The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 30, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1
breakingcontact

Buy mags now or wait?

I don't need some more mags but I'd sure like a few more.

I have a few extra M&P 9mm mags but would feel more comfortable having a few more.

Buy now or wait and see? They're $80-$100 now. Were $30-$40 before the madness.

If no high cap ban happens...I'm golden, can buy at normal prices after things cool off.

But if it does happen, what could I expect to pay for pre-ban mags then? Would a $90 mag seem cheap then?

Haven't participated in any buying frenzy. Don't want to start.

Really may consider turning some AR mags into some M&P mags but don't like that idea much either.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Jimboski

This is a loaded question...I say buy atleast one now (according to budget), also, who knows what the prices will be like exactly after this whole mess, or will they ever be available (legally) again...I would get atleast 1 now just my .02
Old January 30, 2013, 06:16 PM   #3
smee78

Its a roll of the dice, the last time this happened if you could find a hi cap mag for sale they were 80-100 dollars (Glock) but thats if they stay legal. I would say to shop around the best you can and try to hunt Armslist and other local people and see if you could find some cheaper there. It really is a loaded question. Damed if you do and damed if you dont.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:42 PM   #4
BigJimP

I say, no, if you don't need them ...don't buy them ....

If you do need them ....then order them from a good source, like Brownells, where they will probably accept a back order...and you won't care if you get them in a month or 6 months ( if they're still legal to buy )....

but I'm a 1911 guy ....this whole concept of high-cap mags make little, if any, sense to me anyway.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

It's your money so only you can decide if the current prices are worth it for you.

Personally, if I wanted more mags I would wait and not try to compete for limited supplies at top dollar. If you have enough standard capacity mags for self defense use, then if you need more mags in the future and can only get 10-rds due to new legislation than just use those for the range. The way some of the proposed bills read standard capcity mags would NOT be grandfathered so it may be money wasted to pay top dollar for more of them now.

I don't think a mag ban is going to pass, but then I have lots of mags already so I don't feel anxiety about it either way (except for general anxiety of possible infringement of a right).
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 30, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6
USMCGrunt

Well, you could do all of us a favor and buy them now. You know how this sort of thing works, if you buy them a ban won't happen but if you don't a ban will pass. So how about takin' one for the team here?
Old January 30, 2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Not wise to re-post the same question as in the other thread.
Closed Thread