The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2011, 03:26 PM   #26
dcody40

I was waiting for someone to say reload !

That's the way to go, and it's a fun addition to your shooting hobby, and you even get better rounds. Once you fire your brass, you use it again and again, depending on how hot your loading, This isn't the reloading section so I'll leave it alone. But the bottom line is, it's lower cost to roll your own.

Duane USN/ret
Old July 27, 2011, 06:28 PM   #27
THORN74

Quote:
C0untZer0 In Illinois I can't purchase ammo without a FOID, but I'm not sure how people in IL purchase ammo online - or if they can.

Does anyone have any info on this?
99% of the places u order from online just need a copy of ur IL DL and FOID card ... just scan them in color at work or home and save the file to ur computer. place ur order with the site and send a follow up email with ur order # and attached file.
Springfield Armory Inc. M1A Scout 7.62X51mm NATO -- Kar 98AZ (1917 Erfurt) 8mm Mauser -- Marlin Model 60 Glenfield .22LR -- Marlin 795 .22LR -- Marlin 915y .22LR -- AR15 5.56x45mm NATO -- Springfield Armory M1 Garand 30-06
Old July 27, 2011, 06:48 PM   #28
Doc Intrepid

I purchase bulk ammunition online frequently, and have always had excellent results. Generally speaking it is less expensive than most of the ammunition in town, and while it is often bulk military hardball rather than hunting loads, it is fine for range training.

My only caution is that should anyone (say, for example, some activist group or a hacker or Rupert Murdoch's journalists or whatever) decide to take a look at what you're ordering online, the general public would no doubt freak out about anyone ordering ammunition in 500 or 1000 or 5000 round bulk lots.

So, there is that to consider...
Old July 27, 2011, 07:00 PM   #29
itchy1

Check out usaammo.com if you get a chance. Very reasonable prices for both new and remanufactured ammo. The fact that the company is owned by Veterans is also a plus in my book.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:38 PM   #30
larryh1108

+1 on Sportsman's Guide. About once every 6 weeks they offer free shipping over the weekend. I buy my ammo then. Their prices are usually about $11-$12 for 50 shipped of brand names 124gr FMJ range ammo. I buy 250 of each size I shoot and don't have to pay sales tax. You order on Sunday and Wednesday it is at your front door. They do have the $10 off coupons as well getting the cost to about $10/50 delivered if you are a club member ($35 annual fee). They asked for my FOID card on the first shipment and keep it with your account and have never asked for it again.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:46 PM   #31
MidwestRookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORN74
99% of the places u order from online just need a copy of ur IL DL and FOID card ... just scan them in color at work or home and save the file to ur computer. place ur order with the site and send a follow up email with ur order # and attached file.
yep, simple as that. I just usually send close-up actual shots of the FOID and driver's license since it looks a lot better than a scan. no problems yet..

I order from ammotogo almost exclusively, but even sent the same things to a couple websites that sell reloading equipment as they need it to order bullets..
Old July 28, 2011, 03:31 AM   #32
thump_rrr

Quote:
I've noticed most gun manufacturers state in the owners manual that using reloads can void the warranty. My Glock owners manual certainly says that and so does my Kahr manual
So does my Springfield manual.
It is understandable since they don't want to be repairing guns damaged by your reloading mistakes.

As long as you're honest and don't try to send in for warranty repair a gun that blew up due to a reloading error what they don't know won't hurt them.

Most of my reloads are lighter than factory ammo since my goal is a power factor of 170 for IPSC competition.

A Lee 50th Aniversary kit, a set of dies, 2 reloading blocks, and a small digital scale is all it took to get me started.
Old July 28, 2011, 04:04 AM   #33
NWCP

ammoman.com usually ends up with my money since he pays for shipping. I've never had a problem with them, or their product.
Old July 28, 2011, 04:17 AM   #34
MidwestRookie

no, you pay for shipping, it's just hidden in the price of the ammo...

nothing is ever free...
Old July 28, 2011, 05:18 PM   #35
AK103K

Youre right, nothing is free, and you are paying the shipping in the price, but at least hes up front with what its going to cost (which usually is still cheaper too), and if its in stock.

Nothing is more annoying to find out youve been sucked in with a teaser price, and then find out its out you still need to pay shipping, and its out of stock to boot.
Old July 28, 2011, 07:36 PM   #36
MidwestRookie

you make a fair point..
Old July 29, 2011, 05:46 AM   #37
thump_rrr

Since I roll my own I don't purchase ammo online but you can also ask if they price match.

I was looking at purchasing a set of tires for my car yesterday.
The online retailer I normally buy from was out of stock so I had to look elsewhere.

I found a pair in California. They wanted $375.00 per tire which included free shipping but didn't include the $20 handling fee for the pair so the total price was $770.00 out the door. The problem was that it would take 5-7 business days for the tires to arrive here.

I called another company which was showing the tires as in stock. Their advertised price was $406.00 a tire plus $36.00 shipping for the pair.
I had their employee confirm that the tires would be shipping from their warehouse in Ohio and would arrive in 1 day at their destination.
I then asked him if they price matched and he said sure as long as the product has the same manufacturers code and they could verify that the price was being advertised elsewhere.

I pointed him in the direction of the other companies website and I should be getting my tires today instead of in 10 days from now for $78.00 less than I would have paid.
Old July 29, 2011, 03:42 PM   #38
mrvco

Most of the LGS's around here seem to focus on high-dollar speciality SD handgun ammunition rather than bulk range ammo.

Ordering in lots of 1000, I seem to be able to save anywhere between $40 and $60 depending upon the caliber versus buying 100 round Winchester white-box ammunition at the local Wally-worlds and paying sales tax. The only problem with Wally-world is that availability is pretty hit or miss.
Old July 30, 2011, 10:01 AM   #39
10P8TRIOT

I always have my eyes open for online ammo deals (I live in a state with 9.5% sales tax). In the last 6 months, I've bought 5 1000 rd cases of 9mm ammo from various reputable ammo dealers like SGAmmo and AmmunitionToGo. Since learning of their business practices, I will never buy from LuckyGunner, BulkAmmo, et al. My price target is $200/case delivered. The deals are out there if you look. I'm not talking about remanufactured or Russian made ammo, although I'm sure my SIGs wouldn't have a problem with them. My recent purchases have been Fiocchi, S&B, Magtech, Speer Lawman and RWS. My latest purchase was the Swiss made RWS ammo from WeaponsWorld for just under $200/case delivered.
Old July 30, 2011, 10:32 AM   #40
WVsig

My 3 tops ones are:

SG Ammo: for defense ammo
weapons world: RWS swiss 124 gr ammo for $189 is awesome here.
Dans ammo: I can get Fiocchi for $209 shipped.

These all offer solid pricing with fast reasonable shipping. I also keep an eye out for deals at the big retailers like bass pro, gander & Cabelas. With coupons and free shipping I have gotten factory brass cased ammo under $.08 a piece. Delivered.

The goal is to beat WWB or Champion at Wally world and get better ammo to boot.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:25 PM   #41
Datguy781

Only brand of ammo I have had problems with is Tula I had 5 duds out of about a hundred that is. IMO thats bad odds; it was cheap though.

Tags
9mm ammo , ammo , ammunition , bulk ammo