The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 25, 2013, 06:06 PM   #1
osbornk

Va no longer on the list.

Until Virginia Governor-elect Terry McAuliffe (D) was elected on November 5, Beretta USA had the Old Dominion on a short list of states in which it could build a new factory. Until McAuliffe was elected VA was "one of six finalist locations" being considered by Beretta executives.

Per Washington Times
Old December 25, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
raimius

Well, that's not a very comprehensive view, unless that was just the last straw. The legislature tends to do more than the Governor.
Old December 25, 2013, 09:37 PM   #3
mehavey

Not much doubt:

“The anti-gun ads that McAuliffe ran in northern Virginia were
particularly offensive,” Jeff Reh, general counsel of Beretta,
told me in an interview. “And the fact that he could gain a
voting advantage by doing so caused us additional concern.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2oXpTcSZP

Vote in dogs, don't be surprised if game animals leave.
Old December 25, 2013, 09:41 PM   #4
krucam

Link to the Emily Miller story:
http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/20...means-beretta/
Old December 26, 2013, 08:16 AM   #5
TimSr

Quote:
Well, that's not a very comprehensive view, unless that was just the last straw. The legislature tends to do more than the Governor.

I think they are looking at the long term trending of Va. getting more and more populated with DC leftovers, and how gun friendly a state will continue to be several years from now.
Old December 26, 2013, 09:41 AM   #6
osbornk

Quote:
I think they are looking at the long term trending of Va. getting more and more populated with DC leftovers, and how gun friendly a state will continue to be several years from now.
I live in the western end of Virginia and have been watching the changes in Virginia for years. We elected a democrat for governor because the Republican party is run by a very right wing faction. They even changed to nominating procedure so they could choose the worse possible candidate to run for governor. The map of how the state voted tells the story of Virginia. The state is red with little spots of blue. However, the little spots of blue is where the majority of the population is. The blue is where the government workers live, where a lot of minorities live, where the larger universities are and where most of the people live that are not native to the USA. If the election had been one week later, we would have a republican governor even though he was a poor choice. Fortunately, the legislature is solidly republican.
Old December 26, 2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Let's steer clear of red vs. blue politics. McAuliffe's position on guns was known before he was elected.

The question is: will this make him think twice about his policies? I'd like to think so, but Colorado Governor Hickenloper barely blinked when Magpul left the state, taking over $100 million of the economy with them.
Old December 26, 2013, 10:24 AM   #8
CowTowner

Quote:
taking over $100 million of the economy with them.
True. But we should remember that Colorado will be collecting taxes on recreational marijuana sales starting January 1st. I have read that the licensed (fee paying) sellers expect to run out of product within 2 months.
No, it may not replace the entire loss. But it helps ease the pain. (pun intended)
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9
osbornk

Quote:
Let's steer clear of red vs. blue politics. McAuliffe's position on guns was known before he was elected.

The question is: will this make him think twice about his policies?
McAuliffe was elected despite his position on guns because his opponent was such a poor extremist candidate. He made his position on guns known in the liberal suburban parts of the state but he never mentioned it in the rural and traditional parts of the state where native Virginians the majority of the population. There are three distinct Virginias. Those of us in the western end are independent hard headed country folks who came to the mountains to get away from the big city politics and government control. We have Northern Virginia that is like a typical northern state with a big influence of DC and Maryland (that's where all of the news and information comes from). Then you have central and eastern Virginia that are more like the traditional Virginia with some liberal strongholds (Tidewater-[which is Norfolk, Va Beach, Hampton, Chesapeake], Richmond and Charlottesville)
Old December 26, 2013, 06:19 PM   #10
357 Python

osbornk, I agree with you. Charlottesville has gotten increasingly more stupid. One of the City Council members lives two door behind my house and was on the Council when they voted in favor for a rainfall tax. They call it a fee but it is a tax none the less. Those of us who actually pay taxes in the city wonder when they will put in a breath fee (taxing us for the air we breathe).
Old December 26, 2013, 06:43 PM   #11
magnum777

I hope and pray Virginia does not go the way of Colorado. That was on the short list of states I wanted to move to one day, but now I'm not so sure.
Old December 27, 2013, 03:39 PM   #12
osbornk

Quote:
I hope and pray Virginia does not go the way of Colorado. That was on the short list of states I wanted to move to one day, but now I'm not so sure.
I don't think that is going to happen at all. The only reason we have McAuliffe as a governor elect is because the radical right wing of the Republican party hijacked the party and changed the nominating rules so they could get their extreme candidate nominated. If they had not changed the nominating rules and had a primary, the other potential candidate would have won and taken the governorship in a walk. The national Republican party was also part of the cause of the loss. The shutdown impacted a large number of government workers and military who live in Virginia.
Old December 27, 2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Cirdan

Did Magpul actually leave Colorado?
Old December 27, 2013, 05:01 PM   #14
bob.a

Beretta has had a bad time of it from the MD General Assembly, as have all us Marylanders. They would like to expand into a firearm-friendly state.

VA would be logical for them, but the possibility of having to go through the same sort of nonsense that Maryland has shoveled onto their plate is causing them to keep looking.

Now that MD is pretty well lost to the progressives, they're moving to Northern VA to escape the high taxes that their policies have inflicted on MD. The fear is that they will bring the same agenda to VA.

I'd like to leave MD for VA, and it'd probably not turn into what I am trying to escape, in what's left of my lifetime. But I certainly hope we get a swing toward the center in this country pretty soon.
Old December 27, 2013, 05:14 PM   #15
BarryLee

Yes, it looks like South Carolina is making a push Governor Nikki Haley is bragging about her Christmas gift a new Berretta PX4.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...hristmas-tree/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 27, 2013, 06:25 PM   #16
40-82

Aside from our latest Governor, Virginia has gone for Obama in the last two elections, and we have two U.S. Senators who would love to say to Diana Feinstein, "Count me among your fifty-one," but they haven't quite dared yet because they value their jobs more than their principles which are unfortunately very much against individual liberties.

In my part of Virginia, Southwest Virginia, a recent Democratic candidate for the House of Delegates proclaimed that he had a concealed weapons license, and he dressed his children up in camouflage for one of his political ads, but he still lost by a 2 to 1 margin because he supported Obama.

By area Virginia is dramatically pro-Second Amendment, but the urban populations increase at a greater rate than the rural populations. It's the same story nationally. If we can't convince the people who live in urban areas that the concepts of individual rights have a place in an urban environment, then its a matter of time before our cause is finished
Old December 27, 2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
The question is: will this make him think twice about his policies? I'd like to think so, but Colorado Governor Hickenloper barely blinked when Magpul left the state, taking over $100 million of the economy with them.
And he looks to be re-elected according to the polls which is a shame.

Twenty years ago the thought of Virginia becoming Anti-A2 state was laughable. Not so funny now!

Quote:
Makes since. Where people grow up plays a big part in how they view things which is why more Cities are anti-gun and most everywhere else pro-gun (for the most part). When City Folk move to the suburbs or country, they generally take their view with them. But I wonder if time among different people with different views might eventually sway their viewpoint. Food for thought.

Quote:
I don't think that is going to happen at all. The only reason we have McAuliffe as a governor elect is because the radical right wing of the Republican party hijacked the party and changed the nominating rules so they could get their extreme candidate nominated. If they had not changed the nominating rules and had a primary, the other potential candidate would have won and taken the governorship in a walk. The national Republican party was also part of the cause of the loss. The shutdown impacted a large number of government workers and military who live in Virginia.
Just as many people may not share your view. Just a word of caution on political posting, steer clear!
Old December 28, 2013, 02:14 AM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew
But I wonder if time among different people with different views might eventually sway their viewpoint. Food for thought.
It's anecdotal at best, but there was a thread on the PAFOA (Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association) forum a few months ago that addressed this exact scenario. Seems a family from somewhere in New York state (not NYC) bought a house in Pennsylvania (not Philadelphia, but I don't remember where) and were then SHOCKED to see neighbors walking around with (GASP!) guns on their hips. (Except for Philadelphia, PA is an unlicensed open carry state.) The newcomers raised quite a stink, telling everyone they had moved to Pennsylvania to get away from (GASP!) guns. (Clearly did NOT do their due diligence in choosing where to relocate.) They got the neighborhood all riled up, and within less than a year sold the house and removed themselves from the uncivilized wilds of suburban Pennsylvania.

You can take the kid out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the kid.