The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 20, 2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Northern Gal

Need help w/ reassembling my new EMP

Please move this if this isn't the proper place to post.

I bought a Springfield EMP this weekend, so I went on You Tube and watched a great video on how to disassemble and reassemble it. I took it down and cleaned it just fine yesterday, but I can't get the slide stop back in during reassembly. I line it up w/ the hole on the barrel and start sliding it in, however, I can't get the right hand side of the slide stop to push in - it seems like the slide stop is too long (which, of course, I know it isn't). What am I doing wrong? All suggestions are very welcome.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:02 PM   #2
john323

Do you have it lined up with the notch on the slide?

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old March 20, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
CowTowner

It should look something like what is shown in the attached picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reass06.jpg (65.5 KB, 19 views)
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 20, 2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Northern Gal

CowTowner: The problem I'm having is that the right edge will not fit to slide down under the notch in the slide - it hits that piece on the right that butts up to it when it's in place correctly. I'm obviously doing something wrong such that the hole that lines up w/ the barrel for the slide stop to go into is just a bit too far right. (Does that make sense?)
Old March 20, 2012, 02:38 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

The "piece on the right" is a spring-loaded plunger. It *will* move out of the way to let the slide stop pin snap into place, but it can be a little tricky, especially with a new gun, or with a shooter that's not used to the procedure. Make sure you apply force inward and slightly upward (toward the slide). If you press downward, the slide stop pin will rotate clockwise and give you a nice scratch from the plunger to the trigger guard opening.
Old March 20, 2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Northern Gal

Thanks so much - this is very helpful! I'd like to take it out again tomorrow after work, so I really want to get this figured out.