The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2015, 11:51 PM   #1
bspillman

Who invented the pump shotgun?

When and where please.
Old July 20, 2015, 01:03 AM   #2
ReadyOnTheRight

I believe that it was John Moses Browning. I hope you all own several.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old July 20, 2015, 01:04 AM   #3
ReadyOnTheRight

When?: 1893 or so.
Where?: Pretty sure it was Utah.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old July 20, 2015, 01:25 AM   #4
bungiex88

I need a pump shotgun all I have is a single shot 20 which I love for squirel but I need a pump
Old July 20, 2015, 01:48 AM   #5
Virginian

The first pump action shotgun, the Spencer M1882,
After Christopher Spencer invented the Spencer Repeating Rifle, he made a nice living inventing various tools and machines such as a new type of sewing machine, a lathe, a steam carriage, and drop forged hand tools. In the 1870’s he was partner with Sylvester H. Roper to produce the Roper Revolving Shotgun, a design which was ingenious but a commercial failure.
In 1882 Spencer formed his own company called the Spencer Repeating Arms Co. located in Amherst, Massachusetts. It was there that he invented a new type of shotgun, a shotgun which used a slide mechanism which loaded shells from a tubular magazine. Called the Spencer Model 1882 it is famous for being the first pump action shotgun in the world and the first successful repeating shotgun design. Chambered in 12 gauge (with some 10 gauges being produced), the Spencer 1882 held five rounds in a tubular magazine beneath the barrel. With a working of the pump action a shell was removed from the magazine and inserted into the chamber. Empty shells were ejected out from the top of the receiver.
Unlike the Roper design, the Spencer 1882 became the most popular model of repeating shotgun at the time. Eventually, successive models of pump action shotguns would replace the double barrel as the shotgun of choice. Even today the pump action shotgun is the most popular form of shotgun among hunters, police, military, and sport shooters. The Spencer 1882 was manufactured by Spencer from 1882 to 1890. It was then that Spencer sold his company to Francis Bannerman, who continued to produce the design until 1907.
Old July 20, 2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Enough bickering please, gentlemen.

If you don't have an on-point answer to a post, please hold your tongue.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 20, 2015, 02:41 PM   #7
thallub

Virginian nailed it. i often hunted with a Spencer as a kid. The action of this one is sticky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByfj6nAEFg
Old July 20, 2015, 07:14 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have a Spencer pump gun, one of the few shotguns I own. It works all right and fires, but the mechanism is interesting.

I won't try to go into detail, but the bolt and carrier are combined. The bolt does not move back and forth like modern pump guns. Instead the combined bolt/carrier is pivoted at the rear and moves up and down like a waving hand.

Odd, but not bad for a first try, and it works, though at first the action is a bit startling.

Jim