The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old May 16, 2005, 05:57 PM   #1
gburner

Cheney to run for prez.

Fox news reported today that the scuttle around DC is that Dick Cheney is gonna run for the Repub. nomination in 07/08. This has been hinted at before but not as stongly as it is currently. I had thought that his heart condition made this a moot point. If it happens it'll be interesting to see who his VEEP pick is...
Condi Rice, perhaps?

For the record, my teenage sons would rather see Abe Simpson run.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:00 PM   #2
FrankDrebin

I'd vote for Cheny/McKaney....
Old May 16, 2005, 06:15 PM   #3
jefnvk

I dunno about that one. Most people I know that dislike the Bush Admin, have more against Cheney than Bush. Throw in his age, helth, and the fact that he has had the stress of being VP for 8 years, I'm just gonna have to say this is a bad choice.

I would be less suprised to see Rice run for President than him.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:20 PM   #4
dasmi

I wouldn't vote for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans ran him. My party leaders seem to have been making a whole lot of horrible choices lately, and running Cheney against Hilary (probably) would be yet another one.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:34 PM   #5
70-101

I hope Mad Dog Cheney does run for President;I could use a good laugh. Like this country needs another Chicken Hawk in the White House.

<-- 70-101 Listening to Cheney speech on his energy policy.
Old May 16, 2005, 06:47 PM   #6
Vitamin G

Im voting for Condi Rice....

And I dont care who is actually running.
Old May 16, 2005, 07:11 PM   #7
perception

Well, I can't say that I care for Bush, but I do feel he has many strengths required for the president, but there is no way I would possibly vote for Cheney. I pray the republicans do not run him, as I would never vote for Hillary, but I could not vote for Cheney, and that I almost as bad as a vote for Hillary.
Old May 16, 2005, 08:07 PM   #8
RWK

I admire Cheney and I believe he would be a fine President. However, I very much doubt if the GOP would nominate him (or he'd run), due to:
1) age
2) heart condition
3) "pit bull" image and actions as VPOTUS, SecDef, and other Executive Branch leadership positions
4) "fat cat" perception (Halliburton, et al)
5) easy target for the Dems to personally pillory -- rhyming intentionally with Hillary -- without ever having to address/debate the real issues
Old May 16, 2005, 08:09 PM   #9
dolanp

Ugh no way. People like to hate him more than Bush. The Left always portrays him as the evil Haliburton puppet master. That would be a losing ticket for sure.
Old May 16, 2005, 08:28 PM   #10
FrankDrebin

The Democrats would love to see Rice nominated for pres.
Old May 16, 2005, 09:06 PM   #11
Waitone

I believe Cheney will run for president.

I also believe Hillary will turn republican right after 2006.

No, really! There are people who actually think Hillary will out herself as a closet republican.

Both rumors are entertaining.
Old May 16, 2005, 09:24 PM   #12
jefnvk

Quote:
The Democrats would love to see Rice nominated for pres.
Why is that? I think that would be a very bad thing for the Dems. If the Republicans, the party who supports slavery and opression of minorities, put not only the first black person in the presidency, but also the first woman? Opposed to the love-all Dems, who ran another New England liberal?
Old May 16, 2005, 10:02 PM   #13
novus collectus

Quote:
No, really! There are people who actually think Hillary will out herself as a closet republican.
I am a democrat and even I think that she is just going the direction of the wind. If she thinks it wil get her elected, she's for it. She is one of those politicians who does what they have to, to get into the house of power, and when they get there they do what they really want.

Cheney will get eaten alive for his past transgressions that were overshadowed in the last election by the drowning sounds of "flip flop flip flop" against Kerry. Karl Rove can only do so much to hide the truth about a candidate by mud slinging and name calling and make a candidate's blunders disappear.

If the democrats get their own Rove and goes down the low dirty road too, then it will be an even heat no matter who runs. I can see Hilary doing the low road.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:58 PM   #14
IZinterrogator

Quote:
If the Republicans, the party who supports slavery and opression of minorities, put not only the first black person in the presidency, but also the first woman?
Heh, they are already going to put a white woman and a black woman that have been held back by the Dems for federal courtships up for a vote. I'm going to love watching the Democrat leadership explaining why they don't want them on the bench.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old May 17, 2005, 05:40 AM   #15
LAK

Cheney ... in that tough, ruthless WWF ring? I doubt it.

Don't know who they will dress in the different colored shorts for "the match", but one of them might be Mark Warner. Mark Warner was in a meeting with some very influential people recently.
Old May 17, 2005, 09:13 AM   #16
FirstFreedom

Condi Rice in '08 baby!

http://www.ohioccw.org/modules.php?n...ticle&sid=2529

or Cheney/Rice

as far as gun rights are concerned, that'd be a nice ticket.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:55 PM   #17
buzz_knox

I'd be seriously surprised if Cheney lasts this term in office. I figure his health will take a setback, and you'll have a replacement VP put in place, who will then receive the Rep. nomination.
Old May 17, 2005, 03:37 PM   #18
USP45usp

Buzz,

I think that is the plan. Who is up to be VP if Cheney dies or is too ill to hold the post?

Think about it .

Wayne
Old May 17, 2005, 03:49 PM   #19
FrankDrebin

Quote:
Why is that? I think that would be a very bad thing for the Dems. If the Republicans, the party who supports slavery and opression of minorities, put not only the first black person in the presidency, but also the first woman? Opposed to the love-all Dems, who ran another New England liberal?
There aren't enough European-American Republicans yet who will vote for an African American female. The dems will put up a conservative (by there standards) candidate and win. The Republicans won't take that chance. Call me cynical, but I bet my blue 3" model 29 that Rice won't be the Republican nomination for Pres.
Old May 17, 2005, 03:58 PM   #20
USP45usp

Quote:
There aren't enough European-American Republicans yet who will vote for an African American female.
True, but I would also like to add that the same holds true for Blacks (on both sides) who most look at her as an "uncle tom".

In the Mexican (Latino) culture, women are considered lower then men (that the man is the one who is supposed to be head of house, bring home the money, etc..).

Also, in many Asian cultures, again the women is considered weaker and has a lower place then men.

So, don't put this solely on the heads of Whites and Republicans. Take in ALL factors.

Wayne
Old May 17, 2005, 05:01 PM   #21
Long Path

I sincerely hope (and halfway believe) that this is a distraction technique to take the focus off Condi. She's got a difficult (almost impossible) minefield to negotiate over the next 3.5 years, and doesn't need folks joggling her elbow.

RWK's reasons are exactly why I do NOT want Dick Cheney as a candidate against Hillary in 2008. Talk about polarized perceptions-- he'll actually cast Hillary as a moderate.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:24 PM   #22
FrankDrebin

Quote:
True, but I would also like to add that the same holds true for Blacks (on both sides) who most look at her as an "uncle tom".
I don't know, I think there are a bunch of African Americans who would vote for her just because she's African American just as there are plenty of European Americans who would refuse to vote for her only because she's African American. I won't guess what the ratio/per capita would be.....I just don't think it will happen this time.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:31 PM   #23
novus collectus

Quote:
It is not the "uncle Tom" thought as it is for the thought that she does not represent blacks interests except for black republicans and religious conservative blacks who she will likely pander to. Only the bigoted African Americans would say that she is an Uncle Tom (like the Farraklaners) and the rest would treat her like any other candidate who will not move towards liberal social programs and simillar. However, Colin Powell would get support of practically the entire African American community IMO, and I would most likely vote for him too even though I am a white democrat since he appears to be a moderate.
Quote:
I sincerely hope (and halfway believe) that this is a distraction technique to take the focus off Condi.
I get the impression that the main reason she has been kissing Bush's @ss for the last 10 years (or however long she has been his lackey) is because she knew that there would be political rewards from him and his supporters (it is also possible that she believed some of the lies she told for him). I believe that she knew what was next when she knew Powell was being let go. She must know that she is being groomed for either the VP or presidential republican candidate.

(side note: I am going to a historic black university and I have never received a definite response as to how to refer to African Americans as either black or A. American. So please do not think that I wasn't trying to be P.C. when using both.)
Old May 17, 2005, 06:12 PM   #24
Long Path

Okay, time to do a little background on Dr. C. Rice.

After receiving her bachelor's at 19 and her PhD in political science at 26, C Rice taught Political Science at Stanford since 1981, winning some prestegious teaching awards. Sometime during the mid-to-late '80s, she became an advisor to the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Folks, this is not a political position-- it's about whether you have the knowledge, period. Rice had the goods, and moved up fast. As she was an East Germany and Soviet Union expert, she was key in advising the elder Bush administration during German reunification and the fall of the Soviet Union during 1989 through 1991, serving as Director and then as Senior Director of Soviet and East European Affairs in the National Security Council. Then she served as Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. After that, she served as Provost At Stanford for 6 years, and served on some federal committees.

Okay, this is key: Rice is a smart person who knows how to give a good lecture that imparts what she means to say. That's why she's a good professor. Now think-- what's the biggest perception problem that this administration has? Our current President is not particularly well-spoken, and is perceived as "dumb." No one could EVER mistake Dr. Rice for a dumb person.

Now, as to the brown-nosing comment, I would have to point out that there's a difference between showing loyalty and "kissing... a$s." While winning her spurs as an international authority in foreign affairs, Rice spent a lot of time among military types, and likely learned a lot about loyalty. It does NO ONE any good to criticize your commander or boss when you're on the job. Colin Powell knew it, and C. Rice is likewise a good soldier, so to speak.

Gimme a well-spoken academic brainiac like Rice over a miscast, ill-thought-of industry captain with a heart condition and a reputation as a pit bull, any day of the week-- especially when she's given a reasoned view that the 2nd Amendment is as important as the First. Folks-- she's our candidate. Now let's all stop talking about it for a couple of years and let Cheney absorb the slings and arrows that the Democrats will cast...
Old May 17, 2005, 06:29 PM   #25
USP45usp

I was wrong, the radio host and many of the Black leadership called her Aunt Jemima", they called Colin Powell "Uncle Tom". But you get my drift.

As for not many Whites would vote for her, I think that you are wrong. Unless you can prove to me why you think this (I can prove to you that many Black talk show hosts, leadership like Sharpton and Al, as well as many of the Black Caucus members in office right now have said that she is a traitor among other things).

I've yet to read about Whites writing articles, using media, and talking in front of audiences using these remarks.

I think that she would do well. (Oh, and I'm one of those White people from the South that you're alluding too ).

Wayne