The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Little-Lonestar

Walther PPK

Hello! This is my first forum post here, and I tried doing a little searching before posting, but didn't find much. I want to talk about the Walther PPK, .32. It was a gift to me, and I love its small size (not to mention its history!). However, when I took it to the range, it had 2 misfires. The RO said that it was probably because I had let my wrist go soft, and I made it a point to focus on my grip after that and had no problems. Has anyone else experienced this? What do you love about the PPK? What do you not-so-love?
Old September 25, 2011, 11:14 AM   #2
PSP

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
What do you love about the PPK? What do you not-so-love?
I like the size, trigger, thin profile, relatively easy take-down and overall reliability. A great design ahead of it's time.

What I don't like are the sights, slide bite and weight.

Quote:
...but didn't find much.
?? There are probably two bazillion posts on the PPK.
Old September 25, 2011, 11:18 AM   #3
graysmoke

The PPK .380acp is a fine pistol. But I prefer the CZ-83 in .380acp
Just because I like the slightly larger and more conture grip on the CZ. Fits my hand better.
And for me, the CZ-83 is more accurate than the PPK.
Old September 25, 2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Bond007

I love my PPK. It's not the best option compared to several modern pistols but it remains useful, accurate, reliable and has a cool factor that's difficult to match. So enjoy.

I have noticed failures to feed when people are limp wristing. But a good grip will alleviate any concerns.
Old September 25, 2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

What you experienced is something called limp wristing. Some people believe it's myth others thee opposite. Either way, a good firm grip and locked wrist makes recoil more manageable and brings the back to the point of aim quicker and more accurately. Whether or not limp wristing caused your pistol to fail is something I can't answer. Sometimes the PPK can be finicky so if you have continued issues, keep track of the ammo type and how they perform.

As for the PPK's themselves, I've always found them to be very cool little guns. I've never owned one but have shot an old .380 and loved it. Since you say it was passed down to you and it's a .32, I'm assuming it's an older model. You should call S&W (they bought walther a few years back) and see if they will service it, provided your still having problems. I imagine that they would but you may have to pick up the shipping.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Sulaco2

Shadi if its an older model it probably a Walther not a SW/Walther even a German made. Should check that out some of the older PPKs can be very valuable.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Shadi Khalil

I understand that but it's still a Walther. I wouldn't be surprised if S&W was willing to offer some sort of support.
Old September 25, 2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Little-Lonestar

Thanks for all the responses! I forgot to specify, it IS an older model, a Manurhin.

@Shadi Khalil Yeah, I believe it was me limpwristing. The person who gave me the gun never mentioned any problems with it (and would certainly tell me), and since I am a new shooter, I sometimes forget little things like my grip. It also only happened with hollow points, but I will continue to shoot it and keep track of it if it happens again.
Old September 26, 2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
You should call S&W (they bought walther a few years back) and see if they will service it, provided your still having problems.
S&W does not own Walther. Walther's parent company is Umarex (a German company). S&W is the importer of Walthers in the US, and manufactures new PPKs under lisense in the US. They also handle warranty work in the US for new Walthers (both German and US-made)

S&W's customer service is excellent (known to provide free warranty work for Walthers well outside of the typical one-year warranty), but I'm not sure what they would do for an older Manhurin-manufactured gun.
Old September 26, 2011, 09:48 AM   #10
carguychris

What kind of ammo were you using?

Two reasons for the question: first, American-branded ammo in .32ACP is loaded on the soft side of the specifications and sometimes won't cycle older automatics that are tuned for hotter loads. Try European ammo; I recommend Fiocchi.

Second, if you were using hollow-points, be aware that many older .32 automatics such as this one weren't originally designed to feed HP ammo and often won't do it reliably. FWIW the effectiveness of HP's in .32ACP is broadly disputed anyway, so you may want to stick with FMJ ball.
Quote:
S&W's customer service is excellent (known to provide free warranty work for Walthers well outside of the typical one-year warranty), but I'm not sure what they would do for an older Manhurin-manufactured gun.
My understanding is that they absolutely will not work on PP-series pistols other than new ones manufactured at their Houlton, ME facility, but YMMV.
Old September 26, 2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Little-Lonestar

Just to clarify, I'm not looking to get any work done on it- I'm 100% sure it doesn't need it. However, I appreciate the info in case something does happen in the future!

@Carguychris I was using both hollow points and fmj, since I had a few boxes of random brands to try out. The failure to feeds happened with the hollow points only, so that makes since if what you are saying is correct- as well as my limp wristing.

Tags
.32 , ppk , walther