The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 13, 2004, 10:52 AM   #51
Jeeper

I learned that you really must shoot your own game and not try to shoot at another level.
Old July 1, 2004, 01:55 PM   #52
W Turner

Slow down

Practice more

Don't mix 10mm with .45acp in your range bag (NOTE- a round of 10mm Blazer WILL feed and fire in a RIA 1911), this was embarassing and a cardinal safet violation, RO could/should have DQ'd me

Practice more

Buy a timer and practice with it

Practice more

Have a beavertail installed on my 1911, bloody hands don't help an already bad day

The safest place to stand when I am shooting is right in front of me

Practice more

Oh, yeah almost forgot...........PRACTICE MORE!

W
Old July 1, 2004, 05:40 PM   #53
FirstFreedom

Disengage the safety.
Old July 6, 2004, 02:28 PM   #54
fyrestarter

Letting all 23 rounds from a super-hi-cap 9mm fly at steel in under 6 seconds during a Comstock course is legal, but gets some odd looks from your fellow competitors. (It was a new mag -- it couldn't be helped)

Revolver shooters have severe brain damage, but are damn fast.

Glocks only stovepipe during Classifier courses.

Misfires only occur just after you say to yourself, "I have enough rounds in my current mag to get through the second string."

Those who can shoot, shoot Limited.
Those who can't, shoot Open.
Those who can't shoot Open, shoot Cowboy.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old July 11, 2004, 05:50 PM   #55
faustulus

No matter how slow you think you are going it is all happening much faster than it appears.

ultima ratio regum
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet
Old October 9, 2004, 10:04 PM   #56
xmastree

When a mag has been on the ground, Empty it and clean it!
Old October 17, 2004, 09:35 PM   #57
xmastree

I shoot better with my Colt .45 Gold Cup than I do with my STI/Caspian Super.38 laser sighted, ported and compensated race gun.

Humph!
Old October 17, 2004, 11:38 PM   #58
8ring

For USPSA:

Preparation: Sight in on steel plates during practice. Get the sight picture you want, remember it, and use the same sight picture in the match.

Always call the second shot on paper targets before going to the next target. Avoids infuriating mikes.

See what you need to see to make the shot, let the gun go off, call the shot as it goes off.

For revolver:

1. A solid grip and index is better than a fast draw.

2. Get on the same squad with other revolver shooters; misery loves company.

3. Don't think about the trigger.
Old October 18, 2004, 02:12 AM   #59
xmastree

If
A) you're having a man v man at the end of the competition.
And:
B) You see your buddy struggling to pull a mag out from his leather pouch.
And:
C) You have a spare pouch, much better quality, which actually belongs to the aforementioned buddy.

Don't give it back to him, you might end up losing to him in the final by a really small margin which may well have been the other way round had you not given him the pouch...
Old November 9, 2004, 12:03 AM   #60
flycaster

Two things learned:

1. Controlling the trigger is at least as important as getting the sights on target. Just ask Rob Leatham.
2. Bring a terrycloth towel- ain't nothing like dry hands on a handgun when the competition gets hot.

Chuck
Old November 10, 2004, 12:50 PM   #61
Igloodude

And for bullseye 30-rd league matches...

A wonderful slowfire score, an even better timed fire score, and five 10's in rapid don't matter at all when shooting the final rapid string. Shoot the last five rounds just like the first five, because every time you think about your final score you can deduct a few points off it.

A Zen-ish attitude is pretty good for Bullseye shooting, but for me a lobotomy would be simpler and probably more effective...
Old November 14, 2004, 02:20 PM   #62
SnWnMe

You can never miss fast enough
Old November 26, 2004, 10:39 PM   #63
Indy_SIG

I learned that I'm getting old and I don't see as well as I used to......
Old November 30, 2004, 03:07 AM   #64
xmastree

I learned that I'm improving.
No misses, no penalties, only a few re-engagements, and I brought home a
Trophy! :barf:
Old November 30, 2004, 10:29 AM   #65
TechPyle

Slow way down when shooting a limited stage that involves leaning way around a baracade, with targets that have black hard cover painted on half of them. Hitting the target in the black does not make for a good time no matter how fast you shoot the stage.
Old December 8, 2004, 12:34 AM   #66
Jeff22

(1.) Go slow enough to get your hits! Regardless of the format of the match or the scoring system used or if it's IPSC or IDPA, ONLY HITS COUNT!

(2.) Use factory ammo! (I learned this a long time ago) Unless you are very careful in your reloading and taper crimp all your rounds, you're probably better off to buy a couple of boxes of fairly hot factory ammo to shoot competitively and save the reloads for practice. (I always liked military-spec in .45 and 9mm. I haven't had my .40 long enough to settle on a "favorite" generic factory load)

(3.) Function test your equipment.

(4.) Clean your gun and lube it before the match.

(5.) Replace your magazine springs every three years or so.
Old April 18, 2005, 04:50 PM   #67
otasan

What I Learned

1. I learned that I can hit the sweet spot on bowling pins at 50 feet about 95% of the time.

2. It takes me roughly twice as long to clear five pins off a table at 50 feet as it does at 25 feet (6 seconds vice 3 seconds)

3. I learned that unwarranted shooter-envy poisons a shooting match.

4. I learned that I should find out in advance before I drive 100 miles to a pin shoot if there are going to be club-sanctioned penalties for shooting well.
Old April 18, 2005, 09:16 PM   #68
xmastree

Quote:
Regardless of the format of the match or the scoring system used or if it's IPSC or IDPA, ONLY HITS COUNT!
Well, that's true but during a recent IPSC comp, I was comparing my scores with ahother in the same class. He had faster times but more misses, and finished higher than me...
Old April 18, 2005, 10:14 PM   #69
MX5

When I first started IPSC (crossing over from precision sports) I learned I needed to speed up. About the time I got deep into B class and was shooting fast as heck, but sending too many rounds South, I realized I had to slow down. Now I know thinking in terms of time is a recipie for diaster. See what you need to see to make and call the shot, nothing more, nothing less. The time will be what it will be.
Old April 18, 2005, 11:12 PM   #70
30Cal

Highpower:
1. Never accept a poor shot. Spending too long getting the shot off is a sure recipe for a poor shot
2. You have all the time in the world at 600yds. There's usually time to hold off for a bit when the wind gets flakey.
3. I can shoot a lot better than I give myself credit for. Don't set point oriented goals. Aim for 10's and X's

I had a good last match! In spite of my Expert card, I shot a 483-10X and took home 10 Leg points with a silver place medal!

Ty
Old May 25, 2005, 10:34 AM   #71
Old Shooter

I finally learned that I need a bigger front sight and new shooting glasses. It's tough growing old.

I just bough an XS systems with the "big dot" front sight for my S&W 1911 - OH ... and a mag well.
Old May 26, 2005, 08:02 PM   #72
J.D.B.

Caz223, are you shooting at Top Gun? I learned a few important things: There is NO substitute for trigger control, 1911 45's are very tough to beat in bowling pins, and When I miss a match, I MISS it in my soul .
Josh
(Loving my new-to-me Commander!)
Old June 18, 2005, 02:27 AM   #73
SVDEP140

USPSA style match:

Skill and practice can count more than having high $$$ gear, example: the gun I normaly use is a SV Infinity SWAT in .40 s&w with a Safariland speed rig. I had a problem that prevented me from using it, so I had to use my Glock 22 with my duty gear, since it was the only holster I had for it. My buddies where ribbing me saying that they had me at a disadvantage. It turns out that I shot very well and ended up beating both of them. I think that if you focus on the fundamentals, that the equipment doesn't make a lot of difference as long as it functions.
I also learned that its entertaining to watch the base plate fall off a magazine
while its being seated in the gun, with the spring flying one way, the follower going another and all the rounds cascading to the ground. I also learned that this is not as entertaining for the one who is holding the paticular gun at the time.(laugh, we've all had something similar happen to all of us!)
Old June 20, 2005, 11:38 PM   #74
mike4045

Test fire the new gun before trying to use it in a match.

Mike
Old June 22, 2005, 09:52 PM   #75
HKGuns

Be very careful to avoid pressing the P7 slide retainer button when racking a round into the chamber while preparing to shoot. I did this at a match two weekends ago, upon releasing the slide to chamber the round the slide flew off the pistol and hit the target about 5' in front of me.

Needless to say I got a good laugh from everyone. The SO didn't know what to do.