The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2001, 06:12 PM   #1
Seeker

Feed Problems w/ Marlin Mdl 60

Hello All,

I have a Marlin Mdl 60 that I bought new about 17 years ago, it was my first firearm and as such has some sentimental value as well as it shoots pretty dang straight.

A "few" years ago the pin tha hold the magazine tube in place popped out while in the field, as a field expedient solution invovled a little duck tape. and the rifle worked fine for a a number of years, which didn't invovle a lot of shooting and then I stopped shooting it in favor of other rifles. Well I decided to refamiarize myself with it and have had problems with it feeding. Initailly it would jam occasionally. By jam I mean it would eject the spent casing pick up the next rnd and only get this part to the chamber (ata 45 degree angle) before the slide came forward and trapped it. This only happened ocassionally but it became more frequent to the point it did it every time the action cycled.

I disassembled the gun and gave it a very thourogh cleaning, tested and it still had problem. Played with it a bit and noticed that the rim on the brass was hanging up in the channel between the magazine and the chamber (in that chome unit). I did some extra cleaning and fussing over this part, reassembled and tested - no joy. Thought maybe the bolt retun spring was bad so I replaced it, no improvement. Thought maybe the magazine/duct tape solution had failed so I removed the duct tape and put a pin (didn't have a real pin so I used a piece of paper clip double over to make a cotter pin that fit tightly throu the hole in the ring at the muzzle end of the barrel) in so that it engaged the notch in the muzzle end of the tube. Tested and it fired 3 rnds and jammed. Cleared jamm and fired 6 rnds rapidly and it jammed again. Now it consistantly jams every couple of rounds, and the tube appears to be tight in place still.

Any suggestions, short of taking to the gun smiith? the smith wants 30 bucks to start on it and I don't have any money (I am in between jobs) to spend.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old September 10, 2001, 11:52 PM   #2
biganimal

seeker
first thing you should check on the model 60 is the cartridge follower in the tube magazine. I've repaired several that the plastic follower broke thus causing the rifle to jam. sometimes the follower dosen't look broken but upon comparing it to a good one it will be shorter. if your follower is intact the problem may lie with the elevator as these get worn. best remedy is replacement of the part.
hope this helps
Old September 13, 2001, 10:43 AM   #3
Dave R

Biganimal, what is the "elevator"?

I've got an old Model 60 that does the same thing. FTF with the nose of the bullet impacting the barrel above (or below? can't remember) the chamber.
Old September 14, 2001, 06:35 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I believe he's referring to the lifter which is the part that actually raises the round from the mag tube. George
Old September 14, 2001, 06:38 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Forgot to add there were 3 different feed throat designs used in these guns. Now there are only parts available for one. You might find yourself with an older version that needs to be converted. If that's the case, Brownells sells the conversion kit. www.brownells.com George
Old September 16, 2001, 01:05 AM   #6
biganimal

george
that is correct
Old October 16, 2001, 02:22 PM   #7
Seeker

Resolved?

Well,

Marcus - I have been having the exact same problem as you described in your thread.

I gave the ol' girl (purchased new in 1984) a good clean and inspection and everything looked good - the lifter didn't seem worn the feed ramp was smooth , the pusher in the mag tude was in good shape. After this I took it out and managed to get it to fire half a dozen rnds without error, the 3 rnds, then 2, then every rnd. So I put it back in the safe until I get a job and can afford repairs.

Took it out the other day, just for the heck of it, and gave it a try. She worked fine, mostly. Had 2 jams out of 150 rnds. Slow fire and rapid fire both worked good.

The only real difference was that I was using the Ferdeal Bulk pack ammo instead of the Rem Golden Bullet.

So if you are still out there Marcus try the Federal Bulk pack ammo and see if it helps.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old October 16, 2001, 06:30 PM   #8
Cheapo

Check spring tension on the elevator. If it comes up too slowly, the round gets bunged up. Careful bending of the spring *might* be in order.....

Also check to see if the rim or bullet or anything else hangs up when being lifted from the feed tube to the barrel feed position. Check the elevator itself, too.

That chrome-plated pot metal thingy is the weak point of the whole design, IMO.
Old October 16, 2001, 06:51 PM   #9
Lavan

I had one 30 years ago. Had bad casting in receiver somewhere. Sold it and got a Ruger 10/22.
That was a PERMANENT fix.
Old October 16, 2001, 08:49 PM   #10
fastvfr

As Lavan said.

I have owned 3 different M60's over the years, and also an M70 Marlin Glenfield magazine-fed auto. All great guns; accurate, dependable, and inexpensive. Mine gave me no troubles.

But, I get better accuracy from a shorter rifle with the 10/22 All-Weather in the safe. A permanent fix for a problem that had not shown itself yet? Maybe so.

But just try to do a decent trigger job on a Marlin M60 and stay safe...either you are safe or you have a nice trigger. In my experience, not both! Plus the 10/22 allows for a REAL scope mount installation! Not to mention that the Ruger has a stiffer receiver.

And is it ever LIGHT!

Regards,

FastVFR