The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 26, 2011, 09:17 AM   #1
wyobohunter

USPSA multigun question

My local range is putting on a few multigun (3 gun) matches this spring/summer. I really want to try it out (1st timer) but have a question...

I have the stuff to shoot either tactical/limited or heavy metal but I'll be shooting with at least one handicap either way.

Shooting Tactical/Limited

-My rifle is an AR Carbine with single optic so I've got the "norm" covered.
-I'll be getting a magazine tube extension for my BPS so I'll have the same capacity as others but I'll be competing against autoloaders.
-My pistol is a basic 1911 Govt. and with magazine length restricions I can only use 8 round magazines but I'll be racing guys with high capacity double stack magazines.

Shooting Heavy Metal

-My pistol and shotgun are the same as above and I'd be competing on a level playing field.
-My rifle is an M1 Garand so my magazine capacity is 8 vs. 20 for the guys with M1A's etc and 20 round magazines.

I really don't have any high hopes of winning anyway so it'll just be for fun. I'd like to pick the option that gives me a better chance to get a fair assesment of my skills vs other competitors. Which option appears to handicap me the least? I'm asking for an academic/on paper answer; not taking shooter skills into account as I've no idea where my strong points are yet. Save for the fact that my general rifle marksmanship skills are much better than shotgun or handgun.

If I decide I really like this I may spend the money and get either a High Cap. pistol and autoloading shotgun or an M1A/FN or something for a Heavy Metal rifle.
Old February 26, 2011, 10:48 AM   #2
kraigwy

I recommend you not spend any money until you shoot a few matches with what you have.

Find out what you want or need, I bet you will find out you already have it.

As far as the pistol goes, if you carry, thats the pistol you need to use REGARDLESS.

I'm a firm believe that funds should be spent on rounds down range rather then gimmicks.

Establish your goals. Do you really want to be competitive or are you doing it just for fun.

I'm in the second category. I had to work my butt off when I was shooting for the Guard being I was the coach and OIC.

Now I'm retired. I shoot for fun. I may show up with my NM WOA Service Rifle and Gold Cup, or I may show up with a M1 Carbine and as issued 1911a1.

Might even show up with a Marlin 94 CS in 357/38 and my Model 28 Service revolver. Who knows.

I'm beyond caring if I win, I have nothing to prove to anyone, I SHOOT FOR FUN.

When I shoot ICORE, I do pay to shoot a second gun and go through the course using my carry gun, a 642 I carry in my pocket. I draw from the pocket and load from loose rounds in another pocket. Not real fast in the loading dept. but I'm having fun and learning to shoot my carry revolver.

Main thing, just get out there and do it. You can figure out where you want to go after you get a few matches under your belt.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 26, 2011, 01:00 PM   #3
wyobohunter

Quote:
As far as the pistol goes, if you carry, thats the pistol you need to use REGARDLESS.
Excellent point. I occasionally carry the 1911 but have been carrying my Sig P232 lately. The USPSA regs say 9mm minimum. I wonder if they mean the caliber 9mm (my .380 would qualify) or the cartridge 9mm Parabellum?

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I just want to shoot for fun and develop my skills.
Old February 26, 2011, 04:44 PM   #4
g.willikers

This kind of shooting is far more about skill than equipment.
You could swap gear with the best person there and they will still outshine you.
Don't sweat the equipment, use what you have and, if you get hooked, practice, practice, practice.
Like one of the top guys says, "Learn to run what you got before thinking of getting something better."
Unless, of course, you just don't like the ones you have.
That's different.
Any excuse to buy new guns is a good one.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:42 AM   #5
wyobohunter

Quote:
The USPSA regs say 9mm minimum. I wonder if they mean the caliber 9mm (my .380 would qualify) or the cartridge 9mm Parabellum?
Anybody know the answer to this?
Old February 27, 2011, 01:32 PM   #6
g.willikers

Minimum calibers, in the rule book, are 9mm Parabellum/Lugar, and .38 Special, but not .380.
It has to do with the minimum power factor of the cartridge, multiply the bullet weight by the velocity and divide by 1,000.
It must be at least 120.
Don't know about the other 9mm, like 9x18, 'etc., or the many other types of .38s.
The rule book can be downloaded from uspsa.org.
Old February 27, 2011, 02:10 PM   #7
wyobohunter

^^^

Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I'll be using the 1911 for sure.

Quote:
Unless, of course, you just don't like the ones you have.
That's different.
Any excuse to buy new guns is a good one.
I love all the guns I have or I'd get rid of em'. I don't bother coming up with an excuse to buy another gun. I just tell my wife "I want another gun", that's all she hears anyway.

Last edited by wyobohunter; February 27, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old February 27, 2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Jesse Tischauser

Shoot HM. Some of the best shooters out there run a garand. It won't hurt your scores. Most local matches only have one or two if any HM shooters anyways. The local matches are for testing yourself and your gear. Don't worry about how or where you finish. Just go shoot and have a good time.
Old February 28, 2011, 01:03 PM   #9
RickB

Shooting a Garand will most definitely hurt your scores. Three or four, ten-second reloads, when everyone else is changing mags once or twice? That's not to say someone shouldn't enjoy shooting their Garand in 3-gun. I've shot HM with my Garand, and Limited with an AR or M1 Carbine, and while all are fun, I most enjoy shooting with the Carbine (which is also at a big disadvantage compared to flat-shooting ARs). If the courses of fire are any good, a pump shotgun shouldn't be much of a hinderance, but good course design for shotguns is pretty rare, even at nationals (tending toward rows of poppers lined up like giant plate racks). I've shot a 10-round .45 in Limited, and it's not a huge disadvantage; shoot the pistol that you shoot best.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:20 AM   #10
lmccrock

USPSA minimum power factor is 125, not 120. I do not believe it is possible to load 9x18 up to a 125 power factor, and remember the steel poppers are calibrated to fall with that power. Minimum cartridge is: ".38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)" so 9x18 is not quite enough.

As for using a single stack, it is USPSA - In Heavy Metal, there are no race guns; you can use 10 round mags (HM is a Limited 10 handgun, not Single Stack), and that is easier to run than 8 rds. If they say you are limited to 8, either they are not aware of the latest rules, or it is not USPSA.

Ask the match director what the rifle course looks like. It might be M1 friendly, might not be. Either way, know your zeroes. M1 shooters are rare, although every once in a while someone throws down a "WWII Challenge" and a few show up, basically Heavy Metal Limited with an M1.

Lee