The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which pump shotgun will last the longest before breaking?
Browning 19 9.79%
Benelli nova/supernova 12 6.19%
Winchester 1200/1300 10 5.15%
Mossberg 500 51 26.29%
Remington 870 102 52.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 19, 2010, 10:24 AM   #51
johnwilliamson062

In my opinion, which is based on pretty limited experience, pump shotguns is the area of firearms with the least difference between different brands and almost no material outside of ergonomics.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:17 AM   #52
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
What is different from the 500 to the Maverick?
The Mav 88 has a crossbolt safety on the trigger group versus the tang safety on the 500... that is 'bout it...
Brent
Old January 19, 2010, 11:40 AM   #53
Morgoroth

Thanks!
Old January 19, 2010, 04:40 PM   #54
Super-Dave

My question was in reference to an actual part breaking.

George Orwell
Old January 19, 2010, 05:55 PM   #55
darkgael

Still

Quote:
My question was in reference to an actual part breaking.
Something like - "Starting from new, which of these guns would most likely be the first to have a part break?"

Pete
Old January 19, 2010, 06:48 PM   #56
Super-Dave

thats it.

George Orwell
Old January 23, 2010, 06:53 PM   #57
carpshooter

I only got one thing to write !

870 is the only one here ,except maybe the Browning !
Old January 23, 2010, 07:01 PM   #58
bswiv

I love my old Mossberg 500 and hogdogs is right about the action bars, but of the older designs I would pass another vote for the Mad. 37. My dad had one and shot the urin out of it and it NEVER needed a thing done to it.

That said I do not see the average, heck the above average shooter, EVER wearing out a pump.

I will though stick with my old Mossberg...........
Old January 23, 2010, 10:16 PM   #59
bamaranger

I have a brother in law that shoots trap w/ a custom 870. (special bbl/rib and butt stock). The receiver is stock 870 ( and I think trigger group too)
He is in- to- it.

He told me one time the # of estimated rounds he's put through the gun.
I don't recall the #, exactly, but it was in the tens of thousands, like 30-50 THOUSAND. Maybe it was more. There's been some minor repairs, a shell stop shot loose, a ring for one of the trigger group pins got broke (he thought he forced the pin in and pinched it) , but essentially it just chugged along. Neither of the above probs forced him out of a shoot.

I was stunned.

The 870 is a common LE gun. I would think there would be some interesting numbers out of the various academy's as well.
Old January 25, 2010, 12:09 AM   #60
rc

BPS is probably the strongest and best designed of the guns mentioned. Let me explail my reasons.

Browning is all steel though it does have some stamped parts unlike the Ithaca 37 on which it is loosely based. The quality of the gun, grade of steel and fit and finish overall are excellent.

My second choice would be a mossberg because the design is excellent but the ejector is a bit delicate and the plastic safety is notoriously prone to breakage on newer models unless you get a military version.

Remington 870 would be next. It is a proven time tested design like the mossberg but the trigger group and disassembly is not as easy as the mossberg. The carrier mechanism can trap a shell under the bolt if you don't feed it all the way into the mag tube.

Winchester 1300 rotating bolt seems overly complicated and therefore prone to breakage.

Lastly the Benelli is designed from the ground up as a cheap entry level mostly plastic pump. It's a relatively untested design and I would not trust it to be completely impervious to U.V. damage and solvents long term. It would be my last choice of shotgun. Sorry if I offended the Nova guys but leave it in gas a few days and get back to me on chemical resistance. rc
Old January 25, 2010, 04:53 AM   #61
rickdavis81

870, why even ask.
Old January 25, 2010, 05:12 AM   #62
highvel

870 Love It!

My 870 is over twenty years old and has never let me down. From Deer,Turkeys,Skeet and Clays it has always done it's job!!!!!
From 30" full choke barrel to 26" choke tube barrel to rifled slug barrel it just feels sooooo good.
Old January 25, 2010, 06:41 AM   #63
darkgael

nova

About the Nova:
Quote:
leave it in gas a few days
I appreciate the concern about the long term viability of the Nova, which doesn't have the history of the 870. That gas comment, though, strikes me as unreasonable. Who leaves their gun in "gas", whether it be a Nova or an 870? I'm supposing that if I were to take a steel and wood gun and drop it in gas for "a few days" it would be damaged no matter the brand.
I am curious, though, to learn more about the material used for the stock of the Nova. There are plastics and then there are plastics; some of the formulations will hold up to about anything - and better than wood. Not as pretty, though.
Pete
Old January 25, 2010, 09:19 AM   #64
TomF1938

870 - 870 - 870

REMINGTON 870 HANDS DOWN!!!

I've seen Mossberg 500's fail in the field but have never seen an 870 go wrong. The closest I've ever had to a failure on an 870 was when a friend inadvertently put in a round backwards into the magazine and then couldn't get it out without field stripping the gun - but you can't blame the shot gun for that.

I have two brothers that both owned 500's and they were both problematic. This was back in the seventies and maybe Mossberg has improved the newer ones.

TomF
Old January 25, 2010, 09:29 AM   #65
TomF1938

Old 870 Wingmaster

I have to add to my last post that the 870 I've owned for the past 40 years is the Wingmaster. I guess that, like all the other gun makers, Remington has probable cheapened the newer models with sub par materials and manufacturing shortcuts.

TomF
Old January 25, 2010, 09:45 AM   #66
jmortimer

The 870 Wingmaster is a great gun. The current production 870 Express shows a lack of pride. The primary problem is failure to eject and jamming.
Old January 25, 2010, 09:50 AM   #67
jmortimer

The 870 Wingmaster is a great gun. The current production 870 Express shows a lack of pride. The primary problem is failure to eject and jamming. Out of current production I would expect the Mossberg 500 to last the longest.
Old January 25, 2010, 12:44 PM   #68
batmann

Well said about the Browning BPS rc, they echo my thoughts exactly. I have two BPS, an older one with beautiful wood and engraving and a newer one with the extended mag and composite stock that I keep for HD and I'm not sure I could wear one out or break one. The action is solid and I have put many, many rounds through the older one and it has been used for every thing from Sporting Clays to Duck blind and I'm not sure I even have it broke in yet!
Old January 25, 2010, 01:18 PM   #69
NightSleeper

No idea ...
Old January 25, 2010, 02:11 PM   #70
Maromero

The one that's best taken care of.
Old January 25, 2010, 03:03 PM   #71
LukeA

I think the results of this poll are the same as if the question was "What is your favorite pump shotgun?"

Polls of similar effectiveness to this one:
What is the longest-lasting butterknife?
What is the longest-lasting brick?
Will the wires in my walls ever wear out?

It doesn't matter. Properly maintained, any of those things will last at least hundreds of years.
Old January 25, 2010, 06:41 PM   #72
darkgael

Well...

SuperDave: Well....did you get your answer yet or has the point been thoroughly missed?
In truth, the answer is unknowable. What is true for one shotgun - of any brand - might not be true of the next one on the rack. A part - an actual part, to use your words - could go on any gun pretty much at any time. If I could tell, I could probably bet horses a lot better too.
I'm curious as to what prompted the poll.
Pete
Old January 25, 2010, 07:35 PM   #73
lambertsteeth

Has anyone ever heard of anyone wearing out a pump? I haven't.
Old January 27, 2010, 07:16 PM   #74
rc

I know someone who had an ithaca 37 made in the late 40s that had the extractor wear out after decades of heavy use. Nothing broke, but the shells would no longer get extracted because the chisel edge wore down. This could happen on any gun after time. A new extractor got it running again. That's why I have such an appreciation of the BPS design based on the ithaca. The Remington trigger group is more complicated in my opionion than necissary and if it was superior to other guns, the military would not have purchased the Mossberg 590 which is a slightly upgraded 500 that puts a steel safety and I believe a mettle trigger group on the same basic 500 design. The 590 was not chosen over a BPS because of strength, but because the ejection port allows rounds to be switched in combat more easily. I'm sure the overall weight savings and price were also factors in picking the 590. Now we see the semi auto benelli coming into use, but the pistol grip model 500 is still popular for door breeching rather than combat. rc
Old February 28, 2010, 06:37 AM   #75
David Turley

I suppose you would have to give the nod to the remington because its been around so long. But i think the benelli is a better built shotgun and will prove its self as time goes on. I own both and no complaints with either of them.