The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 14, 2013, 10:24 PM   #26
michael t

I use Corbon DPX 185gr plus P in my 1911's
Old May 14, 2013, 10:34 PM   #27
CharlieDeltaJuliet

1. Winchester Ranger +P 230gr.
2. Hornady Critical Duty +P 230gr.
3. Hornady Critical Defense 185gr. FTX
4. Federal HST +P 230gr.

These are just my personal favorites....
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 15, 2013, 11:44 AM   #28
Mystro

Gold Dot 200 +p or GD 230jhp are my top choice.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old May 15, 2013, 09:53 PM   #29
s4s4u

Quote:
Surprised no one has suggested hardball. A .45 1911 is the only one of my guns that I don't have to shop for exotic ammo to make up for the fact that it's not a. 45.
Exactly. I load a 230 FMJ in front of 8 grains of HS-6 for an MV of about 800FPS, and my 1911's eat them like candy. If you can keep coming after taking one of those in the chest you are already dead, but I sure as hell can't be accused of shooting "super bullets". These factory loads that "leaves a rather nasty wound" as someone said, would seem more prone to scrutiny I'd think. But it is all in the marketing, whether it be salesmen or lawyers.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:56 PM   #30
KyJim

I agree that hardball is not a bad choice in .45 acp. It's just not the best choice and that was the question.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:39 AM   #31
Mystro

Massive damage in any size 45acp gun. This is one of the reasons i don't carry my 10mm that much anymore and just stick with my 45.

Gold Dot 230
As good as it gets.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=frFfF-hWpxk

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old May 18, 2013, 06:57 AM   #32
Webleymkv

Really, any JHP 200gr or heavier is at least decent. Part of the beauty of the .45 is that you don't have to be particularly picky about ammo because most JHP loadings have enough weight to penetrate adequately and a large enough cavity to expand reliably even if loaded with older JHP bullet designs. My personal preference is Federal HST 230gr +P but I wouldn't feel bad about Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester Ranger or PDX1, Hornady XTP or Critical Duty.
Old May 18, 2013, 07:39 AM   #33
csmsss

I'm quite partial to Winchester Ranger-T 230 grain pills. Large, deep permanent wound cavities.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:52 AM   #34
Mystro

The 45acp is much easier picking a round than other calibers. Its so easy that hardball can work but considering the performance of modern hollow points, any mentioned above is a better choice. If your 45 pistol needs hard ball to function reliably, then you probably should get another 45.

Old May 18, 2013, 10:03 AM   #35
skoro

Best .45 defensive ammo

My honest opinion is that any of the top shelf ammo from one of the major producers will serve well. Remington golden sabers, Winchester PDX, Hornady critical defense, Speer gold dots, Federal HST; they're all good stuff.

Then there's the "boutique" ammo from Cor-Bon, Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, etc. I'm sure it's good, too. But I don't know if its performance justifies the extra cost.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:30 AM   #36
bikerbill

I load 185gr Critical Defense standard pressure in both my nightstand Springer Loaded and in a Kimber UCII I occasionally carry ... both feed the rounds perfectly, it's accurate if I do my part and I trust it ... In fact, any gun I own that is used for SD in any way will be loaded with CD rounds ... that includes the NAA Pug I carry in my pocket when I'm home during the day ... I just like shooting them; I'm guessing any brand name JHP that feeds would be fine ...
Old May 18, 2013, 10:32 AM   #37
Revolver1

PMC Starfire 230gr!
Old May 18, 2013, 06:31 PM   #38
III-Percent

+1 to Hornady Critical Duty +P 230gr