why it makes no sense to me.
Old April 30, 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
taylorce1

I'm just explaining the appeal as to why the cartridge was even developed by wildcatters other than the fact it was there to do so.

If a guy has a bolt action rifle in .223-.25 WSSM with a roached out barrel why not try a 7mm WSSM? It will probably give you longer barrel life than the other WSSM chambering's. The WSSM's have been notorious for having short barrel life due to high pressures and velocities created by the cartridge, but running at mundane 7-08/7x57 velocities should extend barrel life.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:46 PM   #9
hhunter318

Taylorce1,

Thats what I was thinking about the extended barrel life. I have a 7mm WSM, althouth it is fun to shoot, and shoots great, it is a pain getting brass. But the 7mm WSSM just seemed like a cool little cartridge that would be an improvement over the other WSSM's and would be good for shorter range shooting.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:31 AM   #10
taylorce1

WSM brass is usually easier to find than WSSM brass since the WSSM's are all but dead. If you need brass for your 7mm I'd find .270 or .300 brass and resize and fire form. IIRC there is something different with the .270 or 7mm WSM brass to keep others from being chambered in it. You'll have to do a little more research to figure that out.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Why would it be "good for shorter range shooting"? A 7mm magnum round is no short range cartridge. I'd think it'd be built for 1000 yards or more. If I wanted "good for shorter range", I'd want something with a lot less recoil like a 243 or even 22-250.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:03 AM   #12
taylorce1

Brian if you look closer he is considering changing a 7WSM to a 7WSSM which has a case capacity similar to a 7-08/7X57. While the 7-08 is surely capable of reaching far beyond what the OP is talking about for short range it can't compare with the 7WSM can do. I'd say it isn't worth the effort, and leave the rifle a 7WSM until the barrel is gone which probably won't happen anytime soon.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

True, I suppose it really aught to be called a WSS, since it's not really magnum. Who wants to name something in a way that would be pronounced WUSS though?

Still not my idea of s short range cartridge.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Scorch

Wildcatting is fun and an exercise in exploration. However, it is a good idea to check to see if someone has done something similar in the past before going to all the work for no gain.

A- If a cartridge exists which delivers similar results (velocity, accuracy, or other measure of performance) and is a proven performer over the years, it is possibly not a great goal to pursue. If it will match 7X57/7-08 performance but is more difficult to reload and feed through an action, it will probably not be a success. For example, a friend of mine developed a 30 caliber round on the 57mm case. Performance and accuracy were very good, in fact just as good as 308 Win/30-06. Obviously, it never got any traction.

B- If you add complexity to the equation by adding feeding issues, brass unavailability, and tricky reloading, then it would discourage most wildcatters. As inane as the art of wildcatting seems to most people, it serves to test possible solutions to issues that exist with current cartridges. 223 WSSM is a great example of this: good ballistics, but load sensitivity, feeding issues and tremendous throat erosion killed it pretty quickly.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:46 PM   #15
hhunter318

Good insight from all. It was just a brain storm. Taylorce1, a big part of my brass inventory is necked down 300 wsm brass. A few 270 wsm necked up. I like necking the 300 wsm down more so I have a false shoulder to aid in fireforming. I really wish I would have gone with something different though, maybe a 7mm-08 or get another barrel and do a 6 dasher or something. The 7mm WSM is just such a chore to load for with components being as difficult as they are to find.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:58 AM   #16
garryc

Wouldn't a 284 Winchester fill that bill exactly?
Old May 6, 2013, 07:29 AM   #17
hhunter318

The .284 Winchester brass is just as hard to find, and its COAL is longer, and to top it off, it has no parent case, so even if you wanted to go through the trouble, you couldn't form it from anything else.