The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 2, 2000, 04:22 PM   #1
Joey

I've got a Stoeger SxS 12ga we use in Cowboy Action Shooting and we are trying to tame the recoil for the wife. Right now using feather light loads she can't shoot it without major problems.

The stock has a 3/4"x 7" hole and I was wondering if one of those mercury recoil suppressors or some other kind of recoil tamer will fit in this small of a hole, and what one would be the best. I've though of just dumping in some lead shot hoping this will cut down on the recoil a tad.

I've looked into getting a recoil pad added on but no gunsmith can have it done by the 1oth of Aug when we need it for a match.

Are the lace on recoil pads any good or should I just wait and have a gunsmith put on a recoil pad. What brand of recoil pad asorb's the most recoil??

------------------
SAS RKBA freedom Scottsbluff Cowboy Shooters Cheyenne Regulators
Old August 2, 2000, 08:24 PM   #2
Jon K

Joey,
The hole in the stock will not be big enough for a murcury suppresor. You would need to drill a second hole of the correct size for the suppresor.
The Pachmeyer Triple Recoil Pad is the one that I have found soaks up the most recoil. You will have to have wood removed from the butt stock to keep the same length of pull.
You could buy a slip on pad for the match if it will not adversley affect the length of pull.
Have you considered barrel porting? John K

------------------
NRA MEMBER? GREAT, NOW JOIN GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
Old August 2, 2000, 11:27 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Over on the Shotgun BB there's been lots of threads about reducing kick. Check the archives.

Also, adding some lead shot is a good idea but only if it's fixed in position. If it can move back and forth, the felt recoil will be WORSE, not better.

Another trick to reducing recoil is to have a good smith lengthen the forcing cone. This cuts the recoil a tad, and improves patterns.