The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 5, 2001, 05:07 AM   #1
Bedeviler

Concerns if any on Mro7?

Here's a question for all of you that use or is familiar with MPro7. I just started using MPro7 gun cleaner while using Militec1 for lubricating and protection. I use the MPro7 for cleaing only. I spray it liberaly on the entire gun as the instructions say. But just wondering if this product can or will cause any corrosion or rust if it found its way into some areas that are not accessible to drying like being wiped off with a cloth, like behind the grips. I read the ingredients on this product and am not sure if it is in any way part water base. Previous to this, I was using Hoppes 9 for cleaning and was not really concerned about it going into hard to dry areas since it looked like a type of alcohol cleaner that would dry off on its own if not wiped and not cause rust. But this one looks like soap water and want to know if I should even worry or make this of any concern. After letting it sit for a few minutes, it dries off pretty good on its own like the Hoppes, but just like the Hoppes, leaves a sort of slippery protectant film or something. Anyways, just need your thoughts and feedbacks on this matter. Thanks in advance!
Old October 5, 2001, 09:24 AM   #2
LIProgun

Bedeviler, first let me say that MPro7 is an excellent solvent and cleaner. It will not "cause" corrosion, but because it leaves metal totally clean, the metal needs to be treated with a preservative (rust preventative) after using the MPro7. I have actually spoken with the company about this point.

Second, Militec-1 is a poor preservative. Check my article here and do a search for other current TFL threads on lubes/preservatives. Pay particular attention to posts by "Clayton." The man knows his stuff.

Third, your concern about rust developing on degreased areas that are inaccessible is valid. There is a good solution. Flood the area with a good preservative and lubricant. Aerosol sprays with a snorkel tube work particularly well in this application. Then blow out the excess with canned air or a compressor. That will leave a coating on the hidden parts, but not so much so as cause problems. Even better is to use a lubricant/preservative that dries such as Eezox or Prolix.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old October 8, 2001, 11:30 PM   #3
Clayton

LIProgun,
Thank you for your kind remark .

Bedeviler,
Mpro7 leaves behind a rust inhibiting residue(soap), so I wouldn't be too concerned about rust from the product itself.

Personally, I do not care for Mpro7, as it is nothing more than a detergent based cleaner, and an expensive one at that.

The best option I've found is to use a CLP type product, like Break-Free, Eezox, G96, or FP-10. They clean very well, as well as lube and protect. One product saves time, money, and space in your gear, and eliminates issues that occur when using two or three seperate products.

I am also not a fan of Militec-1. It does nothing well, except empty your pocketbook. Just my opinion, of course .

If you plan on sticking with Militec, I recommend using it as it was intended, for cleaning, lubing, and protecting.

Militec-1 was originally designed for engines and transmissions, and therefore has lots of chemicals that may or may not be compatible with other products, like Mpro7. Be very cautious when mixing/matching lubes and cleaners, as they may have a negative effect on each other, causing rust or excessive wear to occur.

www.break-free.com
www.eezox.com
www.g96products.com
www.mpc-home.com
Old October 9, 2001, 03:47 PM   #4
PKAY

I wasn't gonna post on this one but I just can't help myself. I used Mpro7 for about a year. It cleaned OK, but once cleaned and a gun stored in the safe for about a month, I found a white powdery residue in the bore...on more than one gun. It wasn't corrosion or anything nasty. If I used a different bore cleaner on a new patch, the stuff came right off. Maybe I was doing something wrong when cleaning with Mpro7. Anyway, I have been using surplus mil spec bore cleaner followed by JB Bore paste, another swipe with some Hoppes on a clean patch and have had no problems since. The good thing about Mpro7, however, is it's non toxic. Been going through a lot of exam gloves lately. In fact, my neighbor remarked when he saw me don the gloves before cleaning a pistol, "Gee, Doc, do I bend over now!" There's plenty of stuff out there. Use what works for you.
Old October 9, 2001, 10:31 PM   #5
Clayton

PKAY, Mpro7 does indeed leave a "soap scum" film behind, as you discovered. The few guys I know that use it rinse well with hot water, to remove residue. IMO they should save their money and use dishwashing detergent, or try another method.

I would again caution against using several different products, like bore cleaners, as they aren't compatible. Some combinations have been found to etch bores, etc. Your best bet is to find one product that works well for you.

For those who like to use lots of seperate, yet compatible products, try www.kgproducts.com

For those who like a do-all product, I have been testing Eezox and it may be the best yet. My only complaint so far is the smell--not offensive, just noticable. Eezox informs me that it is not a problem with hunters, as the smell supposidly resembles a "fresh mowed wheat field". Try it out, great stuff. www.eezox.com

Ye old standby--Break-Free CLP. www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
Old October 10, 2001, 05:53 AM   #6
JNewell

Well, I wasn't gonna post on this either, but...

I once had a pair of revolvers lock up solid after sitting for a while with Break Free. Talked and talked with their tech guy (I was alarmed and annoyed), and we never figured it out -- his best guess: some kind of reaction between a lube already in the revolvers and the Break Free. I think he was right, and I very thoroughly clean anything that I'm changing lubes on.

After all has been said and done, I'm pretty much back to Break Free on nearly everything (Garands, M1 carbines and similar get grease, though). I'm with Clayton.
Old October 12, 2001, 07:49 PM   #7
drcohen

solvent cleaners, and most non-solvent based cleaners that work will leave a residue. that residue will be damaging to the lubricant put on after.

follow it with a quick wipe of isopropyl alcohol, and of course, dry it off if it doesnt evaporate first. that clears it.

actually, Mil-Comm's new MC-25 cleaner is a non-solvent cleaner without residue. seems safe.

www.mil-comm.com

but i don't think they post it yet. ask another dealer of tw-25b lube.
Old October 13, 2001, 09:10 AM   #8
Gr8shoot

The more I look into this subject of different chemicals, solvents, cleaners etc, I believe mixing them has a long term effect on the gun. Nothing short term, but in the long run, I think it will cause things to happen to it and cause more maintenance for the owner. A PHENOMINAL product is FP 10. It is a CLP and has EXCELLENT anti friction and anti wear properties as well as inhibiting rust and being a GREAT cleaner, lubricant and protectant.

Besides, the owner of Muscle Products Inc that makes FP 10 is George Fennell. He is a Lubrication Engineer and specializes in these things as well as being a super nice guy who will talk to you and explain everything to you. In my opinion, FP 10 is second only to Holy Water.

Kevin
Old October 13, 2001, 10:49 AM   #9
Clayton

Right on, Kevin!

A CLP type product is, IMHO, the best way to go.

The best ones clean as well as a nitro solvent, lube better than most "high-tech" oils and greases, and protect better than specialty products like Sheath and Rust Prevent.

The best ones I've used are Break-Free CLP, MPC/Shooters Choice FP-10, Eezox, and G96 Gun Treatment.
Old October 14, 2001, 01:47 AM   #10
MatthewM

Doh!!!!
I just got back from a gun show. Most everything I wanted I had down in writing before I got there. I bought Tetra Grease for the 1911 slide/lugs.

Anyway, it's been harder than I think it should be to clean the bore of my new Kimber Stainles Gold Match. I'm shooting nothing but moly coated lead.

I wet the bore with a patch with Butch's bore shine, let set 5 minutes or more. I then swab, brush, etc with Butch's. I get more and more out with the brushing, but hard to get to 100% clean. I asked at the show and was handed the MP-7.

Butch's is a favorite with competition rifle shooters. It's like shooters with a little sweet's added. I also own sweets but have never used it as I'm shooting only lead.

-Is there a better cleaner than Butch's for just lead/moly?
-Should I use the MP7 or put it under the kitchen sink for my wife to use?

ps: I use CLP for final bore swab and wipe down on entire inside/outside. Also found that flooding then draining of magazines with CLP made much easier to fill with ammo.
Old October 14, 2001, 02:50 AM   #11
Clayton

Ever try Shooter's Choice Lead Remover? Midsouth carries it, as well as the Hoppe's Lead Remover kits and other good products.
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

Mpro7 is a safe product, and some guys like it. Give it a go, since you already have it. I tried it several times on a Taurus 85 that I shot LRN ammo in, and I wasn't impressed.
www.mpro7.com
Old October 14, 2001, 11:26 AM   #12
Paul B.

Mpro7 is an excellent product for removing the carbon residue left from firing. It does not remove lead or copper fouling. I do a quick clean with Mpro7, dry the bore and then clean with the appropriate bore cleaner for lead or copper. Works for me.
I was advised by their representative that after using it, to oil the bore, as Mpro7 will remove every trace of oil in the bore, even down into the pores of the steel.
Paul B.
Old October 14, 2001, 06:56 PM   #13
IPSC SUPERCOP

MatthewM,

Honestly, try Firepower FP 10 by Muscle Products Inc. Great cleaner, even better lubricant and great preservative. I just talked to George Fennell, owner of Muscle Products Inc and designer of FP 10, and he told me a few stories about the amazing properties of FP10. I'll relay a short one about cleaning.

A now retired gentleman who used to be in charge of keeping up on the maintenance of the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team (HRT) firearms. He was talking to George one day and one of the snipers of HRT told him not to clean his rifle or bore that it is as clean as it could EVER be and that he is a fanatic about having his rifles ungodly clean, especially the bore. He promised George that there was nothing in the bore and nothing he could put in it would bring anything out, it was perfectly clean. They ran a patch of FP 10 through the bore and VOILA, more crap came out. The sniper was in awe.

You won't be disappointed, Brian Enos even said it is great stuff and he used it on his IPSC custom guns. Brian said he would still be using it if it had been easier to find and he didn't have his own Lubrication Engineer come up with something just as good and readily available to him. When Enos and his lube guy tested this stuff, Brian said it performed exceptional and had great anti friction properties against wear.

Kevin
Old October 14, 2001, 10:12 PM   #14
Clayton

George and the rest at MPC are great to deal with, and always provide whatever info you're looking for, and never blow you off or give lame excuses as to why product tech info cannot be provided.
Good stuff at a good price :
www.mpc-home.com
Old October 17, 2001, 12:07 PM   #15
JiminCA

FP10

I have an older bottle labelled FP10 made by Birchwood Casey. Is it the same stuff as the MPC? Was it sold or packaged under license?
Old October 17, 2001, 02:02 PM   #16
Clayton

Muscle Products FP-10 is also sold under the Shooter's Choice label.
Old October 17, 2001, 07:23 PM   #17
JiminCA

Thanks, it is Shooters' Choice.