The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 24, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Z400ACDC

How does your Ruger american .223 shoot?

I bought one today. It shoots ok but has issues loading the last round.
Old June 25, 2014, 06:14 AM   #2
jmr40

Mine shoots great. Best groups at 200 yards around 1.5". The issue with the last round feeding from the magazine is common. I contacted Ruger and returned the factory mag. It was promptly replaced with one that worked. Seems like everyone who has bought a 223 and posted about it had to do the same.

Also bought one in 308. No issues with it and about the same accuracy.
Old June 25, 2014, 06:31 AM   #3
taylorce1

Here is the answer to your problem.

Ruger American .223 Mag Mod

[quote=shor965646/what/showflat/fpart/3/q/1"]Ruger American .223 Mag[/URL]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs
Hi Steelhead. Hope I don't offend with this digression.

Started with occasional misfeed with 65gr to 75gr bullets, but I thought it was a break in issue and intend to use 55gr loads anyway. On another thread I went on and on about how much I like this rifle.

I now have over 300 rounds through it and it has gotten worse. Happens usually with the first round, almost always with the last round, and, for some reason, almost never with the 2d, 3d and 4th round.

Working the bolt with some vigor helps but is not a complete fix. It happens with all loads now, even 55gr FMJ. The bolt rides up over the case, sometimes after it starts to push the round out, sometimes before it even moves the round at all.

Partly its the magazine as it can get jammed just trying to load rounds into the magazine. But it may be more than the mag. It happens even when I place a round into the ejection port, resting on the magazine lips. Seems to catch up on the throat.

I ordered a spare magazine from the online Ruger store and I hope that helps when it comes in. After 30 years of owning many different Rugers this is my first problem of any kind.

I like the rifle so much I will keep it even if I can't sort this out and just treat it as a single shot that might work like a repeater now and then. So much for using is as my dangerous game stopper.
Easy fix. Your mag lips are too tight. Open the forward portion of the mag up a little with a Dremel or file.

When this happens...

Too tight...

Just right....

Last edited by taylorce1; June 25, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old June 25, 2014, 06:54 AM   #4
Z400ACDC

That fix sounds about right. If I hold up on the mag a little it feeds fine. Thanks!!!
Old June 25, 2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Z400ACDC

Taylor, thanks for posting that fix. It works great now.
Old June 25, 2014, 09:28 AM   #6
taylorce1

You are welcome.
Old June 25, 2014, 11:30 PM   #7
Z400ACDC

Well, I had to do a little more work on "The Mag Fix" This morning everything ran fine. I had trouble with the first 4 rounds jamming this afternoon. I took a heat gun a closed the gap to .335. That fixed it for now. I contacted Ruger and we will se if they have updated mags.
Old June 27, 2014, 11:13 AM   #8
Z400ACDC

Ruger is sending a new mag. I hope it is a updated one.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:30 PM   #9
DelawareDevil

My 223 hangs up, too

I bought it at the beginning of June, and have had trouble with the mag from the beginning. I was using cheap FMJ ammo just to get it on the paper. So I switched to some of my hand loads, no better. I contacted Ruger and they said to send my mag back. I will but not yet. I tried loading it single shot without the mag. My fingers just seem to be big to load a round through the ejection port, with no support from below. I can load it if I stand it on it's nose and just drop them through.
Right now, with the beans still low, I'm having too much fun with the groundhogs. The mag will go back, but after the beans get higher. I'm too dangerous with a dremel tool, so I won't attempt a home repair.
Shooting 50 grain Hornady Vmaxx and keeping them in a quarter sized circle at 100 yds.
Old July 3, 2014, 11:13 PM   #10
Z400ACDC

Ruger sent me a new mag and it feeds fine. They did not ask for the old one back.
Old July 5, 2014, 01:19 PM   #11
Bilzer

Ruger American

I just ordered a Ruger American Predator today., Should get it on Wednesday hopefully. I am getting the Predator version in 223. My use it to shoot off a bench out to 200 yards (current range only has a 200 yard max).
Any suggestions on a scope for this? Also, interested in hearing some feedback on these rifles. I am hoping the slightly thicker barrel in the Predator version may help with accuracy.
Old July 6, 2014, 06:09 AM   #12
Z400ACDC

I stuck a cheap 3-9x40 Simmons on mine I had laying around on mine. I shoot at my home range off bipod at 150. I can hit clays fine at that range. I am thinking about a Mueller 4-14x44AO APV. I have 2 of them on my rim fires and they work great($130).
Old July 7, 2014, 05:38 AM   #13
rfd

Quote:
I just ordered a Ruger American Predator today., Should get it on Wednesday hopefully. I am getting the Predator version in 223. My use it to shoot off a bench out to 200 yards (current range only has a 200 yard max).
Any suggestions on a scope for this? Also, interested in hearing some feedback on these rifles. I am hoping the slightly thicker barrel in the Predator version may help with accuracy.
though i have not handled a RAP in person, i seriously doubt the "heavier" barrel will make any significant difference with accuracy (keeping the barrel cooler for multiple sequential shots) - it's really not a heavy bull barrel by any stretch of imagination, just a tad more metal than the RAR barrel.

since you asked for scope suggestions, i use swfa s/s fixed power scopes for most of my rifles, 10x or 12x (but can be had in 16x and 20x if need be). these are superb military mrad scopes with 30mm tubes and are uber cheap at $300. a 10x on my RAR in .243win ...

Old September 21, 2014, 04:23 PM   #14
mwells72774

We just got one of the american compact models and the mags still hang up on the last round. I'm really surprised with all the positive reviews of the light pills seeing as its a 1-8". I've loaded some 55gr and some 60gr and they do alright. What velocity are y'all running those 50 and belows at?
Old September 23, 2014, 08:15 AM   #15
Z400ACDC

I put a new Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 BDC on my .223. I was wondering if the flexible stock hurt accuracy. I tested it by shooting it at 100 yards while twisting the the stock from left to right. It still shot a 2'' group off bipod. I am very happy with this budget rifle!
Old September 23, 2014, 04:25 PM   #16
NHSHOOTER

I have a Nikon Buckmaster on my 223 and my 22-250, 6-18x40, with handloads I get a 3/8" group @ 100 yds and on a good day can do the same at 200. I will add, I do not have a ruger american, I have a Tikka T3 lite. I know its the rifle that makes the groups but the scope helps you keep em tight. The one thing I really like about the scope is that it has 1/8 MOA clicks. External.