The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 27, 2002, 01:34 PM   #1
PALongbow

Preparing to Hunt with a Revolver

I need some help again from you die hard revolver hunters. How should I sight my revolver in for hunting? I shoot a revolver with a 2X20 scope. I shot off the bench and off hand, the bullet impact is like night and day. I probably will be hunting with no bench in the woods so more than likely I will be shooting off hand at deer or possibly leaning against a tree for some added support.

How should I practice and sight my gun in for hunting purposes? Need some helpful suggestions.

Ron
Old May 27, 2002, 02:36 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

At the bench, the barrel should not be resting on anything. A two-hand grip with sandbag bracing should let your apparent zero be nearly the same as offhand.

For most revolver cartridges on deer-sized game, around 75 yards is about the maximum effectiveness for both delivered energy and skill for a proper shot placement. Roughly. Many will restrain themselves to 40 or 50 yards.

So, a 50-yard zero should work. Again, roughly, an inch high at 25, maybe, and an inch or so low at 75. "Point it and pull; don't think," if you're within that 75-yard distance.

Art
Old May 30, 2002, 10:29 AM   #3
Jeeper

I agree with Art but have a slightly different view. A lot of the times when I hunt with a revolver I use a walking stick with a V on it to shoot from. It is very steady and I can hit at 100 yard with good confidence. With this being said I also practice off the same device. When you sight in a pistol you need to make sure that it can move with the recoil. You cant set both ends of the gun on the bench. I usually set the barrel or front of trigger housing on a rest or sandbag and keep the grip off of the bench. If both are on a bench you wont get good results. Determine what you are most likely to do in the field and then sight it in the same way. If you might rest it on a tree then devise a rest that is similar.
Old May 30, 2002, 11:30 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

For sighting in. Sometimes I bench with just my forearms resting on a bag. That seems to allow uninhibited recoil.

Sam
Old July 18, 2002, 08:43 PM   #5
PALongbow

Got to bring this one back to the top. I have been shooting for several weeks now off hand and by resting my right arm against a shooting house to simulate a tree in the woods and my shooting is progressing but not comfortable enough to hunt.

Should I use shooting sticks for hunting, lean against a tree, or just rest the barrel on a solid object such as a branch??? Seems that when I just lean the barrel on a solid object my shooting improves probably because I'm not jerking the gun down in anticipation of the recoil and my groups seem better than leaning my right arm against something and shooting offhand.

This has become very frustrating for me and I have a couple of months to get ready to hunt deer. Need some advise.

Ron
Old July 18, 2002, 09:13 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've had good results when using a Weaver stance, with my Redhawk. So far, I haven't had a problem hitting an eight-inch plate at around 30 yards. Sorta slow fire, though. Iron sights. I get the same point of impact as from the bench, where I rest my hands on the sandbags and no part of the revolver touches anything.

Use whatever two-handed stance which allows you to feel the steadiest. Using light loads, work on trigger control and sight picture.

As a for instance, I've drawn a pencil line around a nickel. A .45 will cut this out of the paper in seven shots, if you're perfect. Shoot at about five yards. Or, just try to put every shot through the middle of the "nickel".

The deal is to train yourself such that you send the signal to your finger about 0.2 seconds before the sights wobble onto the exact aiming point you desire. (Same sort of deal as the Olympic shooters firing between heartbeats, insofar as control.) All of us have to deal with that 0.2-second lag between the brain saying, "Do it!" and the muscles responding.

But, sure, use a shooting stick or sticks if you want. Whatever works is by definition good. Remember, though, if you rest the back of your hand against a tree when you shoot, you can scrape off some skin! You might wear a glove with the trigger finger cut back.

Art
Old July 19, 2002, 04:57 PM   #7
MHOGAN

I have missed two with a scoped pistol trying to shoot off-hand and harvested the two I shot while sitting and resting my elbows on my knees. I will try very hard to use a tree or my knees for future shoots. Hi Ron, small world.
Old July 20, 2002, 02:39 AM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

" ... my shooting improves probably because I'm not jerking the gun down in anticipation of the recoil and my groups seem better ..."

Forgive please, but that's where part of the problem's coming into play. Don't "anticipate" anything," ... just let it happen & you're shooting will improve.

The sear break should be a surprise, although (as Art mentioned), you can "control" when it happens.