The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2002, 09:28 AM   #1
Alex Johnson

Dissassembly of a High Standard Military Model B

OK, I've got a problem. A while back I bought a Military Model B because I thought it would be a fun gun to work on, nice lines, relatively little polishing required, thought it would look real nice with a rust blue job and a new set of target grips. In retrospect, I think I got taken for a ride. What I didn't than know about the model B was that it was supposed to have a takedown lever on the right side of the frame, this one had a screw in the takedown levers hole that looked like it belonged. My problem is now taking the slide off. Whether it was a good idea or not, I stripped pretty much everything off the pistol, but I'm still stuck with the slide attached to the frame under the tension of the mainspring that is retained by a pin that can't be knocked out due to interference from the bottom of the slide rails. The bug in the ointment seems to be a little device inside the frame that the takedown lever obviously mated with to release the slide. I don't know for sure that I would be able to put the takedown lever into the hole even if I could find one, but I was wondering if there is any other way that I can break the gun down. Thanks.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old April 19, 2002, 03:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I'll try to help. First, can you retract the slide? If so, pull it all the way back, and push down and hold the little button on top of the slide. Holding down the button, let the slide go forward easy until you feel the spring tension ease. Push the slide forward the rest of the way.

Let me explain a bit about what we want to do. The slide is being kept in place by a takedown block which is braced against the rear of the frame; in firing, this block stops the recoil of the slide. It is under spring tension, but is designed to swing forward and down to get out of the way of the slide for disassembly. The takedown lever normally does this when it is moved clockwise.

So, insert a small screwdriver or some other tool (I can't be more specific, it has to be something of the right size and shape) into the hole where the takedown lever should be, and see if you can engage the takedown block. If you can, turn the tool clockwise (toward the muzzle) and see if you can swing the takedown block forward and down out of the way.

It is spring loaded so you will have to hold it down.

If you can do that, the slide should come back and off the frame.

If this doesn't work, check back and we will try to work something out.

Gun Parts Corp. (www.gunpartscorp.com) has the parts listed in their catalog, but I have not checked their web site.

Jim
Old April 19, 2002, 03:53 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

And, if all else fails; give the folks at http://www.highstandard.com/ a try. They no longer make that model, but the expertise is there.

Sam
Old April 24, 2002, 09:36 AM   #4
Alex Johnson

Thanks for all the information, I'm still having problems getting the block lowered enough so the slide will come out. I noticed that numerich sells the takedown lever, I think I'll order it and see if I can get it to work that way.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old April 25, 2002, 05:35 AM   #5
JohnPL

American Rifleman addresses this in the latest issue.
Old April 25, 2002, 12:30 PM   #6
Alex Johnson

I haven't gotten my latest issue of American Rifleman yet, what do they address specifically?
- Mark Twain
Old April 26, 2002, 12:19 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

They address takedown of the early H-S guns, but they don't say what to do if parts are missing. I seem to recall getting that block down with a small flat screwdriver in the takedown lever hole. If you can look in with a flashlight you might see what the thing looks like.

Jim
Old April 12, 2012, 07:59 AM   #8
zomborama

Hi,

If anyone is interested, I created a Youtube video that demonstrates the takedown procedure for the Model B and HD Military.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD43GAZ3TZ0