The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 6, 2008, 12:02 PM   #1
44Magnum

Gunsmith Checkout?

I have a rifle (was my father's) that just needs a little TLC. I have never been to a gunsmith and don't know how to check them out, so to speak. Is there a gunsmith guild or something that would have a list of names in my area that have gone through a certification standard? I don't want to hand the gun over to some guy that may not know what the heck he's doing.
Old October 6, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Jim Watson

What kind of rifle is it?
I think this run to the gunsmith with any used gun business is kind of overdone these days. I have bought a lot of second hand and surplus guns without professional inspection and haven't blown one up yet.
Old October 6, 2008, 12:14 PM   #3
M1911

What kind of TLC does the rifle need?
Old October 6, 2008, 12:49 PM   #4
44Magnum

It's not an inspection, per se, since the weapon has been in the family. It's just been shot quite a bit and needs a "tune-up" since some of the parts are quite worn. I don't wish to simply toss it because it has sentimental value.

The title is misleading. I don't mean "check the gun out," I mean "check the gunsmith out" (what to look for in a good smith).
Old October 6, 2008, 01:04 PM   #5
HiBC

Unfortunately,to the best of my knowledge,its kind of like checking out a Doctor,or Car Mechanic,or Boatmechanic.

Then there are spouses,lawyers,bird dogs and fishmongers.

I hope that helps :-) !!!
Old October 6, 2008, 01:28 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The best bet is to talk to local dealers. Most know a gunsmith they send work to. There is also the phone book but you take a chance there.

It may be hard to find someone to work on an old or inexpensive gun like, say, a cheap .22 single shot. Parts may not be available and the cost of the work may be more than the gun is worth. If the gun is good quality or even in the collectible category, more caution is advised since doing anything except replacing needed parts may reduce the value.

Jim
Old October 6, 2008, 03:09 PM   #7
M1911

Quote:
It's not an inspection, per se, since the weapon has been in the family. It's just been shot quite a bit and needs a "tune-up" since some of the parts are quite worn. I don't wish to simply toss it because it has sentimental value.
Sorry, to be obtuse, but what do you mean by "tune-up"? What is it doing wrong? Is the gun inaccurate? Is it misfiring? Is it hard to load the chamber or hard to extract the spent cartridge from the chamber? Is the safety and/or bolt not working properly? Is the trigger feel poor? Is it just that the stock and/or receiver finish is worn? Please describe, in detail, the behavior of the gun that is a problem.

I've got plenty of old guns, including surplus military rifles, that are old, and have worn finishes -- they look like hell. But they shoot just fine and frankly nothing needs to be done to them. If it still works, leave it alone.
Old October 6, 2008, 10:05 PM   #8
10-96

Yes, there is a lot of questions that could be answered here- but I can see the guy's point. Aside from it blowing up- there's not much worse than having a firearm that one has no confidence/faith in. A piece of mind goes a long- long ways.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 7, 2008, 12:20 PM   #9
ActivShootr

If you just want someone to tell you it is unsafe to shoot, your local gunsmith could probably do that.

For reference, it would help to know the type of rifle and your location.
Old October 7, 2008, 05:12 PM   #10
vytoland

Talk with the folks at your local gun/sport stores or the members of a shooting/sports club. Some of the members of the VFW chapter may be guns owners.

Any of these guys may be able to tell you of their experiences with local gunsmiths.