The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 25, 2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Jseime

Marlin 336

How much does you average used Marlin Model 336 in .30-30 sell for if it's in nice shape?
Old November 25, 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Hedley

I bought a really nice '84 336CS(plain walnut stock) 30-30 at a pawn shop for $160. I later sold it for a little more to a local gun shop. They probably put it in the used section for $250. I've seen prices vary from $170-250, depending on the style of stock(walnut or not, checkering or not, straight or pistol grip stock, etc.), year, and caliber. Some people prefer the older models without the safety. I'd check gunbroker.

Here's the one I tried to sell. I got several PM's from the price police telling me the price was out of line.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ght=marlin+336
Old November 27, 2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Jseime

So if I offer the guy 150 thatll probly do it since he doesnt really want and/or like the gun.

He got "scope-bit" by it and hasnt fired it for ten years.
Old December 7, 2006, 04:52 PM   #4
Tom2

Depends on where

I used to see them for 150, and you better grab it for that if it is a nice gun, taken care of and not rusty etc. Gunshow dealers around here have been putting them on the tables with 275 or more on them, even just plain vanilla versions without any checkering, accessories, etc. I was baffled by this high price range but I see few bargains these days at the Ohio shows, even from individuals. I'll bet the dealer did not pay 150 for the gun that is 275. They might cry and moan and let you have it for 250, though. All the time claiming that they are not making any markup at that price! Bunch of gun pirates, I say. If it does not have the button safety on it, so much the better. Lot of the older Marlins really have pretty decent trigger pulls as compared to newer lever guns. I've never put a scope on a lever gun, but a receiver peep sight is a decent add on to have, if you can find one that is steel not alum. The newer alum. ones have no durability and can get whacked out of alignment easily, in my experience. Too soft. I am talking the type that screw onto the side of the receiver and have a cross piece that is unsupported at one end.