The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 28, 2009, 05:12 AM   #51
SilentSoul

the only hunting i have ever done is hog hunting thus far i have seen a lot of things, my families.. hell bound way of hunting at times results in a good laugh, if we get bored, we hunt with no catch dogs, and no firearms.. just big sharp knives and beer seems to work if you don't mind a few cuts and bruises every now and then.. but thats part of being young and dumb, the smart people find a tree when you see the palmettos rustling and hear that screaming thing coming towards you, or at least pull out a gun and start shooting

as for what gun i would want, Ruger Alaskan.454 casull, i love the round.. but i don't like the gun its chambered in for that type of work, i want a semi-auto .454.. though i have never seen nor heard of such a thing in the real world anyway, so what can you do...

my advice.. be a man and bring a sword or bring the biggest gun you can carry in one hand and squeeze the trigger on

28" 3.2lbs razor blade, perfect for the hog on the go

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 28, 2009, 12:45 PM   #52
Para Bellum

Are you sure you only want to bring sidearms for hog hunting?

Are you sure you only want to bring sidearms for hog hunting? Are we talking sus scrofa here? It's already hard to stop a (weak!) huma in his tracks with any handgun. I don't know what hogs you are expecting, but the ones we have rip daredevil hunters to pieces:

I'd pick a medium to stout caliber rifle (7x57, .308, .270 up tp 300 WinMag, 8x68S) and as a backup for pure survival (or controlled suiciede) a handgung I can handle very well with deeply penetrating ammo (in my case Glock 19 with Hirtenberger FL).
Old March 28, 2009, 04:12 PM   #53
Catfishman

Para Bellum, that's a big pig. How much did it weigh?
Old March 29, 2009, 01:56 PM   #54
nickE10mm

I always carry my Dan Wesson Razorback (10mm) loaded with some nice DoubleTap 200 grain 8eartooth flat nose loads running about 1300+ fps and a few extra mags. I also carry a flashlight since we do some night hunting too.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:22 PM   #55
Para Bellum

Not me or my hunt in that pic, but bigs in my area are ususally between 80 and 200 Kg (88 - 440#). Sus scrofa in Europe....
tough beasts, I'd never thing of tracking them with only a handgun.

There are mich bigger ones then the one posted above...

That one's exceptional: 285kg (627 [corrected, typo]):

Last edited by Para Bellum; March 30, 2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:40 PM   #56
Scorch

Quote:
That one's exceptional: 285kg (712#):
Wow, that's a beauty, a true trophy if there ever was one.

Your conversion is off a bit (627#).
Old March 31, 2009, 09:58 PM   #57
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSoul
as for what gun i would want, Ruger Alaskan.454 casull, i love the round.. but i don't like the gun its chambered in for that type of work, i want a semi-auto .454.. though i have never seen nor heard of such a thing in the real world anyway, so what can you do...

my advice.. be a man and bring a sword
Congratulations.

In just over one paragraph you have ensured that everyone here who is familiar with the topic will ignore any post you make from this point forward.
Old April 1, 2009, 10:01 AM   #58
SilentSoul

Quote:
In just over one paragraph you have ensured that everyone here who is familiar with the topic will ignore any post you make from this point forward.
How so? i will assume its because no one has a sense of humor... or maybe mine is just too different

is the "mall ninja" stigma really that bad? just because i mention a sword in a post... means everyone will ignore me? guess we can ignore the fact that i have had martial arts training since i was 9, actually know how to use many different weapons, and have experience with the "real world" so im not some deluded wanna be "operator", but i suppose the "be a man, bring a sword" comment was much to vague.. because of course, i have actually carried a sword out into the bush and dispatched a hog with it, and would suggest everyone try it at least once, you know.. to "be a man"

as for the other part.. a .454 casull, i fail to see whats wrong with this, except for the fact that i made mention of the round being used in a traditional auto loading form factor, i wont bother touching on that, im sure its been done

I do thank you for the "heads up" its nice to know the type of community im really dealing with

/sigh

PS. no, that is not a fake sword.. if anyone is wondering -.- 9260 silicon alloy carbon steel, my tatami omote blade in shirasaya, waiting to be redressed

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?

Last edited by SilentSoul; April 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old April 1, 2009, 10:22 AM   #59
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While I did see the humor attempt and Tamara's point as well...
Be a real man and use this...

I have used smaller but find under the 3.75 inch blade of the Buck 110 it takes too much work...
And you gotta draw and open it one handed as you try to hold the hog's tail to keep it off you...
Brent
Old April 1, 2009, 10:55 AM   #60
SilentSoul

I understood as well, which is why i decided to explain myself somewhat, i don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me, i have issues with getting the "emotion" across in my posts, while i may be sitting here laughing.. it comes across more.. serious

that aside, i dont carry folding knives anymore, for that very reason.. i didn't get one locked open once, cut my finger to the bone when it shut back.. but thats ok, i usually don't hunt with dogs anymore, more fun to do it the "hard" way, not to mention all the work involved, pain and suffering to the dogs, and in my opinion.. the meat tastes a lot better when the hog wasn't killed in such a manner, not sure why.. everyone says its because of all the stress, but they can't explain why

I have dropped, and will keep dropping hogs with my 870 12g +slugs, worked flawlessly so far

Old April 1, 2009, 11:25 AM   #61
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Thre flavor is better if the hog is killed while "at rest" adrenaline and testosterone are but 2 chemicals released in stressed situations. But we rarely ever dispatch our dog caught hogs at the scene of the catch as we prefer to pen them for a week at least then butcher them.
Tastes as good as possible this way. If a hog survives even for a few moments after initially shot or even shot at these chemicals are in the meat as well. But to save the dogs I have gone in for the "stick" in battle and those hogs are resigned to 100% sausage meat...
Brent
Old April 1, 2009, 11:03 PM   #62
Catfishman

Para Bellum,

Do you know were that monster was killed? The biggest bore I have ever seen was about half that size, and it was huge.
Thanks for the great pictures!
Old April 2, 2009, 01:14 AM   #63
Hirlau

Thank for the photos Para Bellum. From the size of that hog, if I ever start hunting again, I'd better take my .375 H&H.
and an AK back-up.
Old April 3, 2009, 09:10 PM   #64
Singlesix1954

Thank to all ! I guess I'll buy a 10mm slide as a backup to my .480 wheel for this trip. It just so happens that I was @ the Hornady factory Monday and they were testing a 10mm in the 2nd tunnel and I was impressed. So when the hunt is over I'll be back with pics.

Thanks...Single Six 1954
Old April 4, 2009, 03:27 AM   #65
Para Bellum

Para Bellum, Do you know were that monster was killed?

Quote:
Para Bellum,

Do you know were that monster was killed? The biggest bore I have ever seen was about half that size, and it was huge.
Thanks for the great pictures!
Sorry, no. But if I read the faces of the two gentlemen right, the blond one is German, Dutch or Skandinavian and the dark one - I assume the guide - is central asian, I assum from Kasachstan. They have BIG HOGS there I have heared.