The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Fredtp

Lyman Tumblers

I am thinking of getting a Lyman Pro Magnum Tumbler with auto-flo..Is this a good choice or should I get something else?
Old January 15, 2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Quantrill

I had a Lyman tumbler a few years back. Eventually it broke and I needed a new one. This time, I bought Dillon. It still works great but if it didn't, they would give me a new one. Quantrill
Old January 15, 2006, 02:36 PM   #3
Fredtp

Its not lifetime warranty on tumblers like the machines..Only one year on tumbler motors..
Old January 15, 2006, 03:05 PM   #4
klw

Over the years I've owned several Lyman tumblers. Without exception they all wore out within a couple of years despite the fact that I rarely used them. They just don't last.

If you want to do conventional tumbling, there are two I'd recommend. If you want to tumble a lot of cases at a time, buy the BIG dillon. It is excellent for everything except small loads. I tried once mixing a couple of types of cases. That was a mistake. I'm still finding the small cases hopelessly lodged inside the larger once. If you want to do small loads, the RCBS unit is nice. But it is only nice for small loads.

If you want to wash your cases, which appeals if you are using blackpowder cartridges, about you only choice is the RCBS tumbler specifically designed for liquids.

But if you wash blackpowder cartridge cases it is also a good idea to run them, once they have dried, through a conventional tumbler.
Old January 15, 2006, 08:05 PM   #5
somerled

I bought a Dillon more than 10 years ago after wearing out two Lymans. I'm still using the Dillon.
Old January 16, 2006, 05:06 AM   #6
Lloyd Smale

ive got a lyman a frankfort arsonal and a dillon and all have served me well the lyman is going on 23 years now. Its not my main tumbler as its small and only used for specialty stuff but has many a hours on it. The lyman with auto flow is a joke though my buddy has one and it never works emptying the tub.
Old January 16, 2006, 06:50 AM   #7
boltgun71

I guess I'll be odd man out here, but I got a Lyman 1200 tumbler with auto-flow about a year ago and it has served me fine. I love it, its pretty quiet and the auto-flow feature works fine for me. I've got no complaints with it, but I would stick with the Dillon if it is the over whelming concensus by guys with more experience than myself. If you do get the lyman though I hope you like it as much as mine, I think its great. Plus it was a christmas present from the wife, so I couldn't get rid of it for a dillon if I wanted too!
Old January 16, 2006, 11:17 AM   #8
MADISON

Lyman Tumbler

I have a Lyman 1200 tumbler that I have used since 1986. That's 20 years? If it quits I will buy another.