The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 6, 2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Olibobwa

Here's a serious question

Here's a serious question

Suppose you own a 25,000 sq ft warehouse/former sewing factory. The building is divided, by wall, into one 10,000 sq ft room and one 15,000 sq ft room. In this warehouse there are people working but only in a small 'roughly 5000sqft' area. Some of the goods being produced have gone missing and you believe them to be stashed at 'POINT X' to wait later retrieval under cover of night.

According to the schematics listed below, how would you set up shop to catch the criminal? You have access to every inch of the building and the roof. How would you cammo yourself? The interior walls are 'off white' in color. The roof has large air conditioning units 'white' to hide behind.

The BG is a crackhead and may or may not be alone. More than likely no more than 3 or 4 people.

Diagram --> DIAGRAM.png

A - Bad Guy House
B - Possible Routes
C - Chain & Barb Fence
D - Possible Entry Point (Locked Window)
E - Most Likely Entry Point (Open Window)
F - Blocked door
G - Open Door
X - Where stolen merchandise is stashed.
aa - road
Old August 6, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

It's your warehouse - why not just look at 'X' to see if the goods are there?

As for catching the criminal, there's very little that you, as a private citizen, have the authority to do. You can't just shoot them, and holding them at gunpoint while waiting for the cops would be dangerous and possibly illegal as well.

It's an interesting question, though - how do you prepare for a burglary in advance? I'd call the police and get their opinion.
Old August 6, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
mothermopar

Hidden cameras with decent resolution. They have infrared ones, etc. Not too expensive. Best way... catches and documents the crime on tape (aka: evidence). Contact your local PD and make a report beforehand of suspected theft and the subject; ask for advice, etc.
Old August 6, 2010, 05:21 PM   #4
rantingredneck

Set up cameras. Get evidence. Let police handle it from there.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 6, 2010, 05:23 PM   #5
curt.45

hire off duty cops to do the job, or replace the goods with boxes of junk if the items are boxed.
Old August 6, 2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Shadow7d

in the ceiling, Americans never look up, ask a Vietnamese

but really, good cameras, and boxes of sand marked DVD player or secret smuggled gold, or cigarettes, (you know they won't leave those alone)

You don't really want to deal with the odds, most are not going to be armed, they are there for a heist, surprising them may just get you shot, best bet, insurance, security, separate cameras on a different circuit Hardwired/wi fi, doubt the will both cut everything and jam,

OH and tipping the cops, not money, but coffee, donuts, a place to chill for a few minute, being friendly can do wonders. All you can do is run them off and or shoot them if legal, the cops can catch them and send them to jail.

Last edited by Shadow7d; August 7, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old August 6, 2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Olibobwa

@ScottRiqui,

That 'X' is just a general area. It's really thick in that part of the building.

@Mothermopar,

I've been wanting to get one of those anyways. Was curious if there were cameras that emit no light whatsoever. I'd hate for my camera to go missing too.

I know that the police will say they'll keep an eye on the place for me. They usually do. I see tire tracks going around the building on a regular basis. Thing is there's not much more they can do than that.

Maybe, i'll set up a camera inside and keep watch from the top of the building.

@Shadow7d,

Dude, what the hell is a veitineese ??

Anywho, that's a great idea about hiding the camera in the rafters. I like the idea of baiting them too.

I might just go buy a trail cam then put a T.V. & DVD player in the back.

The people I think are breaking in know one of the employees.

Last edited by Olibobwa; August 6, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old August 6, 2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Glenn Dee

Send in the dogs.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:14 AM   #9
ZCORR Jay

I'd say the most legal way would be cameras and cops but that may not be the most cost effective way... well it might be if other methods land you in a law suite.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:25 AM   #10
FreakGasolineFight

Cover every inch of the building with anti-tank mines. When you hear an explosion, that means you got the bad guy!
Old August 10, 2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how I missed this. Folks, this is a firearms tactics and training forum. We sometimes allow non-firearm topics when they're related, but this doesn't even touch on defensive tactics or training.

Closed as off topic.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread