The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 24, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1
countryfied252

.22 cartridge belt

I have been wanting to get a cartridge belt for my 22 ruger single six. I have been looking around but all of the ones that I have found seen kind of expensive. Does anyone know where I could find a little cheaper one? I like the look of the drop loop belts but dont have to have one.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:12 PM   #2
bbqbob51

I bought from this Ebayer for my single Six.

This seller sells cartridge belts in whatever size, color and cartridge loop size you want. I got one with loops for 38spl and 22lr on the same belt (no extra charge!) and for the price, it is a good belt. Here is a link to one similar to what I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Tooled-...item1e75b89c72
Old December 24, 2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I will tell you from experience that a .22 cartridge belt is about the most useless thing you'll ever buy.

It will hold probably fifty cartridges. Think how long it will take to fill fifty cartridge loops, and how quick you can fire fifty cartridges.

It's like filling up a teen-age boy.

Bob Wright
Old December 24, 2012, 10:35 PM   #4
countryfied252

Well the reason I would like to get one is so I dont have to carry loose rounds in my pocket because I want to take my pistol with me when I go squirrel hunting along with my .22 rifle incase I see a close one so I can try to pick it off with my pistol.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:22 AM   #5
bamaranger

Hunter Leather

I use a ctg belt w/ a .22 Mag revolver, which admittedly, does not get shot as much as one in .22lr might on woods jaunts. Mine was bought via Cabela's, I think, enough years back that leather products were no as high as they are now.

Contrary to another post, I find it a useful accessory. Typically I will thread a Kbar or other large sheath knife, and a canvas canteen carrier in hot weather. I also have threaded on a leather cartridge box carrier, the kind that will take a full box of shells, but used it hold for fire makers, space blanket, whistle, that sort of stuff. The whole rig can hang on peg of staub, and be belted on as you come and go.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:05 AM   #6
rayban

I found a pouch to be a little more practical for .22 ammo....although the loops look pretty cool....

Old December 25, 2012, 04:02 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
I will tell you from experience that a .22 cartridge belt is about the most useless thing you'll ever buy.

It will hold probably fifty cartridges. Think how long it will take to fill fifty cartridge loops, and how quick you can fire fifty cartridges.

It's like filling up a teen-age boy.

Bob Wright
I have never had a .22 rim fire cartridge belt, but came to the same conclusion when filling the loops on a western rig for a S.A. .44 Magnum...There has to be a better way. Another consideration is that .22 rim fire are externally lubed and the lube could wear-off very easily (you can scrape it off with your finger nail), if the .22 rounds were in the loops while you sat in a chair, rode in a car, etc. In other words, belt loops do not provide any protection for the cartridges.
Old December 25, 2012, 04:05 PM   #8
dahermit

rayban, that is one handsome rig especially the pouch...looks like those historical cap pouches for cap and ball revolvers, et. Al. However, unless you carry more than you shoot, I would put that neat little pouch in front of the holster. But, each to his own.
Old December 28, 2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Bob Wright

Another disadvantage of leather cartridge loops is the formation of verdigris on the brass cases. This will form fairly quickly unless the loops are emptied each time they are used. This is the green "gism" that forms on brass, an interaction with the leather.

Bob Wright
Old December 29, 2012, 09:14 PM   #10
ZOOM2X

I agree that rayban has one fine looking rig. He made it himself! Look at his signature and you'll see a link to his website for his leather work. Guaranteed for life. Horsehide! One of these days....

NRA Benefactor