The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1
layusn1

Dillon Trimmer Question

Someone loaned me their Dillon case trimmer with the 223 die to trim some cases. There were no instructions with it though so I'm a bit confused on a point or two. Is it actually a combination resize/trim die? Right now I am running all of the cases through a resize die to decap and resize them but I do have a Lee Universal Decap die. Should I be using that and then running the cases through the trimmer and not resizing them with the normal Lee resizing die? If it resizes as well I assume the brass needs to be lubed...if that is the case, wouldn't the brass spin inside the die? How does the case stay still enough for the blade to trim it? Do you just push down extra hard on the press handle? Thanks for any clarification.
Old June 20, 2007, 10:12 AM   #2
HankL

The trim die is a full length reloading die. Back the trimmer motor out of the way and set up the die like you would any other f/l sizing die. Case lube will not let the case spin in the die and if you don't use it you will end up sticking a case in the die.

Once you have the sizing part set lock the die in the press and adjust the trimmer motor down until you are getting cases trimmed to the correct length.

hth

Hank
Old June 20, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3
layusn1

Cool, thanks for the answer.