The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2005, 01:59 AM   #1
perception

Reloading bench

Alright, I plan on starting to reload my own. I think I will splurge and get a dillon reloader, but I dont know much else about reloading. As far as a reloading bench goes, what kind of features do you look for. Im pretty handy, so I can build my own, but I was wondering what kind of layout might work best.
Old March 16, 2005, 03:30 AM   #2
klgreene

reloading bench

If you're pretty handy with carpentry tools...you can construct a very nice bench for a minimal amount of $$. The easiest way I could tell you, is to use your imagination and build what suits your needs. Cabinets, drawers, and counterspace are considerations that you may want to keep in mind. Do a google image search for reloading benches to give you some ideas. It's all in what you want/need. Just remember it must be sturdy!!

There are no "stupid questions"...There are, however... Alot of "inquisitive idiots!"
Old March 16, 2005, 08:45 AM   #3
CaptainRazor

One of the best things to use are kitchen counter tops. You can probably find damaged or blemished ones at your local counter shop.

One other thing to keep in mind, the height of the bench is important. If you plan on standing while loading, make sure you set it up so your press is at eye level. The same for setting while loading.

Nothing ruins a good loading session more than a sore back from bending over all the time to see what you are doing.

Make sure you mount the press where you have plenty of room left on the bench for working (loading trays, small boxes, etc.)

The sturdier you mount it, the better, sometimes it takes a good bit of force to pull a rifle case out of the press.

My presses are mounted to my bench with drywall screws. I haven't had any trouble so far, and if a I decided to "remodel" I can zip them out with a cordless drill.

If you think it out, all the way, you should be able to set yourself up with little trouble.

Good luck!
Old March 16, 2005, 08:47 AM   #4
HankL

stevespages has a LINK
to a P.D.F. of the National Reloading Manufacturer's bench plans. I looked on the NRMA site and did not the the plans listed. Also you can do a search for
bench right here in Handloading and Reloading for some good ideas.
HTH
Old March 16, 2005, 09:32 AM   #5
sundog

Bench plans at NRMA are here: http://www.reload-nrma.com/orderform.html
Old March 17, 2005, 12:03 PM   #6
karpins

I purchased a Black and Decker Workmate Model 425 and added several pieces of plywood to the top for addition stability.
The Black and Decker Model 425 Workmate has the front legs moved forward for additional stability.
Secured my Lee Loadmaster and also a single station Classic press to the top.
Works out great, solid and stable and very portable.