The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2005, 01:46 PM   #26
Hello123

I have owned a couple. Obtained a BSA catseye 3x9x40 and 4-16x50. 1st would not hold zero. Second, replaced after sitting on a deer stand and threw up to watch a song bird. Nothing but black. The reticles were clanking loose inside. I have spent too much money on ammo trying to get these to hold a zero. Save your money.
Old June 11, 2005, 03:06 PM   #27
cosmolinelover

I put one of those wallyworld 30mm BSA red dots on my SAR-1... it works pretty good for $30... but you get what you pay for. It has a tendency to turn itself off after being rattled while shot a little " too much." I don't think any type of acceptable optic should ever succomb to being "shot too much." At least not as quick as my BSA did. That being said, it always turns back on after reseting the illumination knob... but it is kinda annoying while on the range.

At least it gave me a taste of the red dot world... money permiting I'd love something from Aimpoint or Trijicon but until then BSA will have to do.
Old June 11, 2005, 04:04 PM   #28
Kamicosmos

I just read in the new issue of 1st Freedom that Gamo makes the BSA scopes. They wanted a scope line to put on their airguns, and BSA is the result.

That said. I have a 6-24x50 Contender on my Bushmaster Varminter. I bought it literally as a place holder till I saved up for the Leopold 6-20x50 Varmint that I actually wanted.

Scope was fine for about 8 months, then the reticle started to rotate counter clockwise one day at the range. Funny part was it kept zero for maybe 5 more shots before failing. I was disgusted with the scope, thinking, well, that's what I get for putting an $85 dollar scope on a $1,000 rifle. Sent it in for repair under warranty. Got a brand new scope back in less than a week! No charge, even for shipping. This new scope has been on for a year and a half now, and the rifle even took a tumble off a bench once at a big THR shoot, and the scope is fine. This one is very clear and no distortion. I can read the fine print on my targets at 100 yards with it! So nice, I have yet to buy a proper spotting scope, I just use it.

I am still lusting over the Leopold. But I can't justify spending 600 bucks on a scope that from what I can tell, will not look any better than my $85 POS scope. Now, I am wondering about long range parallax issues, for shooting varmints at more than say....400 yards. But, considering I have yet to go on a praire dog hunt, and I don't have access to ranges longer than 100 yards...it's really kind of moot right now.

I tell myself the next time this scope fails, I'll replace it with the Leopold...we'll see.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old June 23, 2005, 11:49 AM   #29
Aardvark

Bsa Ok

Ihave had a BSA Contender 6-24x40 on my custom Mauser98/280 remington for about two years now and it is not the best scope in the world...Obviously...But for the $65 I paid for it on ebay, it works pretty good...The optics are adequate, though sunglare is a problem at certain angles to the sun,but overall it has been fine...I use it at therange a lot and find the 1/8 click adjustments to be fine and it hold POA very well...If you have a little more money to spend, I recommend a Nikon for around $125...I have a 3-9x40 on a Swedish Mauser and it is a pretty good scope as well.
Old June 23, 2005, 07:23 PM   #30
Eghad

BSA sounds like the lottery

NRA Life Member
Old June 23, 2005, 09:55 PM   #31
farmall

BSA= Better Stay Away, or Broken Scope Awaits.
Not a scope snob, but have too many aquaintences who've had nothing but grief. Tried so zero a friends .223 with one, 6x18 IIRC, quickly became apparent that BSA scope was total crap!!! Did not respond to windage adjustment. Removed to replace with Simmons 44MAG, BSA rattled when shaken. For a decent cheap scope, I'd try the Simmons 44MAG, or the Bushnell Elite series.
Old July 3, 2005, 04:33 PM   #32
Vincent Black

As posted by cosmolinelover :

"I put one of those wallyworld 30mm BSA red dots on my SAR-1... it works pretty good for $30... but you get what you pay for. It has a tendency to turn itself off after being rattled while shot a little " too much." I don't think any type of acceptable optic should ever succomb to being "shot too much." At least not as quick as my BSA did. That being said, it always turns back on after reseting the illumination knob... but it is kinda annoying while on the range.

At least it gave me a taste of the red dot world... money permiting I'd love something from Aimpoint or Trijicon but until then BSA will have to do."

I bought a SAR-1 that came with a BSA Red Dot scope and it has done fine, I shot 500 rounds through it and it works very well for me.

Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's all I can do with a scanner.