The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 14, 2014, 07:23 PM   #1
LAH

CZ75 learning the platform

Took her out today. I really like the way this thing shoots but has its problems for me. The reach for the trigger is a bit long even carrying on safety notch. I can't work the safety without moving my grip, same for the magazine release. It does carry well though in a belt slide & shoots lights out.

Carry mode

Fired about 90 rounds today mostly from the holster doing first shot DA, second shot SA, learning to make the transition

Did the drill at 20 yards. No problem hitting with the DA first shot but I'm still not dead on with the second shot, usually a few inches low. Please don't think I can do this on a regular bases but did manage two dead center DA hits.
Old October 14, 2014, 07:27 PM   #2
verdun59

You will get better, it a great gun enjoy it.
Old October 14, 2014, 07:35 PM   #3
skizzums

I flipped my mag release to the other side because I had to change my entire grip to hit it. now it is easily hit with my right index finger. I don't have a problem with the safety or the trigger reach, but nothing wrong with full-cock and safety on if you need to. if you want to try changing the release to see if you like it, just flip it upside down when re-installing.
Old October 14, 2014, 07:37 PM   #4
LAH

Switched the mag release on my MP. Works great.
Old October 14, 2014, 08:40 PM   #5
NATIONALIST

CZ75 one of the best 9mm handguns in the world !!! I liked mine so much I bought the CZ75 compact ... its every bit as accurate as its big brother ....
Old October 14, 2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

If you've got the full-size 75B, the mag release can't be switched. That is possible with the newer alloy-framed compacts and the stainless models. (If it's got an extended beavertail it likely has the reversible mag release.)

Cajun Gun Works http://www.cajungunworks.com/miscellaneous_items.html has a trigger kit that will reduce the length of the double-action pull. Starting from the half-cock notch helps a little, too -- but if you're starting from cocked & locked and still having problems, only the trigger kit will help. The photo looks like it's cocked and locked, but you mention the DA/SA transition issue. Try starting from the half-cock notch. That shortens the pull a bit, and it's safe. (Firing pin Block, etc.)

The SAO models (and some from the CZ Custom Shop) have safety levers that are larger and easier to disengage, but those are all ambidextrous safeties; I don't think you can install just one.
Old October 14, 2014, 09:51 PM   #7
TunnelRat

A cheap option in the short term is some thinner grips, made a big difference for me in trigger reach.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 14, 2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Knightsofnee

Looks like a pre-B, I wouldn't mess with it much, just keep shooting until you adapt to it.
Old October 15, 2014, 12:02 AM   #9
Hunter0924

I have a CZ75B Omega and it is one of my favorite handguns and by far my favorite 9mm
Old October 15, 2014, 06:17 AM   #10
ritepath

First thing I did with my CZ p-09 was move the mag release to the right side.

Now to get a "real" CZ in my collection.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:12 AM   #11
LAH

Quote:
Looks like a pre-B, I wouldn't mess with it much, just keep shooting until you adapt to it.
It is in fact a Pre-B.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:29 AM   #12
sirgilligan

Thanks for sharing, especially the photos, it gives me instant context.

I bought my CZ 85B from a guy that had small hands and after 50 rounds he decided that it just didn't fit. This guy had really small hands, I think my hands where that small when I was about 9 years old. There was nothing he could do to make it fit.

Keep us informed of how things progress and if you change the grips, etc.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:44 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Pre-B or not, you can't "adapt" to a gun that doesn't fit your hand, i.e., if the trigger reach is longer than your fingers. (Several of my shooting buddies, over the years, have loved CZs but couldn't adapt to the long DA trigger pull -- and didn't want cocked & locked carry.) Someone noticed the spur hammer in the photo; I missed that that when I looked!! Good catch. That's why the OP said "CZ-75" and not 75B!

The OP should check with Cajun Gun works to find out if the CGW's short trigger kit can be used with a pre-B.

If he's starting from cocked and locked, it's still too long, then the OP has a problem. Thinner grips, as mentioned above, are a GOOD option, and relatively inexpensive. He can always sell them if they aren't effective. The grips in the photo aren't the classic pre-B grips, so they have no special value. (I've had maybe 6 pre-Bs over the years. A very old pre-B was my third CZ -- with an ratty, chipped enamel finish but a wonderful trigger.)

The OP also mentioned some difference between the first and second shot... If he was starting from cocked and locked, they should be the same. If starting from hammer down or the half-cock notch, there COULD be a disconcerting difference -- but that's true of most DA/SA guns (like SIGS), but many of them have a shorter trigger reach. (My first pre-B was as early (not not "short rail" CZ); it did NOT have a half-cock notch, which came with ater pre-Bs.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; October 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old October 15, 2014, 09:59 AM   #14
Blacktimberwolf

I love my CZ75 for the many conversion kit's, you can mix them to get the perfekt gun for low money.
Old October 15, 2014, 10:37 AM   #15
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktimberwolf
I love my CZ75 for the many conversion kit's, you can mix them to get the perfekt gun for low money.
By "conversion kits" do you mean the .22 Kadet Kits/top ends?

If so, those kits don't fit all of the pre-B CZ-75s... some of which have a much-wider hammer than the later B-series (and late pre-B 75s). I've had pre-Bs upon which the current Kadet Kit simply won't work.

The Kadet Kits have been rarer than Hen's Teeth for the last couple of years, and almost as expensive as a new Ruger .22 -- and while there are Pre-B Kadet Kits to be found, they're even more rare, and highly priced.

If you mean something ELSE by "many conversion kits", please explain.
Old October 15, 2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Knightsofnee

It's still a pre-B, they're not making those anymore. And it looks to be in nice shape. It's a nice find and a bit of history. There are plenty of 75B's out there to mod till your hearts content.
Old October 15, 2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsofnee
It's still a pre-B, they're not making those anymore. And it looks to be in nice shape. It's a nice find and a bit of history. There are plenty of 75B's out there to mod till your hearts content.
I disagree. It's NOT a religious icon. It's a tool -- intended to do what you want it to do. It's probably a late ore-B, at that. (You can generally find the date in a little oval in the corner of the ejection port.)

If it were mine, I found the trigger awkward, and I could make it shoot better with modest changes, I'd do it. Nothing mentioned so far can't be undone. A pre-B is unlikely to have any significant "collector" value in our lifetime.

[A much-older "short-rail" model, might appreciate more rapidly, but that gun wouldn't be one the shooter -- if he knew what he had -- would be shooting a lot. (That would be like letting your kids use a Mantle-signed baseball for their afternoon games of catch...) I wouldn't mess with one of those truly "collectible" models.

The BEAUTY of the (pre-B) 75 is their great triggers;many also like the older "OVAL" trigger guards and spur hammers. The older (waffle-like) grips are NOT a thing of beauty. Several years back CZ did a short-run of "RETRO" 75Bs that looked just like the pre-Bs, but were "B" models internally -- that may have been the best of both worlds: good looks, great warranty.

Any of the B models can be tuned to run as nicely as the pre-Bs, and the 85 Combat comes from the factory without the firing pin block which, practically speaking, makes it a "pre-B", too.

More importantly, some of the pre-B parts are getting a bit rare. (The internal springs in the oldest 75 safeties [you can see a pinhole on the top] are unavailable in the U.S. -- you have to be really careful when disassembling those old spring-loaded safeties. I don't think newer safeties can be made to work... Some other parts changed a little over time, but newer ones generally can be made to work. That WIDE hammer I mentioned in an earlier response is another example of a difference.

I don't do pre-Bs any more, because of these subtle changes, although I'd never turn one down if offered at a good price -- as the NEED to repair something is not something that happens a lot.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; October 15, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old October 15, 2014, 05:57 PM   #18
Luke1981

I got a tanfoglio tz-75 at a steal the other day. One of those deals that if you didn't you should have your head checked. It's the government 88 model. How close is this clone to the real cz's?
Old October 15, 2014, 06:42 PM   #19
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1981
I got a tanfoglio tz-75 at a steal the other day. One of those deals that if you didn't you should have your head checked. It's the government 88 model. How close is this clone to the real cz's?
I've not had a series 88 TZ75, but have picked up some information from talking with folks who have had both the 88/TZ75 and a CZ75... EAA may have a small stock of some parts for these early Tanfoglio Pistols. (EAA named their version the Witness; Tanfoglio builds the Witness line of guns for EAA.)

Except for the slide-mounted safety, the 88-TZ75 is very much like all of the later Tanfoglio guns: same basic design as the CZ, but about the only thing that is interchangeable with CZs is magazines and recoil springs. Sights will certainly be different, as will the location of the slide release -- which might be BETTER on the Tangoglio. Slides won't interchange, for example.

The longer Tanfoglio kept making their CZ-pattern guns, the greater the differences became -- mostly, it appears, to simplify production. Most of the changes seem like smart changes. The Tanfoglio firing pin block design, for example, seems better than the CZ design; I don't know if your gun has that feature.

The guns looks and feel like CZs and in most cases will have the same great service life. Nice guns.
Old October 15, 2014, 06:54 PM   #20
Luke1981

Its not the first pistol I've had based on the cz75, my first was a Jericho 941R. Absolutly loved that gun. Traded it off and regretted it ever since. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413417235.642684.jpg here is the TZ.
Old October 15, 2014, 06:57 PM   #21
RickB

Why struggle with the trigger reach and DA/SA transition, when the gun can be carried and shot in SA mode all the time?
Old October 15, 2014, 07:04 PM   #22
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
...here is the TZ.
That one has a frame-mounted safety and I thought the 88's had a frame mounted safety -- but apparently not. Found this very good article on the web.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/tz-75.htm

Nice gun.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:14 PM   #23
Luke1981

Thanks.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:58 PM   #24
LAH

Quote:
If he's starting from cocked and locked, it's still too long, then the OP has a problem.
Not starting from cocked & locked. Can't work the safety with proper shooting hold.

Quote:
The OP also mentioned some difference between the first and second shot... If he was starting from cocked and locked, they should be the same. If starting from hammer down or the half-cock notch, there COULD be a disconcerting difference
Hitting with the double action 1st shot is pretty easy. It’s the 2nd shot I’m having a problem with. The transition from DA to SA is something to be learned with practice. As stated in the OP I’m hitting a few inches low with the second shot at 20 yards. Might be rushing the second shot a little.

Quote:
Why struggle with the trigger reach and DA/SA transition, when the gun can be carried and shot in SA mode all the time?
Rick if the safety was 20-25% wider I could do this. The single action trigger reach is perfect for me.
Old October 15, 2014, 08:56 PM   #25
Walt Sherrill

Will this be a "carry" weapon? If not, starting from a cocked hammer is a non-issue. If its a home defense gun or a range gun, you just cock the hammer and go! Then there's no DA/SA transition. If it's a carry gun, you can start from half-cock, and the transition is easier. You still have to practice.

Since its a pre-B, I don't know of any after-market safety levers. If you can find a safety lever to match the one on the gun (from Numrich, or maybe even CZ-USA), a local gunsmith MIGHT have the know-how and the ability to weld or silver-solder an extension onto that extra safety lever in a way that's both functional and doesn't look bad.