The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1
DENNYNTX

Star 30m help

Ihave a star 30m and was wanting to know if anyone can tell me how to get the extractor out it is not ejecting te shells it jams about every 3rd shell sticks in the barrel thanks
Old September 14, 2009, 12:58 PM   #2
candr44

The extractor is held in place by spring tension and it shares the same spring as the safety detent. You will need to remove the safety to get the extractor out. Its an odd set up for an extractor that was done away with on the improved 31P version. The extractor also tends to get dirty quick underneath it.

You need to start by taking out the firing pin retaining plate. Once that is out you can remove the pin in back of the slide and to the right of the firing pin. You will then need to remove the right side safety lever by pushing in the pin in the center of it then sliding it off the safety. After that you can remove the safety and that will expose the extractor/safety detent spring.

Be careful, once you remove the safety the spring tension is gone and the extractor can fall out. There is also a pin at the extractor end of the spring that can fall out and also the one for the detent that may be launched when the safety is removed.

I also had a problem with shells occasionally not extracting and took it apart to see what I could do to fix it. I found a lot of dirt under the extractor and cleaned it out. That helped but it still did the same thing on occasion. I ended up cleaning up the claw with a jewelers file and replacing the extractor/detent spring. That took care of the extraction problem but I also had to smooth and polish the safety detent since the stronger spring made the safety movement stiffer. It extracts fine now and I can still easily work the safety. Also, one other thing I did that may have helped is polish the chamber.

Last edited by candr44; September 14, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old October 5, 2009, 06:39 PM   #3
DENNYNTX

star 30m

thanks for the help i thank that has got it going again
Old October 5, 2009, 06:52 PM   #4
DENNYNTX

star 30m

i have a star 30m that is in great shape just had it in the gun shop got it cleaned and checked out was told it is in perfect shape it shoots great was wanting to know if i should keep this gun are get rid of it since you can not seem to get parts for them any more
Old October 5, 2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Chris_B

Folks that worked at Star in Spain have been selling parts for a while. Bizarrely, a lot of inventory seems to have gone right to ex-employees. You may want to search the internet a bit; my Pop has gotten Star parts directly from Spain quite recently
Old October 5, 2009, 07:21 PM   #6
DENNYNTX

star 30m thanks

ok i will try that do you know where it is he gets his parts
Old October 5, 2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Bud Helms

Moving to the Smithy.
Old October 5, 2009, 08:21 PM   #8
DENNYNTX

s&w 59 mags. in star 30m

I wastold if you remove the mag. safty on a star 30m that you can use s&w 59 mags. in the 30m does anyone know if this is true thanks