The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Ruthless4christ

Need Recipe for Ol Possum

hey ya'll got any ideas for cooking possum? i have taken quite a few out these year and am board with frying em. any other ideas of how to make em taste good?
Old November 12, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Something about cooking on a pine wood board comes to mind...:barf:
Brent
Old November 12, 2008, 06:00 PM   #3
publius

Leave 'em there, buzzards and coyotes have to eat too.
Old November 12, 2008, 06:00 PM   #4
sureshots

Hotdogs

Hotdogs, Be nice. We must save the trees, remember?
Old November 12, 2008, 06:03 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

TEE-RUST Me... I wuz bein' nice... Now I do however have numerous bulldogs on the yard and they have not found a critter they don't like... I don't even clean them... I just present the fresh kill to one and they eat what they consider edible. I have found some teeth and a paw or 2 afterwards... they don't eat chicken feet either.
Brent
Old November 12, 2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Buzzcook

Never having cooked opossum I had to look it up in my grannies cookbook.

Quote:
Immerse in very hot (not boiling) water for one minute. Remove and use a dull knife to scrap off hair so that skin is not cut. Slit from bottom of throat to hind legs and remove entrails. Remove the head and tail if desired. Wash thoroughly inside and out with hot water. Cover with cold water to which has been added 1 cup of salt. Allow to stand over night; in the morning drain off the salted water and rinse with clear, boiling water.

Make stuffing as follows; Brown 1 cup finely chopped onion with 1 tablespoon butter. Add chopped opossum liver and cook untill tender. Add 1 cup of bread crumbs, a little chopped red pepper, a hard cooked egg, finely chopped, dash worchestershire sauce, salt and water to moisten. Stuff opossum with mixture, fasten the opening with skewers or by sewing. With 2 tablespoons water roast in moderate oven (350 F) untill meat is tender and richly browned. Baste constantly with opossum's own fat.Remove skewers or stitches, serve on a heated platter. Skim fat from gravy and serve with baked yams.
There ya go. The book is from the 1930's and the recipe is probably from way before that. This type of cookbook assumes that you know how to gut an animal, what a moderate oven is, how to make gravy, and how to make a basic stuffing amongst other things. I'd really recommend that you try to modernize the recipe.
Old November 12, 2008, 10:04 PM   #7
grymster2007

Quote:
they don't eat chicken feet either.
Hell, some of my in-laws eat chicken feet and claim they's real good too. I haven't knuckled under yet, but probably just a matter of time.

They don't mention possum, but I'll ask.

I didn't build this physique by being picky 'bout what I eat.
Old November 12, 2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Ruthless4christ

good work buzz, now i have something to work on! iv actually never thrown the darned thing in an oven!

by the way chickens feet are GREAT! as long as you peel them properly they make absalutely great soup! make it just like i would any other chicken soup
Old November 12, 2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
Something about cooking on a pine wood board comes to mind...
Brent
its honestly not that bad, gettig over te smell is the biggest hurdle, and the white haired ones are alot less gamey then the black ones.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:39 PM   #10
wpcexpert

I've never been able to bring myself to eat an opossum. Ever since I watched 5 crawl out of a dead cow's rear-end....nope, no sir.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 13, 2008, 01:47 PM   #11
Pahoo

Years ago, we use to trap in an area that had a couple of Hobo Jungles, anyone remember them?? They are now called "Homeless". Anyway whenever we trapped one, we would trade with the Hobos for old knives, lures and anything they might have. On more than one occasion, they invited us to join them in a Possum feed and or course we politely excused ourselves. On one occasion, we got a nice young one and started to skin it right there. We pulled the hide away and saw a bunch of stringy fat come with the hide. Did not take to long to figure out that we should stick to Coon, Beaver and yes, even Muskrats. We went back to trading with the Hobos. Even now, kind of hard to get that picture out of my head. Hey, it's still protien and there was a time when we were not so picky on what we ate and where it came from. My Grandmother use to cook kidneys.

Be Safe !!!!
Old November 13, 2008, 06:57 PM   #12
ActivShootr

How to make 'possum taste good.

1. Dig a large hole as far away from the house as you can.
2. Place 'possum in hole.
3. Cover with dirt.
4. Order pizza or chineese take-out.
5. Enjoy not eating 'possum.