The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
sodak54

More questions than answers!

Ive been away from reloading for sometime...years ago I loaded 38 grains of H380 with a 55 grain Nosler bullet AND a Magnum primer, did 1000's like this for a 22-250. Today I can't come up with that load with any consistancy. The Speer manual shows it from 38-42 grains with an asterik that denotes "magnum primers used with this powder. Nothing else I see asks for a magnum primer which I think is the correct thing for that powder??? I'm try to use a 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip using H380 and use Dan Newberry's OCW method of finding my sweet spot but really can't start until I solve this primer issue.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...ons/4529817134

Also does anyone recommend weighing bullets? I did for grins and they were 54.9-55.1 is that enough to matter?
Old February 26, 2012, 08:38 AM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I am not sure. I have loaded several loads in .223 with H-335 that one manual says use magnum primers, the other says use standard.I would say try a few of both. Magnum primers re usualy recomended for ball powders to get better ignition consitancy. Also sometimes in realy cold weather it takes the magnum primer to ignite the ball powders reliably.

Personaly if it is that cold I am gonna be inside staying warm drinking coffee, and working on my reloading bench.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
homesick

SoDak54 I hate to throw a wrench into your H380 loads but I have found it to very a lot with temps changes. My experience has been/ a good load in warm temps are not always good in cold temps. I used to live in SD and went to Varget as it seemed to work very good no matter what the temp was. I also found I could get better accuracy with near max loads with Varget . I always seemed to have to back down a long ways with H380 to get it to shoot. I'll probably get slammed for saying that but thats what I have found. I also found that 52 / 53 gr Sierras shot best for me, however my 250 Savage does shoot the Noslers fairly good, right at 1/2" (BUT NEVER UNDER THAT). The Sierras will go under 1/2" most all the time when I do my part.
I just noticed your new on here Welcome

Last edited by homesick; February 26, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old February 26, 2012, 01:18 PM   #4
sodak54

The magnum primer thing seems controversial at best. I'm thinking I will abandon the magnum primer and am thinking I'll switch to Varget to begin with if that works then great and if not I'll come back to the H380
Thanks again for the input!
Old February 26, 2012, 05:49 PM   #5
homesick

I have used mag primers with ball powder in the past and have never seen much difference, except in over bore calibers like 300 and 7mm mags. However I did have a 220 swift that shot lights out with CCI 250s so never over look it.
This is what makes working up loads so much fun there are so many combs to try.

Tags
22-250 , 55 grain , h380 , magnum primer