The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 5, 2001, 06:48 AM   #1
Parabellum-G42

Glock-18 and FiveseveN availability

are these guns available to civilians or are fully automatics and armour piercing rounds restricted?
I know this is probably a stupid question but I'm a gun newbie.
Old November 5, 2001, 06:54 AM   #2
denfoote

Zip Zero Nada!!! Neither Glock nor FN will sell these guns to anyone except law enforcement or military. The FiveSeven round is duplicated in a few wildcats, I believe. The G18, I have read, is practically useless for LE applications. The MP-5 works a lot better and for a price, you can get one of those!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old November 5, 2001, 12:08 PM   #3
KSFreeman

Long story, young man. If you want the story, let me know.

Short answer: the guns--no, "civilians" may not, unless you are an NFA dealer or manufacturer. The ammo--how are you defining "armor piercing"? K-Mart and Wal-Mart sell a lot of armor piercing ammo.
Old November 5, 2001, 02:56 PM   #4
PreserveFreedom

The Glock 18 probably would have been available to the US Civilian market, except that there is a cutoff date (I think in 1984) where a full auto has to have been manufactured prior to for a legal sale. If there was a way that I could have any full auto, that's the one I would choose.

Old November 5, 2001, 03:31 PM   #5
KSFreeman

PF, welcome back. Isn't it true you moved to that hairy-chested square state just to vote against John McCain? If so, good for you. I'll be out (Paulden, other side of state) April `02; save some beer down there for me.

Actually a couple of "cut off" dates (actually several), PF. In `68 the Safe Streets Act stopped importation of fully automatic weapons (except militree and the mall ninja). May 1986 the Hughes Amendment to the NRA's misnamed Firearms Owners Protection Act "cut off" new domestic production.

The Glock 18 is a silly weapon or, at least, highly specialized. Wise man say--"only hits count."
Old November 5, 2001, 07:01 PM   #6
.357SIG

Actually, FN says the Five-seveN pistol is not restricted, but you will never get magazines or ammunition. I'd hate to buy such an ugly looking paperweight.

The cutoff date for registration of MGs was May 19, 1986. A new G18 would be in violation of the NFA of 1934 because it is unregistered and cannot be registered to non-LE or military.
Old November 5, 2001, 09:30 PM   #7
Spatula

The ban only apply to US.....

You did not mention where you live. In some other countries FA is a non-issue check out this this guy
Old November 6, 2001, 06:10 PM   #8
KSFreeman

Ab, no speculation. Trigger time (limited true enough). 4 to 6 shots need to be placed well and with great accuracy. A pistol is not an area fire weapon. This is better done with a G17 than a G18.

However, I am the only member of my gun club who was not in the SEALs, SF, Delta Force, RLI, Selous Scouts, SAS. Thus, I am not trained to the level of the expert operators.
Old November 6, 2001, 07:14 PM   #9
Apeach

I believe that there are still some of the Glock 18 models for sale (although they're horribly expensive), but the Five-seveN is a big no. The guns are all going to the military or police for a few years now, and they won't even sell the ammunition to civilians in the U.S. It's all because those little bullets are the medium between a pistol and a rifle bullet. I read a ballistics test on those somewhere, and it's a powerful round. And 21 of those in a pistol mag is something that our government doesn't want us to have.
Old January 9, 2002, 07:17 PM   #10
striderteen

The magazine on the Five seveN is 20 rounds, but you can load it 20 + 1 like any semi-auto. It's strictly LEO in the U.S.A. due to its armor-piercing capability; takes a Class III vest to stop that 5.7x28mm round.