The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2011, 08:19 PM   #1
T1gger

Cerakoting question

So, I'm planning on possibly picking up an inexpensive 1911 and doing some work on it. I'm looking into a cerakote finish, but I know you have to sandblast the gun first. Seeing as I don't have one sitting out in the back yard, where do you do your sandblasting when refinishing a gun on your own??
Old February 8, 2011, 09:02 PM   #2
DnPRK

If the 1911 is parkerized, it doesn't need to be sandblasted. Just thoroughly degrease it with a couple spray cans of brake cleaner.

If it is blued or stainless, you'll need to lightly blast it. You can google cheap single use media blasters for use with your air compressor. Be sure to use fine aluminum oxide.
Old March 24, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
NIC-Kote

Cerakote Information

If you have any questions regarding Cerakote Please visit the NIC-Cerakote website at http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php

If you do not find the answers to your questions you can contact Matt or Brandon at (541) 826-1922 x 111

To find a cerified or reccommended applicator closest to you please vist NIC's http://www.nicindustries.com/applicator_search.php
Old March 24, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Geezerbiker

Consider soda blasting. It can be done outside and the left over stuff can be hosed away without hurting the environment. It also cleans parts and leaves soft metals without rouging them up.

I bought my soda blaster for motorcycle carb parts but now I use it for all sorts of things. As a bonus my wife says the left over soda kills the moss in the yard...

Tony
Old March 28, 2011, 01:30 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

NIC-K, uses...

I agree with NIC K's post.

If you plan to carry the firearm for defense or protection, have a custom or professional service do it.
The website; www.APWcogan.com has a link to a chart where you can view different colors of Cerakote on a Glock duty pistol.

I like the tans & dark browns.