The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Dragline45

Anyone Ever Use Brownells Gun Kote Oven Cure finish?

Was wondering if anyone has experience with the Brownells Gun Kote Oven Cure Finish? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...URE-GUN-FINISH I took my Ruger 22/45 camping this past summer and a good amount of bluing wore off one side of the barrel. Seeing as its not an expensive gun to begin with I don't really want to fork out half the price of the gun to get a professional finish.
Old February 1, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Jdomin

brownells gun coating

A friend of mine did a cylinder on a S&W airweight (aluminum )came out fine.
Old February 2, 2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Scorch

I did a 10/22 receiver a couple of years ago, it turned out nice.
Old February 2, 2012, 05:36 AM   #4
HiBC

I put a Lilja stainless bbl on a Husquvarna reciever and did not want to leave the bbl stainless finish.I sandblasted it,then flushed it with a spray gun full of laquer thinner.Once dry,I coated it.It completely filled the sandblasting.I had access to a lab oven to bake it.

I think it looks great and ,while I have been pretty gentle to it,it has not picked up any flaws.I would use it again.
Old February 2, 2012, 10:31 AM   #5
drail

I used some when it was first introduced. Easy application and it looked very nice. It also wears off just about like 3 coats of spray paint if you actually use the gun. I never understood people who think any type of spray paint makes a suitable finish for a handgun. I have gone back to just paying for bluing parkerizing or hard chrome. It lasts.
Old February 4, 2012, 02:45 PM   #6
ShovelheadDan

I've never used that but have used John Norell's moly-coat and Wheeler engineering's Cerama-coat. They both work great. The Cerama-coat is flat black and you don't have to bead-blast if you don't want to.
Unlike powdercoating, you can cook these in your kitchen oven.
Old February 4, 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
RwBeV

We have used it quit a bit on stuff that is not blueable, Aluminum receivers, cast receivers stuff like that it works ok its better than leaving it alone. The finish is fairly hard an will chip if you bang it hard enough. But over all its good stuff.

Bob
Old February 5, 2012, 05:29 AM   #8
salvadore

I used one of their gun kote products on a 1917 Brazilian special

This one. Was ready to do another recently but when I went to spray it on it was less than satisfactory. Globby nasty spray, complained to Brownell and was recredited and they were not selling it anymore...That musta changed.
Old February 7, 2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Mac's!

I've been using Gunkote since 1979 for refinishing firearms, knives, remote control model boat engines both internally and externally, fingernails, eye glasses, etc. It holds up well on all of them. One thing that Gunkote has above the rest of the "spray and bake" finishes, is that it will burnish to a perfect fit. That means that parts will start out tight but then loosen up to smooth functioning fit. My RC boat engines run really hot, both gasoline and nitro-methanol ones. Gunkote stays on, doesn't fade with heat, doesn't mind being soaked with gasoline or nitro-methnaol and is unaffected by being sprayed with cold water. Yes, it will chip off of a firearm if it's dropped, kicked across the parking lot and ran over 3 or 4 times. One thing about it is that the spray cans will clog up and it turns kind of chunky with time. I buy it by the gallons directly from KG Industries but they have smaller quanities too. You'll need an airbrush for that. Curing is best done in a dedicated oven so if you do it in the kitchen, make sure the Lady is gone for the day! It stinks, is bad for you and clean the oven out afterwards. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old February 14, 2012, 10:08 PM   #10
hAkron

Mac, your stuff looks great! I especially like the CZ 75 you redid.