The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2006, 12:06 AM   #1
Savage10FP308

What to carry when on a hunt (sidearm)?

I have been experimenting with coyote hunting and I am also a pretty avid deer hunter. For some reason I have always felt the need for a sidearm when hunting. I'm not sure why, but thats really not the point. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am turning 21 in just under two months and I am itching for a handgun (and yes I know my CZ that I have listed is a handgun).
Old September 21, 2006, 01:12 AM   #2
jfrey123

I feel your need. Whenever I go out in the open country, I carry one of the only two pistols I have (for now).

What are you concerned about stopping with it? If it's just general purpose, a popular choice would be a .357 Mag revolver. I've decided that it will be my next weapon for shooting in general, but I prefer my Glock for carry outdoors.
Old September 21, 2006, 07:01 AM   #3
DWARREN123

Ruger, 4" or 6" in stainless, 357 magnum. Can't beat them.
Old September 21, 2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Coup de grace for deer? .22 rimfire.

Protection agains Big Bears? BIG cartridge.

Protection against Bad People? "The usual".

, Art
Old September 21, 2006, 10:21 AM   #5
jhgreasemonkey

Make sure its comfortable and light or you will get tired of lugging it around. I got tired of carrying my full size .45 while deer hunting and now I just carry my rifle. Plus I never once had a use for it.
Old September 21, 2006, 11:07 AM   #6
john in jax

3"-4" bbl totes easier than 6"+ bbls

If it is only a back-up (after all you have a rifle or shotgun in your hands) then I'd recommend a 3"-4" .357, .44mag or .45LC.

I like to carry a handgun because when I have to go in and drag one out of our super thick brush or swampy areas, I lock the long gun in the car so I have both hands free. I feel very comfortable tracking wounded game or dragging out a dead deer/hog with a handgun on.

My S&W 629 .44mag has a 6.5" bbl and carries much better in a vert. shoulder holster than on my hip. Shorter bbl's fit and carry real well on your hip or in a pocket, or in a shoulder rig, the shorter bbl opens up all kinds of options. Last year I left my .44 at home on more than one ocassion in favor of one of my .45acp's. The .45acp isn't nearly the round the .44mag is, but I'm not hunting with it, it is there for self defense or a finishing shot, that's all.
Old September 21, 2006, 12:12 PM   #7
springmom

Well, I have my eye on a Ruger SBH .44 mag eventually, but can't do that right now so I take my Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP. It won't do in a bear, but then there really is not a bear population of any significance down where I hunt. And if I can't kill something smaller than that with two magazines of .45 hollowpoints, I need to not be out there in the first place

But one of these days, a SBH.

Springmom, always looking for a reason to have another gun My poor husband....

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 21, 2006, 02:34 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Well I'm certainly no expert hunter, but the best sidearm ordinarily, and what I personally carry, is a .22lr revolver, with several rounds of .22lr, and several rounds of aguila super colibri. The .22lr is for said coup de grace on deer, or for opportunistic squirrel/rabbit/raccoon, when I don't care about spooking other game. The super colibris are for shooting squirrels that are very close (close enough for a head shot) - 7 yards or less - and who are chattering away at me,, letting every animal in the forest know of my presence - super colibris are very quiet!

If I'm in an area where feral dog packs or pumas are a concern, a .45 colt revolver instead of the .22, or both.

Last edited by FirstFreedom; September 21, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old September 21, 2006, 05:06 PM   #9
taylorce1

I don't carry while hunting, I just don't feel that I need to and I can either save weight or carry something else that I might need. If you are going to carry while hunting make sure that it is legal to hunt with in your State for the type of game you are hunting. In CO the minimum cal is basicly something equal to a .41mag, getting caught by the Game Warden putting down a wounded animal with a smaller caliber can get you a hefty fine.

Last edited by taylorce1; September 23, 2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old September 21, 2006, 05:49 PM   #10
jhgreasemonkey

Quote:
I like to carry a handgun because when I have to go in and drag one out of our super thick brush or swampy areas, I lock the long gun in the car so I have both hands free. I feel very comfortable tracking wounded game or dragging out a dead deer/hog with a handgun on.
Thats a good point.
Old September 22, 2006, 02:36 AM   #11
trooper3385

I've never felt the need to carry one while hunting as well. However, if I was going to carry one, I would go with a 44 mag. I've loaned my S&W 629 out to my brother in law several times while hiking and scouting for Elk in New Mexico and Colorado. If I had a charging Bear or pig coming at me and I didn't have I rifle, I'd be alittle more comfortable with a 44 mag than the others. You might look into one of the titinium 44 mags. It's probably not too much fun to shoot one of those much, but it would be alot lighter to carry around while hunting. You listed that you want a Taures Raging Bull 44 mag. Look into that. Also, if you ever wanted to get into hand gun hunting, the 44 mag will be more effective than the 357. Nothing against the 357. It an excellent round and serves it's purpose as well if not better than the rest, but the 44 mag is going to be alittle more forgiving as far as hunting purposes that the 357.
Old September 22, 2006, 09:11 AM   #12
rem33

Art and Firstfreedom have it right in IMO.
All I carry on foot is a tiny 22 revolver in one front pocket and a old Buck 110 (440c steel) in the other, nothing on my belt, and a pair of binoculars around my neck.
Old September 22, 2006, 01:42 PM   #13
Scorch

I'm not sure I really understand the need for a sidearm while hunting with a rifle. The rifle is a lot more powerful than any handgun, and for the weight, you can pack several boxes of ammo. If your hunting area is so overrun with man-eating wolves and rabid bears that you need to defend yourself, the rifle will do the job nicely. If you are concerned about 2-legged animals, the rifle will convince them too.
Old September 22, 2006, 01:47 PM   #14
22-rimfire

I'd go with a 22LR double action revolver. You don't have one. Your choice as there have been lots of threads on the topic. Good for most things since you have a rifle already. My woods gun is either a 357 mag or 41 mag depending on what mood I'm in. I would not be lugging around a rifle with one of those on unless it was a 22.
Old September 22, 2006, 02:01 PM   #15
springmom

The reason for the sidearm is as a backup. We were hunting recently on a private ranch and my Remington 700 extractor failed, jamming two rounds into the barrel at once. The ranch owner finished off the hog I'd shot for me, but it proves the point that a backup sufficient for a Texas feral hog would have been a good thing. And a .22 wouldn't have done much but irritate her

A .44 mag is in my future. Just don't know when...

Springmom

home on the web:

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 22, 2006, 08:35 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Scorch, it's one of those situational deals. I've never been bothered by either a cougar or a black bear down here, but they're around. Still, I very rarely ever carry a handgun.

springmom's in a different deal, messing around with hogs...

, Art
Old September 22, 2006, 10:26 PM   #17
22-rimfire

Springmom, I ocasionally have similar jams with a Rem 700 if my hands are cold or I load up in the dark. In every case, it is because I loaded the magazine wrong and had the rounds too close to the front of the magazine (chamber side).
Old September 22, 2006, 10:43 PM   #18
Fat White Boy

The only time I carry a sidearm is when I am hunting hogs. Sometimes, when you think they are dead, they will jump up and try to kill you before they die. I use a Ruger SS Security Six in .357 and a 4" barrel.

Last edited by Fat White Boy; September 23, 2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old September 23, 2006, 05:41 PM   #19
Arizona Fusilier

I had a close encounter with a mountain lion while on a deer hunt (I've posted that here before). While it didn't turn out to be a deadly encounter (he went away after about a 10 minute stand off), I got to thinking about how fast the old turn-bolt would turn if he charged that 30 feet. Given the cover between us, I thought I might have had one shot.

That's went I started carrying a handgun while hunting. I also hunt down on the border; that's always a good idea to have something for two-legged critters (but that's another thread).

Normally its a .357, sometimes a .41; but the admonishment to make sure its hunting-legal is well advised.
Old September 23, 2006, 10:36 PM   #20
taylorce1

I'll be honest the reason I've never felt the need to carry a pistol while hunting is because I'm a pi$$ poor shot with one. I prefer to spend my time shooting rifles and I never practice with pistols. I've owned two in my life a 1911 .45, and a Ruger Single Six .22lr/.22wmr. I sold the 1911 but still have the Ruger, and I'm still a pi$$ poor shot with a pistol. Pistol shooting requires more practice than what I want to give to it to be proficent to use it as a back up.

I have a friend who carries a .44 when hunting bear using a muzzle loader. He says he can draw the pistol faster than he can reload his rifle to get a second shot off if he is in trouble.
Old September 23, 2006, 11:36 PM   #21
springmom

Quote:
Springmom, I ocasionally have similar jams with a Rem 700 if my hands are cold or I load up in the dark. In every case, it is because I loaded the magazine wrong and had the rounds too close to the front of the magazine (chamber side).
I've seen that before, too. This, however, was a four-star screwup of the extractor. Older 700's are apparently prone to that, and it was just my time. I would have noticed the issue earlier but our target range only allows one round in the gun at a time, so when I went and sighted in, I reloaded each time and therefore never had to actually have the thing feed a round.

I let the ranch owner take a look at it....he figured if he could replicate the problem (noon, good light, not cold out) that it was in fact the extractor and sure as you're born, bam, it screwed up for him too. So it's at the rifle doctor getting an extractor operation

Murphy's Law exhibit one, that day!

Springmom

home on the web:

Old September 24, 2006, 11:22 AM   #22
pumpkinheaver

I generally have my Kimber .45 or my blackhawk .41mag with me while deer hunting.
Old September 24, 2006, 09:41 PM   #23
TomG160

For me....

I've recently started squirrel hunting in northern Michigan. While I've not yet seen it myself, a few people in the area (within 1/4 mile of my property) have sighted a black bear. The fact that there may be a bear around didn't cross my mind as I left my cabin to go hunt some squirrels (excited for the new experience). While changing from one hunting spot to another, I happened across a large pile of _______ that I can only imagine coming from a bear. As I looked up I couldn't help thinking, "it's really going to suck big time if I run into whatever made that with only my 10/22. I'd really like to have my Taurus 24/7 (.40 cal) with 15 rounds in it about now..." It was sobering to think I could be hunted just like the squirrels.

...this is a reason why I could see someone wanting/needing a sidearm

Last edited by TomG160; September 24, 2006 at 09:43 PM. Reason: one more thing....
Old September 24, 2006, 11:50 PM   #24
Zorro

.22 LR.

Unless you are in Alaska you will get 10,000% more usability out of a .22 Auto in real use.
Old September 24, 2006, 11:54 PM   #25
Savage10FP308

The Ruger suggestion was a plus...

I am turning 21 in about a month nd a half and I have had my eyes on a 6 in Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag. It's a nice looking revolver and I hear a lot of good things about Rugers. Does a 6in bbl really carry well in a vertical shoulder holster? I have no experience whatsoever with carrying! Thanks for all the replies every body!