The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 20, 2008, 03:58 PM   #1
utah hunter

Help cleaning my Remington Model 11

I have a Remingtom model 11 manufactured around 1908. After a few shots, it will not eject and load a fresh round. I have talked to several gunsmiths who suggest it may just need a good cleaning. I do not have experience tearing down automatics, and can't find disassembly instructions. I can pull the barrel but don't know how far I can reasonably take it down beyone that. Any help?
Old April 20, 2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Jeff Mulliken

The first thing to do is clean the chamber. They get really "clingy". A normal brushing is not enough. Wrap a bronze chamber brush with steel wool, chuck it in a drill add solvent and spin it in the chamber. Many cycling issues start with the chamber on the eary humpbacks. They really like to hanf on to modern plastic shells.

Second, get the right screwdrivers to remove the tang screw and its locking screw from the trigger guard tang. You need the proper hollow cround screw drivers or you will ruin those screws in a heartbeat. Do not touch the other single screw. Leave it where it is. Now the stock will slide off straight back paralell to the top tang. It may be stuck and will need a pop on the nose of the comb with a soft non marking hammer.

Once the stock is off, remove the action spring. It is in the tube in the back end of the receiver. Do it with the bolt forward so the spring pressure is less. It is held in with a pin at the rear end. At the front end it engages the
link" get a look at it in place before removing it so you will no know what to engage it with. Be careful when you remove the pin, it will want to launch out of there.

Now, shoot the inside of the action with gun parts cleaner and scrub the heck out of everything you can reach with your wifes tooth brush. Scrub the inside of the action spring tube with a 30 caliber bronze brush clean off the spring too, it will be covered with gummy oil.

Keep it up till solvent comes out clean. Lightly oil the action spring and put it back making sure it engages the end of the link. Put a drop of oil on the guide rails that the breech block and barrel extension ride on.

Replace the wood.

By the way. If it was made in 1908 it is not a Model 11. They rolled that name out in 1911 in celebration of the year. Before 1911 it was called the Remington Autoloading Shotgun. If it says Model 11 on it.....it was not made in 1908.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Jeff