The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 04:16 PM   #1
odugrad

New Sig 226

Hi, everyone. I'm a newly registered member here but not new to the site. I came here because everyone seems very knowledgable. My issue is this:

I just recently bought a brand new Sig 226. I took it to the range for the first time and for the first several magazines I had several failure to feeds and ftes. After that, it has been running flawlessly. I have taken it back to the range several times and had no issues.

Is this something common with new Sigs? Was this part of the "break-in" period?

Thanks, a lot!
Old March 14, 2013, 04:51 PM   #2
dsa1115

Somewhat unusual for a SIG 226 but it may have been a little tight. Great that it's running well now. The 226 is an extremely reliable pistol.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Mr_Jumper

Did you clean the gun prior to taking to the range for the first time?

There's quite a bit of factory "preserve" grease that should be cleared. Also properly oil/lube the area per manual, and no, factory grease is not lube.

Break-in should smooth out the gun, but should not be prerequisite for proper function.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Dragline45

On new guns the tolerances can be very tight, and with some use the mating surfaces in the gun will smooth out. Also on new guns the recoil springs can be very stiff and require some use for them to loosen up and make operation smoother. Another thing to note is pistols often ship from the factory heavy in grease which should be cleaned out before shooting, so if you never cleaned the gun from the shop to the range then that could have also been one of the problems.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:25 PM   #5
odugrad

Unfortunately I did not clean it before taking it out. After the first trip I took it home and cleaned it well. I just got back from the range again. I fired about another 150 rounds and had no issues whatsoever.

After the first couple issues I've been very impressed.

Thanks for the responses.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
odugrad

Also, off topic, but how does everyone list the guns they own at the bottom of each post?
Old March 14, 2013, 06:11 PM   #7
RamItOne

^^^^
Common to all types of forums,

List of cars on a car forum, guns on a gun forum, geek stuff on a Mac forum (:

Edit
Whoops, read "why does" not "how does"

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0

Last edited by RamItOne; March 14, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:44 PM   #8
meanmachine1961

Click on user cp at top of page and then go to edit signature.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:26 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

Rounds, caliber...

For defense or regular carry I'd suggest using only factory made ammunition. No hand loads or reloads. Prices now are crazy but it should tone down in 2/3 months.

What caliber is the P226?
Old March 15, 2013, 03:49 PM   #10
rodfac

Most Sig's perk right at 100% out of the box, at least the ones I"ve run across. And Sig does not BS you with that, "it takes two hundred rounds to break it in 'cause we fitted it so tight"...Pure BS and lousy quality control....

I'd offer a cpl sources for your problem....limp wristing (not keeping a FIRM grip on the gun) is common in new shooters, or those who are new to semi-autos. Your grip should be as firm as one you'd shake hands with a long lost friend..ie. just short of white knuckle or a tremble, but not enough to bring him to his knees!. If you're having issues, spend a month or two kneading a tennis ball while you watch the evening news...you'll be surprised at the strength you'll get! Another source would be junk ammo...most American manuf'd stuff is fine...some of the foreign not so. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; March 18, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:50 PM   #11
cbennettx

Hopefully you learned your lesson.. you should always field strip a new weapon; inspect and clean it. Not only do some guns ship dirty, gunk in them, etc... sometimes new weapons have been sitting around for some time before being sold.

Glad she is running well for you now. All of my primary pistols are Sigs; they are hard to beat.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:33 PM   #12
tristar viper

My buddy bought a new P226 and he didn't clean it before the first range trip. He had a couple FTE's and the slide failed to lock back on last round. He cleaned it, has had it to the range many more times, same ammo, zero problems now.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:40 AM   #13
odugrad

It's a 9mm. I went to the Sig website and looked up the FAQs. They aslo mentioned something about a "break-in" period. I guess I have to chalk it up to the fact I didn't clean it before hand. But I've had other guns and never cleaned them before taking them out-they ran great. But I did notice the Sig was slathered in grease.

I guess being new to shooting, I figured the more grease the better it would run. I guess I was wrong and I have learned my lesson. Does the grease come from the factory or from the dealer you buy it from?
Old March 16, 2013, 07:45 AM   #14
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Does the grease come from the factory or from the dealer you buy it from?
It's factory-applied. Retailers generally don't do much to the guns they sell. Some might stick a laser or different grips on as part of a "customization package", but for the most part, the gun arrives at the shop, gets taken out of the box to be displayed on a shelf, then gets put back in the box and given to the customer when it's sold. If you're not buying the display model, yours might not even come out of its box except to verify the serial number.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:01 AM   #15
odugrad

One other question: I have heard that Sigs like to run wet. Is there any truth to that? If so, why would the excessive grease cause jams? Wouldn't it aid in the lubrication?

I just want to feel confident that my Sig will run and perform for a long time as long as I take care of it.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:07 AM   #16
rodfac

Here's a thread on another forum that's specifically for Sig's. The OP is very knowledgeable, tho he uses more grease than I do. I use US military weapons grease bought years ago in a 1 qt can. It's the same grease they used to issue for the M1 Garand and Carbine, but any good grease will do in my opinion.

HTH's Rod

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...35/m/908103701
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:08 AM   #17
ScottRiqui

The factory-applied grease is often more of a protectant than a lubricant, so even if there were a lot of it, I don't know that I would consider the gun to be "wet". Just clean the gun up really good, lube it where the manual says to, and I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:21 AM   #18
cbennettx

No, Sigs don't need anything special; just lube with whatever oil you care to use. You can also use grease as well; whichever you choose. I have used both on all of mine. Just follow a normal routine for cleaning and lube.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:28 AM   #19
odugrad

From everyone's experience, do you think I should be worried?

It jammed a few times the first time I used it. It seemed to clear itself up during the same trip. I took it home, cleaned it, and have been back to the range a couple times with no issues at all.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:45 AM   #20
sigarms228

Quote:
From everyone's experience, do you think I should be worried?

It jammed a few times the first time I used it. It seemed to clear itself up during the same trip. I took it home, cleaned it, and have been back to the range a couple times with no issues at all.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Not at all!!

The P226 is a very top tier combat pistol.

Keep it well lubed from here on out and you should have no issues and it will last you a very very long time and then some. Recoil spring will need to be changed at 5000 rounds fired also.

Yes SIG metal frame pistols like to run wet but that does not mean dripping wet - just visibly wet. I make sure that the entire length of the frame rail on each side of the frame is lubed as is the exterior of the barrel in addition to other recommended lube points in the manual.

I typically use Slide Glide grease but also Weaponshield CLP or M-Pro LPX.

Good luck and enjoy your P226!
Old March 16, 2013, 11:44 AM   #21
ClydeFrog

New shooters on the line!....

I'd suggest cleaning any firearm prior to range shooting or any extended use.

I've noticed in nearly 20 years of shooting my own firearms it speeds cleaning/service after you return from a range or hunt.

Top CLPs(clean lube protect) include Mpro7's LPX, Gunzilla, Slip2000, Weaponshield, Ballistol. Brownells, www.brownells.com is a top source for cleaning/gun care products. Many use Hoppes #9, Boresnake Vipers, Birchwood-Casey Synthetic Firearms Cleaner too but a CLP will keep your SIG rocking.

A BoreStore bag is a good way to store your pistol too(in a secured location if you have small kids or any untrained adults near-by).

CF
www.sgammo.com www.natchezss.com www.cabelas.com www.shopcorbon.com www.grafs.com www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com
Old March 16, 2013, 03:36 PM   #22
Chesster

I have two WG 226s. First one NIB. Several FTF with first box of ammo, then smooth sailing, no bobbles of any kind. Second gun, police trade in. Never had a bobble with it of any kind. Over the years, many NIB brand name autos need a box or two to "get into the groove" and function reliably. Never thought much of it.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 16, 2013, 03:56 PM   #23
Dave P

"Is this something common with new Sigs?"

My SIGs have been the most reliable pistols I own. Even when new. When I got my first / only 1911 (Kimber) I was shocked to learn that a break-in period is the norm!

My 226 only gives me grief when I didn't seat the primer fully - it won't go into battery.

Wonderful pistols.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:28 PM   #24
thinktwice

The 226 is a great pistol. It just probably needed a few rounds down range to loosen it up a bit. I have seen some Sig's do the same as yours, and the owners never had another problem with them again. Then I have seen some good to go right out of the box. My 239 was that way. I have never had one malfunction with it since I took it out of the box. Your Sig will be fine enjoy it.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:54 PM   #25
odugrad

Dave P, not to sound ignorant, but what does not seating the primer fully mean?