The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 27, 2002, 08:44 PM   #1
bowhnter

4X4 ATV's - Which one???????

I'm going to look at ATV's this weekend. Particularly in the 500cc class. Right now I think the Polaris Sportsman is the keeper. However for $400 more I can step up to the 700cc. (NICE!!!)
I just want to find out what the feeling is for the most reliable and comfortable. My main use is PURE JOY !! Not to mention not dragging deer outta the woods anymore. (What a drag) So what's the moral majority say???

===========
"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important, but especially so at a moment when rights the most essential to our welfare have been violated." --Thomas Jefferson -----, 1803. ME 10:365
Old March 28, 2002, 12:04 AM   #2
Watchman

FWIW....

A couple of years ago I got on a kick to buy a 4 wheeler. So I asked all of my workmates about the advantages and disavantages of all of the variuos makes and stlyes that they own.

Then, I went to each shop, (Honda,Susuki,Kawasaki,Polaris and Yamaha) and I test drove everything they had in the 500 + class.

I wanted at least 500cc's due to the fact that I weigh 245 and I carry out lots of deer and an occasional bear. Also deerstands, backpacks, coolers,camping equip. and other stuff.

When it was over, I decided on a Polaris Sportmans 500. In fact, I bought 3 ,one for me and one for each teenaged boy of mine.

The reasons...

It had the BEST suspension of any I drove. My back was straight and my feet planted firmly on the floor(not footpegs like many). This is important as it reduces fatigue if youve been driving all day. It has the tightest turning radius. It had better racks than many. It runs like a scalded dog. Its an automatic and it is smoooooothhh. It has a dual range. Bigger tires. Good lights.Nice subdues olive drab color.Two riders are no problem.

So there ya have it. My opinion after driving about all of them out there at one time or another.
Old March 28, 2002, 06:37 AM   #3
Bud Helms

Moving to Gear & Accys.
Old March 28, 2002, 11:13 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I'd suggest a CJ-7.
Old March 29, 2002, 01:47 AM   #5
Cain R

Polaris are nice, good power, nice suspension etc. BUT if you want a quad that starts and goes everytime you turn the key, get a Honda.

Mine have never let me down, our 12 year old 300 workhorse goes 365 days a year has wore out two sets of tires and a set of shocks but has never failed to start or get me out of a bind, same with our 450 and new 500. Perhaps not the fastest but for shear reliablity you can't go wrong.
Old March 29, 2002, 09:15 AM   #6
bj426

I'll be votin for the polaris hands down.... for all of the aformentioned reasons.... AND the fact that there is simply NO substitution for REAL 4-Wheel Drive. (All tires spining equally when 4x4 is engaged) that coupled with the on-demand 4x2 --> 4x4 option makes it the clear winner IMHO
Old March 29, 2002, 12:51 PM   #7
JonnyB

Two words: Yamaha Grizzly!

All-wheel independent suspension
Nearly a foot of ground clearance
660 four-stroke engine
2/4 wheel drive selector - electric, pushbutton
Front differential lock - electric, pushbutton

I own two Yamahas - 350 & 400 Big Bears - and have been very satisfied with their price, performance, and durability. We traded a smaller model for the 400 just last week.

A friend, with whom we ride a lot, doesn't like to have Polaris machines in his group, as he's been held up by their mechanical troubles on the trail. The trouble is many times over-heating of the liquid-cooled models. We think the radiator gets clogged with mud, and fails to cool the engine.

Even though Polaris is made here in Minnesota, and popular as heck, *I* won't own one! Cat, maybe. Honda, probably. Kawasaki, probably. Polaris, no!

You, though, are free to spend your money as you see fit. I have no doubt that there are a great many happy Polaris owners whose machines have never seen the inside of a repair shop. And, of course, there are probably as many Yamaha owners who wished they'd never heard of Yamaha. Variety truly is the spice of life!

Jon B