The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 15, 2022, 12:45 AM   #1
AzShooter

Shot My 617 For Steel Challenge Today

Finally got to shoot a match with my 617. I really enjoyed it more than shooting my Black Mamba. There's just something about revolvers that fit my hands better.

I shot an abbriviated Steel Challenge Match. We could only shoot 5 of the 8 stages because another club took over one of the larger bays for a Bullseye Match. Here we are trying to go as fast as possible and watching them shoot 5 shots in 10 seconds.

Well, I did pretty good. I came in second in my class. Shot right around my average so I'm pretty happy. I shot in Rimfire Pistol Iron against the autos. They don't distinguish revolvers instead of autos in Rimfire.

Typical, I smoked a couple of the stages and trashed a couple going too fast. At least I never needed a reload with my DS-10 Speed Loaders. I also never needed to clean my cylinders while shooting Federal BYOB 40 grain bullets. That stuff is clean in my revolver and it's fortunate that I have about 15,000 rounds of it. When that's done I'm going to switch to Blazers.

I shot with a great group of guys. All of us were around 70 years old and told the stories of our youth and how we shot much better. Oh the lies...

It was one of the most fun matches I've been in.

Well there you go. It's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old March 21, 2022, 01:30 AM   #2
AzShooter

Today I shot the match with my C-More Slide Ride attached.

It was the most fun match I've shot in years and I managed to do quite well. I ended up in the middle of the pac with a total of 150 seconds in Rimfire Pistol Open. It's not great but it's the best I've shot in 5 years, beating my average by 40 seconds and my fastest time by 17 seconds.
Old March 23, 2022, 02:47 AM   #3
chadio

Excellent - thanks for the pics and the match review