The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

32 & 38 S&W pop gun loads with Trailboss... anyone tried ???

got a pretty good collection of top break revolvers going, & I don't collect anything I don't shoot... some of these are "good" revolvers, others pretty weak black powder actions...

I plan on loading up some very soft pop gun loads that hopefully will work through all of them... I've been able to find loading data for "class 1" ( black powder revolvers ) that are only chronoing around 400 + fps ( on the 32 S&W ), while the reciepes give me 6-8 powder options, so far I have not found any data for Trailboss, which would seem to be a natural for what I'm trying to do...

1st... anyone load for 32 or 38 S&W for black powder revolvers, with smokeless powders ???

2nd... anyone tried Trailboss in those cartridges ???
Old December 23, 2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm really surprised that Hodgdon hasn't come out with any loads for Trail Boss for those two cartridges yet given the competitive events that use the little back up guns in SASS shoots.

E-mail Hodgdon's technical people and see if they have any suggestions.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 23, 2009, 10:30 AM   #3
mtnbkr

I spoke with IMR/Hodgdon regarding Trail Boss in the 32 S&W Long. Even though they had published data for that cartridge, they recommended against it because the velocity potential was too low to ensure the bullet would clear the barrel (not enough case capacity). I tried a midrange (according to their data) load and it was certainly very light. When I get around to it again, I'll probably load their max load since even that will be lower in pressure than any other smokeless load.

I suspect using it in the non-long version of the 32 S&W wouldn't work well.

Chris
Old December 23, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm wanting to use a lead ball, rather than a bullet, so I think they'll clear the barrel... I have not weighed a ball yet, but Hornady makes a ball on the larger size, that should work nicely, & will likely be more accurate in marginal condition barrels

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=786830
Old December 23, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5
mtnbkr

That should work fine. I've used 000 (36cal) buckshot in a 38special with a 1gr of Bullseye for similar loads. It might be cheaper to buy 00 buckshot for your application since it is 32cal.

My TB load for the 32S&W Long is a 72gr roundnose.

Just make sure each shot clears the barrel and you'll be ok.

Chris
Old December 23, 2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
I've used 000 (36cal) buckshot in a 38special with a 1gr of Bullseye for similar loads.
I was thinking of 000 buck for the 38 S&W... right now I have 5-6 guns in 32 S&W, & am currently looking for a 38S&W "lemon squeezer" to match up with my Safety Police in that caliber, so I have 2 in that caliber, then I'll start loading for those as well...
Old December 23, 2009, 10:59 AM   #7
hornady

Life is full of choices. I have a Webley MK 2 in 38 S&W Top break. that I stopped shooting 20 years ago. Its made for Smokeless powder. But has some years on it. You may get away with switching Smokeless with BP. But don’t confuse FPS with pressure. Can end up badly. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old December 23, 2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I think the trailboss loads will be pretty low pressure, & just because I want to be able to, doesn't mean I'll be shooting my weaker actions alot... I have several that will be "shooters", & a couple that just need to be able to shoot
Old December 23, 2009, 11:15 AM   #9
hornady

To be honest the only BP experience I have is with BP rifles. I just get nervous when I see guys experimenting. It sounds like you have done your home work. And keeping the loads way down. I would just hate to see where someone tried to Match BP for Smokeless Grain for Grain. And those old top Break guns. They don’t even recommend new factory Ammo in them.