The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
BigTex308

Reloading blanks??

I'm wanting to reload some blanks for 45colt. Is there a way to do this?

I'm assuming I'd just need to re-size the casing to make sure it will chamber and put in a primer and a small powder charge with some type of wadding. It's for use in a revolver so feeding won't be an issue.

Has anybody here tried this before? Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Ike
Old January 1, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Sport45

Black powder might work for this.

Any smokeless pistol powder would need a lot of wadding to burn fast enough to give you a "bang". You'd basically have a cardboard projectile.

I believe commercial blanks use a very fast flash powder that's not available at your local reloading supply store.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:54 PM   #3
chris in va

Simple. Use a magnum primer, no powder, no wad.

That being said, still in no way allows you to point the weapon at someone and fire if that's your intention.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:54 PM   #4
BigTex308

I'll be reloading them for my dad. He just wants a cheap way to practice drawing and firing his revolvers with some recoil if possible.

I had actualy thought about just using a magnum primer and just re-sizing the cases. I could reload those a million times with just the primer.

Ike
Old January 1, 2013, 11:47 PM   #5
chris in va

It actually puts out a fair amount of flame in dim light too.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:54 PM   #6
Sport45

Whichever way you go you'll need to drill out the flash holes as much as you can and still leave enough shelf for the primer to seat on. I think 1/8" would work with LP primers.

Otherwise, the primer will back out and tie up the revolver every time he pulls the trigger.

Don't use these cases for anything else.

Quote:
I'll be reloading them for my dad. He just wants a cheap way to practice drawing and firing his revolvers with some recoil if possible.
You won't get any noticible recoil with anything mentioned here. If he goes the primed brass route, caution him to only do this outside as pimer smoke is not healthy.

Last edited by Sport45; January 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Kiwi Hunter

You can get rubber projectiles for just that purpose - load with just a primer

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/489...eter-box-of-50
Old January 2, 2013, 08:12 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

Note you will need to make the flash hole larger, or the primers will stick out enough to bind things up.

For balloon popping loads my brother loads a primer with a few grains of Triple 7 FFFg topped off with grits (Cream of Wheat) Sealed with a bit of soft bee's wax. They will pop balloons out to about 10 feet or so. (Lead Free primers are what I would suggest if used inside to avoid breathing lead particles.