The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 12, 2014, 03:46 PM   #26
Mystro

When I can find nice pre owned G17 for under $400, its hard not to recomend them to someone on a tight budget. I am not even anGlock fan but that's ALOT of gun for $400.00 out the door price. That's why I carry one in my ATV's and boat and never worry about what happens to them. FYI, I recomend the Shield the most in my CCW class but for a high capacity night stand/house gun for $400 the G17 or G23 is easy money.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; October 12, 2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old October 12, 2014, 03:50 PM   #27
LC9

Rob96 I understand where you're coming from....of all my guns I really like my BERETTA 92A1.

But Mystro....I can see how the GLOCK would be a great carry gun!
Old October 12, 2014, 04:54 PM   #28
Fishbed77

Quote:
WHY GLOCK????
Because cheap police trade-ins are readily available.
Old October 12, 2014, 05:04 PM   #29
Mastrogiacomo

Because you can find mags nearly everywhere without breaking the bank to pay for them. Can't say that for my Sig, which is why I only have one, in addition to three Glocks.....Glocks are also lightweight, functional and I'm accurate with them. It's a win win situation....

Laura
Old October 12, 2014, 06:54 PM   #30
noonesshowmonkey

Glock does just about everything right that can be done right with a handgun.

They are nearly indestructible.
They have high capacity.
They have a slim profile.
They are light weight.
They are accurate (enough).
They have almost zero snags.
They have a smooth, reliable trigger pull.
They have a simple manual of arms (no extra levers or buttons besides the trigger, magazine release, and take down).
They go bang whenever you pull the trigger.
They are incredibly well supported by the industry (holsters, etc.).
They have inexpensive, interchangeable parts.
They have common, inexpensive magazines that can be shared across models in the same caliber.
They have an extremely low cost of entry (relative to most competitors).

In short, they do just about everything that any other handgun does, often better, and for less.

As someone else was asking, the question in a way is, "why NOT?"
Old October 12, 2014, 07:14 PM   #31
JWT

They're popular because there is a cult like following for them.

Bought a new one a few years ago, it was gone in less than a year.
Old October 12, 2014, 07:17 PM   #32
TunnelRat

Quote:
They are accurate (enough).
I have to say, Glocks are one of the few pistols where I see this brought up almost without fail on this forum. Not just this one post or thread, but repeatedly over time. The idea that Glocks aren't overly accurate, but they'll do. Frankly I think they're just as accurate as any other modern service semiauto. I would say I find I shoot M&Ps, XDs, PPQ, etc. a little better, but honestly for me it's that I just like the triggers on those other options more and those other pistols fit my hands better and those factors allow me to as the user to perform better.

Has anyone ever locked a Glock in a ransom rest and compared its accuracy to the competition? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to start with as much inherent accuracy as possible before I start adding my own operator error into the equation. Until someone shows me that Glocks are lacking in mechanical accuracy, I am going to believe they're on par with most options.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 12, 2014, 07:59 PM   #33
skizzums

not sure how to put this into practical terms, but a glock's chamber is .010 oversize for the case in 9mm. a Wilson combat barrel guarantees half inch at 25yards, their barrel are .005 oversize and have a .001 tighter bore. as this will likely only increase accuracy from a ransom rest, it would still make you at least that thousandth of a imch more accurate if shooting the exact same way. so, other manufacturers may have tighter tolerances than a glock, and I think we can most agree that the most important thing is the fit to the firearm, which we know glock doesn't seem to take as too much importance. so when people say, glock's are "accurate enough", I think that actually has some merit. they know they are not building 25yard tack drivers, and model the pistol to be more reliable than unrealistically accurate. I have a match barrel on an AR that wont eject the cases fter a hundred rounds or so if I don't scrub it, I would rather give up .25 at 25yards than have a defensive pistol that is too tight to shoot dirty.

I would love to see some professional ransom tests done to a 9mm glock vs a 9mm cz vs bhp and really see if any of this is true. but I think it is. I also don't think 99% of shooters(including myself) are good enough with a pistol to know the difference between one shooting 1" off a ransom or 1.5"

heres a good link to Wilson vs a golck. it shows just how accurate a glock can be when someone knows what they are doing. watch the first video, only a minute.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...0-sf-accuracy/

Last edited by skizzums; October 12, 2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old October 12, 2014, 08:37 PM   #34
ritepath

Same reason Iphones are popular...

Glad I never fell into the perfection trap, I did own a g20 for a while, and it's the only one I'd be interested in owning again.

As for me and my family we'll stick to CZ, S&W, Sig, and Ruger.
Old October 12, 2014, 08:56 PM   #35
Sevens

Quote:
WHY is the GLOCK so damn popular???
Without offending anyone it's not an attractive pistol, doesn't "feel" as good as some lower cost weapons, and I'm not crazy about the safety on the trigger thingy.........but I may need to add one to my collection!
WHY do you like your GLOCK?
There's a lot to reply to here!

Why so popular?
IMO, it's a huge combination of many things. And I haven't even read that book recently penned on the subject, but I intend to do that. I say it's popular because they were the first to REALLY wow the market with a polymer framed handgun and when they did blast on to the scene, the darn guns worked and fed and ran and ran and ran and RAN! And that got them stamped early on with "GOOD!" labels, so people flocked to them and law enforcement flocked to them and when LE flocked to them, even -MORE- people flocked to them. Glock also has some interesting pricing schemes that helps sell guns in many ways.

Why do I like my Glock?
That's funny. I really like my Glock. In fact, as guns go, I really love my Glock. But I don't like Glock and my ultimate hope & goal with the perfect ending is that I never EVER buy another beyond this one! Mine runs great for me, carries well and I happen to shoot it very well, so I like it a whole lot. But nothing about it makes me want to chase down other Glock pistols... like ever, at all. YUCK.

So you'd likely ask...
Why did I choose my Glock?
Well, I grew up reading Jeff Cooper. And no, Jeff Cooper would never choose a Glock. But he did have me thoroughly entranced with the 10mm Auto cartridge from a young age and the idea of carrying my S&W 1006 concealed did not appeal to me at all. So I picked the only viable option I could possibly imagine, the Glock 29. And I've said it before, if S&W had made an M&P-10mm or a Springer XD-10mm existed, I'd almost certainly have went either of those directions instead.

What's next?
When I elect to retire my G29 from carry duty, I will move to a tupperware 9mm. I don't have immediate plans so I haven't outlined any goals. But if my G29 got run over by a train tomorrow, I'd probably snag an M&P Compact 9mm while I tried to figure out exactly what I put in that role.

You?
If you're asking me, my answer is pretty simple and firm. If you want a polymer 10mm handgun, you should be looking at a Glock. If you don't seek a polymer 10mm handgun and you've never tried a Glock, meh, skip it.
Old October 12, 2014, 09:06 PM   #36
Knightsofnee

It is my understanding that Glocks are hugely popular among inner city male youths owing to their ease of use while chemically impaired.
Old October 12, 2014, 09:16 PM   #37
Snyper

Quote:
if you're in a struggle, for instance, like ZIMMERMAN was with TRAVON MARTIN trying to grab ZIMMERMAN's gun, there's a real possibility that light SA trigger can be pulled during the struggle.
I don't see how that's a problem.
If someone tries to grab my gun, I want to be able to fire it without fumbling around trying to manipulate a safety

If they do get control, having a safety won't change things for more than a heartbeat or two
Old October 12, 2014, 09:22 PM   #38
WildBill45

Quote:
WHY do you like your GLOCK?
The question is not WHY I like my Glock, it is Why you do not!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old October 12, 2014, 09:23 PM   #39
TunnelRat

Quote:
but a glock's chamber is .010 oversize for the case in 9mm. a Wilson combat barrel guarantees half inch at 25yards, their barrel are .005 oversize and have a .001 tighter bore.
But these are very different firearms IMO. You're talking about $500 vs what, $3000? You're also talking about a SAO hammer fired metal framed firearm vs a striker fired safe-action pistol with a polymer frame. They also have a different locking system. To me it's like saying a Toyota Yaris isn't as fast as BMW M3. It sort of goes without saying. My questions is, what about a Glock vs. other striker fired pistols, like the M&P, XD, PPQ, etc? I don't see the same qualifier attributed to them, though to be fair there are a lot more Glock owners. What about a Glock vs. say a SIG? I'd be interested.
Old October 12, 2014, 09:32 PM   #40
zach_

I think that Glock has won the confidence of the people by providing a good product at a fair price that is used by military and law enforcement all over the world. Hard to compete against that. My 19 works like a champ.
Old October 12, 2014, 09:33 PM   #41
skizzums

i didn't say they weren't very different firearms. one is nearly $4000!!! I am just saying that their is a different mindset when making a gun for ultimate accuracy, and building a gun to run reliably under stress.

I was simply saying that I agree when people use the motto "accurate enough" for a glock, because that's exactly what it was built for. and because it's "accurate enough" instead of "match accurate" it runs like a train. and I also don't think most people will be able to notice if the glock did have a match barrel, they would still say "accurate enough" because they can't shoot a glock "as-is" as accurate as it is made. man....I sure said "accurate" alot
Old October 12, 2014, 10:04 PM   #42
zach_

I wonder where all of these people shoot these groups at 25 yards. I go to shoot at a pistol range about once a week on average. I would say that there are an average of 15 other people shooting while I am there. The range will support 44. In the last 2 years, I have seen 1 shooter capable of staying on paper for an entire magazine consistently at 25 yards. That shooter was NOT me. This dude shoots a 1911 of some kind, off hand, not from a rest. Do the rest of us handgun shooters of this area suck? Would it be unreasonable to expect that kind of performance from a Glock 21 or 41 from a shooter with the same skill level?
Old October 12, 2014, 10:05 PM   #43
therealtwitch

Cause they're very reliable and every gun shop in the world carries replacment parts if something does break
Old October 12, 2014, 10:20 PM   #44
noonesshowmonkey

The accurate (enough) just means that the handgun hits where you point it at. It might not take the wings off a gnat at 100 yards--then again, it might just--but that isn't the point. Glocks excel at being tools. They do what the tool handgun is supposed to do, and they do it well. If you expect pinpoint accuracy, put an optic on something with a longer barrel that is fired with two hands. For what handguns are used for, accurate (enough) is pretty much all you need them to be.

And, to be fair, accuracy of just about any production firearm these days far exceeds that of most shooters. A friend of mine is always going on and on about how light his bike his, and then slyly adds that if he wanted to drop more than a few ounces off of the ride, he grips his love handles and says that he should start 'here', shaking said handles. Point is that the weakest link isn't the gear, it is the user. Any of the major manufacturer's offerings are plenty accurate--read more accurate than most humans--and to improve groupings takes time, ammo, and training, not necessarily a barrel with tolerances tight enough to ride the space shuttle.
Old October 12, 2014, 10:26 PM   #45
guruatbol

In response to the OP. I don't think mine are ugly. They fit my hand and I like the balance.

I have fired dozens of other handguns including SIG's and 1911s. I own a 1911. I prefer all my Glocks.

So for me it isn't ugly and is just a great weapon! Dependable as all get out. Thousands of rounds and not one jam. My 1911 has jammed a number of times.

My KHAR is another of my favorites and it has jammed as well. I still like all my semiautomatic handguns, but my Glocks are my go to guns.

Mel
Old October 12, 2014, 10:26 PM   #46
skizzums

I shoot 25yard for at least a few minutes when I go to the range. I can keep them on the paper, not always n the ring though. I do much better with a revolver in s/a then I do with my semi. no measureable groups though. I would say a least 16" groups, I am no professional marksmen with a pistol. I do it just so I know I can if ever needed, I can't see why it would ever be needed, but....
Old October 12, 2014, 10:59 PM   #47
DUB

Why Glock?

"...I cannot for the life of me see what's ugly about a glock... glocks are proportional and sleek.... and have a kind of beauty through simplicity about them."

Yes to this.Their form follows their function.That's beautiful! Also,reliable,easy
to maintain, and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited by DUB; October 12, 2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: add
Old October 12, 2014, 11:14 PM   #48
BIG P

Get one shoot it a while then youll see.
Old October 12, 2014, 11:27 PM   #49
Dan-O

Because a drunk monkey with an internet connection, a flat heat screwdriver, and a 3/16 punch can basically do what any "certified glock armorer" can do. No reason whatsoever to send them back to Smyrna.
Old October 12, 2014, 11:29 PM   #50
TunnelRat

Quote:
I wonder where all of these people shoot these groups at 25 yards. I go to shoot at a pistol range about once a week on average. I would say that there are an average of 15 other people shooting while I am there. The range will support 44. In the last 2 years, I have seen 1 shooter capable of staying on paper for an entire magazine consistently at 25 yards. That shooter was NOT me. This dude shoots a 1911 of some kind, off hand, not from a rest. Do the rest of us handgun shooters of this area suck? Would it be unreasonable to expect that kind of performance from a Glock 21 or 41 from a shooter with the same skill level?
Depends on how big the paper is. I'd say I can hold 8" at 25 yds offhand if I go medium paced, and I don't consider myself very good. Probably the best I have ever done is 4-5" or so offhand at 25 yds (shooting 9mm). My astigmatism plus pistols with pretty thick front sights means I am pretty happy with that, but I have seen some really impressive folks that can blow be out of the water.

Quote:
Glocks excel at being tools. They do what the tool handgun is supposed to do, and they do it well.
You us the term "tools" a lot. Do you not consider other firearms tools? Isn't the user of the firearm who determines how the firearm is used? Even a match pistol is still a tool, albeit a tool with a different purpose.

Quote:
And, to be fair, accuracy of just about any production firearm these days far exceeds that of most shooters. A friend of mine is always going on and on about how light his bike his, and then slyly adds that if he wanted to drop more than a few ounces off of the ride, he grips his love handles and says that he should start 'here', shaking said handles. Point is that the weakest link isn't the gear, it is the user. Any of the major manufacturer's offerings are plenty accurate--read more accurate than most humans--and to improve groupings takes time, ammo, and training, not necessarily a barrel with tolerances tight enough to ride the space shuttle.
I agree with you that most production pistols are more accurate than most shooters. I just find "accurate enough" to be an odd way to describe a firearm.
Closed Thread