The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 28, 2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Boberama

Kershaw Speed Safe?

Please explain the operation of these knives to me.

I want to know if they are legal in Canada. I have seen them for sale, but that does not mean they are not prohibited weapons here.

Here's the law:

Quote:
Certain knives are designated as 'prohibited weapons' pursuant to the Criminal Code of Canada. Section 84(1) defines such knives as "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife". By law, only those who have been granted exemption by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police via the Canadian Firearms Program are allowed to possess (but not acquire) prohibited weapons.

If one is found to be in unauthorized possession of prohibited weapon by any law enforcement officer, he or she is liable to maximum of 5 years in jail and the weapon being seized. The peace officer can then apply to a provincial court judge for the said weapon to be forfeited and be disposed as he or she sees fit. The import and export of such devices are also strictly regulated and enforced by the Canada Border Services Agency.

Examples of such knives include:
automatic knives
centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
gravity knives;
Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife)
finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
push daggers;
spiked wristbands;
As I've said, the Border Services Agency will let these knives through the border, even after inspecting them, and they are for sale in some stores, but if one had to use one....there would be a lot closer inspection of the knife.

I'm looking at getting either a Ken Onion Leek or a Junkyard Dog II or one the the Zero Tolerance Kershaws.
I like the Speed Safe, but don't know how it works.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:18 PM   #2
hoytinak

That's the same as the Texas state law on knives and the Kershaw's are legal here. There's no button or anything on the handle to open the knife, you're basically just pushing the blade itself out so it's legal here.

Last edited by hoytinak; May 28, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:24 PM   #3
kingkeoni

The speed safe was designed specifically to comply with laws restricting push button open and gravity open knives.

Here's Kershaws description
http://www.kershawknives.com/knifetech.php?feature_id=1
Old May 28, 2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Boberama

Thanks.

I did some research.

An Ontario court found it was legal.

But other jurisdictions have not, yet.