The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 10, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1
cek

In 50 Words: What the Right to Bear Arms means to you

After getting back into shooting recently (my son has "turned of age" and we've been having a blast reloading and...well..blasting away) I happened across the Gun Digest archive site. The blog post I wrote this weekend tells the story; I figure people here would apprecaite it...

---------

Full blog post with pictures here

---------

Gun Digest ran an essay contest in 1964: In 50 words or less write what the Right to Bear Arms means to you. The winner would get an all expense paid hunting safari to Africa.

I had known my father (Charles E. “Ted” Kindel) had won this contest when I was a kid but didn’t really know the details. All the family knew was that it was an essay contest in “some gun magazine”, that the prize was a safari to Africa, and that it was one of the several African safaris my dad went on.

When my father died in 1990 we found in one of his files what I thought was the essay:
“My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust.”
My notes show he wrote this in 1962. I’ve never had any reason to believe this wasn’t the actual final wording of his winning entry.

The other day I happened across the Gun Digest Research website and on a whim searched for “Ted Kindel” and got hits for both the 1965 and 1966 issues. I immediately went to eBay and found copies of both these issues for sale and bought them (I didn’t feel like subscribing to the Gun Digest Research site).

I can’t tell for sure in which issue the contest was described. I suspect it was in the 1964 issue and I’m going to order that as well so I can see how the contest was actually worded. But the 1965 and 1966 issues are full of both information about my dad and great photos of him. Page 206 of the 1965 issue contains the announcement that my dad has won as well as the text of his winning entry.

The 1966 issue contains the story of his Safari to Africa, including pictures of some of the game he bagged.

The fascinating thing is the essay, as printed in the 1965 issue is different than the one we have in our files (I only have an electronic copy and I do not remember where it originally was copied from). It says the same thing, but is longer and more wordy. I find this odd because I can remember my dad nagging on my own writing as being too wordy.
“A mutual trust between the citizen and his government is a paramount essential of the American dream. To me this trust is best exemplified by my constitutional right to bear arms. Only as long as such trust exists can we maintain our cherished concepts of human dignity and individual freedom.”
My version is 40 words long. It is pretty awesome he crafted the “final” version to be precisely 50 words.
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old August 10, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Skan21

Mine's much less than 50 words. The second amendment, to me, is the right to remain free. I'm already reasonably free, and with help from the second amendment, I'm going to stay that way.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 11, 2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Not a civil rights issue, nor an issue of Law. Moved to GenDisc.
Old August 11, 2009, 09:18 AM   #4
jfrey123

The Second Amendment means, to me, that the forefathers believed gun ownership was the second most important right. Out of all the other specific rights, the right to keep and carry a firearm is second only to free speech.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:16 AM   #5
MajorWhiteBoy

peace of mind.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

It means all of the constitution is backed up by the power of the people who are armed and ready to defend it. It means I have the right to defend myself. Unless of course you live in Milwaukee Wisconsin or Cook county Illinois.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 11, 2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Freedom

It really has nothing to do with guns, in my estimation. It's freedom. The freedom for humanity to peaceably do whatever they have a desire to do. The 2nd is merely a tiny piece of that freedom that had been targeted in the past and so the founders saw fit to protect it into the future.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:45 AM   #8
pax

cek,

What a cool story! You must be very proud of your dad to have left such a heritage behind him.

pax
Old August 11, 2009, 04:15 PM   #9
UniversalFrost

for me it is protecting myself by bearing arms to prevent any armed bears from getting me

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 11, 2009, 06:34 PM   #10
EnoughGUN

arms

The order of amendments does not mean that is the order of importance. The right to bear arms is an inherent human right PROTECTED by the constitution NOT provided by it. People trying to infringe on this right by changing the amendment or attempting to reestablish its meaning are missing the point. You could erase the 2nd amendment entirely yet we all would still have this right, the Govt would just not recognize it.

When the Govt no longer believes its citizens have the right to protect themselves it will be the Govt we need protection from.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:06 PM   #11
45Gunner

The right to protect myself and my family from whomever or whatever wants to take what is ours, whether it be material or spiritual.
NRA Life Member
Old August 11, 2009, 08:35 PM   #12
rampage841512

Quote:
Freedom
Bingo. When I first read this thread's title that is the one word that popped into my head, and the only one that I feel is necessary.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:43 PM   #13
unloading

In 10:

It's the difference between being a citizen and a subject.
Old August 12, 2009, 12:07 PM   #14
shortwave

The U.S.A.
Old August 12, 2009, 01:31 PM   #15
Magi

Great post. Thanks for sharing ... truly inspiring!
Old August 12, 2009, 02:41 PM   #16
ISP 5353

What unloading said!
Old August 13, 2009, 10:02 PM   #17
Foxrr

Sadly, nothing! Here in Oz firearm ownership is officially a privilege not a right. One wrong move and zzzzzzzzzt.. your guns are in a safe at the nearest cop-shop! I dream of the day when Australia has a Bill of Rights but I fear it'll never include a Right to Bear Arms.

Sorry, 53(?) words..is 'zzzzzzzzt' a word?
Old August 14, 2009, 12:15 AM   #18
cek

Foxxr: LOL, but not in a happy way.
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old August 14, 2009, 06:44 AM   #19
Baba Louie

cek,
Great story. I'm sure you'll pass it on to your kids and their kids.

50 words or less (w/ historical reference below): Don't Tread On Me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old August 14, 2009, 06:52 AM   #20
PhoenixConflagration

My life belongs to me and it is fundamental that I will protect it with the best means physically possible. What's that, 20 words? I'll take it.

Tags
2nd amendment , essay contest , gun digest , kindel , rkba