The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
willr

Range allows no reloads

There is a new range in our area which allows no reloads to be fired. Their statement is that it is an insurance issue. Has anyone else heard of such a policy? They restrict to only fmj and fully plated bullets. If these are the ones used for reloads, why would "insurance be an issue?

willr
Old May 5, 2013, 05:15 PM   #2
JimDandy

They may be fibbing. They may want the brass to stay in their place, but I doubt that. I suspect the real reason is they just don't want to get in the news when someone has an accident.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:18 PM   #3
GP100man

Mo Money spent in house !!!

Every indoor I`ve shot at has a liability waiver.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:20 PM   #4
P5 Guy

No Reloads

None of the ranges I go to in and around the Tampa FL area have that restriction. I have read that some indoor ranges prohibit any rounds that the bullet attracts a magnet as they feel that causes undue wear and tear on the bullet trap.
One chain gun shop/range will not sell you ammo unless you shoot it at their range, due to scarce ammo.
I can see the insurance issue if some over zealous reloader blew up a gun and hurt some of the other patrons.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Plumbnut

The range I frequent sells reloads....LOL. They also sell reloading supplies
Old May 5, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Shootest

I would find a different range.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:10 PM   #7
JimDandy

Just had a thought.. do they ban all reloads, or just the reloads in the guns they rent? My ranges require ammunition bought in their store used in the guns rented in their range.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Misssissippi Dave

I've been to a fairly new range with a policy of any case that touches the floor becomes property of the range. They have a deal with a reloading company and need as much brass as possible. I would guess they are also using any lead captured in their trap goes towards reloads as well. I have not heard of reload being forbidden by the insurance policy they have. I have heard of some ranges discouraging the use of reloads because of someone destroying a gun with a double charge in the past. These places make certain you sign a release prior to using reloads.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:15 PM   #9
deepcreek

I have ever heard of such a rule, some ranges sell reloads. I would find somewhere else to shoot.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:28 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I have never been to a raange that banned reloads for ones use in thier own guns. I have seen several that if you rent thier guns, you have to use thier ammo.

One indoor range does ban use of aluminum cased ammo, and full wad cutters. As well as no steel core ammo. Other than that there is a nothing bigger than .44 Mag limit due to damage to the back stop.

One range is antsy about people picking up any brass off of the ground. I will only shoot steel case ammo if I go there. (Which I have not in over 3 years.)
Old May 5, 2013, 06:28 PM   #11
FLChinook

I understand First Sight only allows factory ammo for use in their self-defense courses and I can see some justification for that; the reliability may be higher since not all reloads are created with the same care.

Does anyone know of any data about the frequency of "reload failure"? If that were a number like 1:100, then perhaps the issue extra range time could be the thinking. I suspect the number is more like 1:1000 and extra range time would be insignificant...
Old May 5, 2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Geezerbiker

I would be willing to drive another 30 miles to use a range were I could shoot my reloads and I would also skip ranges that make you leave your brass on the floor.

Tony
Old May 5, 2013, 07:05 PM   #13
JimDandy

I'm ok being forced to leave them if they cross the "red line"... but any floor is way too much.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Misssissippi Dave

When I compare my reloads to factory ammo the failure rate is about equal. I base this on many thousands of each.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:17 PM   #15
arch308

I don't have that problem around here. Sometimes, when it's not too busy, they will help collect your brass for you. I think they just want to sell you ammo.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:26 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

The only mishaps I have had with reloads were 2 squibs from too light a load in a revolver. And one blown primer in a rifle round.

With factory ammo. During the last shortage I had 3 squibs from 3 boxes of the same maker's ammo. From 3 different lots. I have had one case failure with the same maker's .30 Carbine ammo. The case seperated. I had to use chamber casting alloy to get the stuck reminaing end of the case out. I would up with the bottom of my magazine blown out. I found the spring, follower, and floor plate. Put it back together, and all was fine.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Plumbnut

There was a guy next to me at the range today with a .357 (no idea what brand) and he was shooting factory ammo......I swear he was having FTF at least every other time he loaded his gun.

Kind of concerned me because he would just pull the trigger again and the bad round would be cycled forward.......I was thinking what if it decided to fire a few second later?

I started stnding back when he would shoot. what you guys think? Gun or ammo????
Old May 5, 2013, 07:32 PM   #18
redrick

The closest indoor range in my area only allows you to use factory ammo purchased from them. You can keep are the brass you can find.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:32 PM   #19
Beanie-Bean

You can always use a brass catcher, and your brass would never hit the deck...
Old May 5, 2013, 07:45 PM   #20
JimDandy

I've got the one from CTK, and it's not 100% but close enough to be worthwhile.
Old May 5, 2013, 08:17 PM   #21
kraigwy

A lot of ranges are going that route, or, using lead free ammo.

It's their range and their policy.

Our indoor range doesn't care, but out doors, during the summer fire season no steel bullets, or bullets that attract magnets. In the winter its they are OK, I was one of the guys pushing for that rule.

I shoot some at the Clackamas County Sheriffs Range when I go to Portland. (Its open to the public). They require you buy and use their "lead free" bullets but the prices are reasonable.

For example, for the LEOSA qualification they charge $45. That includes ammo.

I'm all for what ever keeps the range open.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 5, 2013, 09:19 PM   #22
Gadawg88

B.S. Vote with your wallet and find a different range.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:42 PM   #23
reynolds357

We got thrown out of the only indoor range I have ever shot in. Shot 416 Rigby with tungsten steel solids and knocked big huge dents into their bullet trap.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:02 AM   #24
jag2

Greed, pure and simple. Why don't you have some fun and tell them you have a friend who is an insurance agent and he can get them a policy without that requirement. Watch 'em squirm.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:41 AM   #25
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Has anyone else heard of such a policy?
First time I've ever heard of this type of Range policy.
I suspect the range owner/owners want to keep things on an even keal. Store bought ammo so to speak lets the other Lane shooters know that. That someone shooting next to them is using common off the store shelf ammunition. If another's weapon being fired next to their Lane sounds a bit loud or has a little bit to much repercussion? They'll just have to deal with it. Or perhaps step away for a moment and put on better hearing protection.

Quote:
They restrict to only fmj and fully plated bullets.
Promo (FMJ) ammo is much cheaper than a manufactures premium stuff. You actually got a break there believe it or not. (I guess it all boils down to.) If you want to go on shooting there you'll just have to fire store bought ammo.

S/S