The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Picher

First Woodchuck with the new Rem 700

Bought a slightly used, Rem 700, .223 Light Varmint Stainless Fluted. Installed a new Leupold VX2, 3-9X, handloaded some 50 grain rounds, sighted in and grouped an average of 1/2 MOA, without tuning seating depth.

I look out the side window and there's a dark chuck on my side of the son's barn. If I don't get it, it may come over to our house and make holes in my lawn.

Okay, so I drive over to the son's place and the only safe angle puts me about 25 feet away from where I saw the chuck. I sat on an equipment trailer tire and waited. After a couple of minutes, a head appeared between the barn and a shed. Then, the chuck came out and turned away from me, so up came the rifle. It turned sideways and I managed to see fur in the scope and squeezed the trigger.

If it wasn't for the concern over holes in my lawn, I'd never have shot a chuck at such a close range. It's ironic that the first kill with a rifle capable of hitting smaller targets at 200 yards or more was used, but after shooting several with the WMR last year and having some get back to the hole, the .223 was just the ticket.

The rifle has been carried on the woods road and fields for several miles now and has fully met my expectations for a light walkabout rifle, weighing only 7.6 lbs. with scope. The .223 round is perfect for the ranges encountered on the property, about 200 yards max.

(Note: Picture exaggerates the barrel's diameter...only 0.6" at the muzzle.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5170264.JPG (77.8 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Picher; May 18, 2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old June 3, 2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Unlicensed Dremel

Very nice.
Old June 3, 2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Savage99

Woodchuck hunting was my favorite sport. Now that the coyotes are here they are gone from a nice meadow. The farmers like the coyote for that reason as the chuck holes were a problem.

Now the farmers don't need us. A gentleman 'farmer' wanted me to shoot the chucks near his back door. That's all there is now!
Old June 6, 2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Picher

Coyotes and varmint hunters have eliminated hayfield chucks here in Central Maine, but they thrive in parks and along Interstate highways, where they can't be hunted.

I haven't actually gone "woodchuck hunting" for about 40 years, but still shoot a few near the house.