The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 13, 2007, 07:38 AM   #1
rgitzlaff

Kentucky Long rifle price

I don't know much about blackpowder rifles, I was wondering if some of you guys could tell me how much this thing is worth?

Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc.
Kentucky Rifle
Made in Spain
Blackpowder only
.50 caliber
SN# 89 627845

The guy selling it says it was bought from JC Penny's back when they had a nice sporting goods section. Pictures below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July 12, 2007 013.JPG (175.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg July 12, 2007 024.JPG (157.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg July 12, 2007 025.JPG (169.1 KB, 153 views)
Old July 13, 2007, 08:34 AM   #2
FL-Flinter

It's worth as much as anyone is willing to pay for it. For the most part, they don't shoot bad as far as accuracy is concerned, all have a 1:48 twist. The locks and triggers are usually quite sloppy unless someone has taken the time to rebuild and tune them - weak and broken main springs are also common and CVA no longer supports these guns. They also have ignition and cleaning issues with flash channel. It's hard for me to see from the picture but the drum relies on the lock plate for support to prevent it from eventually being broken off by the impact of the hammer. In the pic, it appears that the drum on this one is not in contact with the lock plate - yes, it's correctable but a time consuming job to do correctly if you want it to look nice - yes this is a serious safety issue. The stock design and complete lack of balance cause these to be very user un-friendly to many people, make sure you can hold it or you'll only be shooting it off a stick/bench.

I started in black powder many moons ago with this same gun but mine was a flintlock and came as a kit (it was cheap and money was tight). The flintlocks share the same problems as above with the addition of several others, there's lots of reasons I got rid of it long ago.
Old July 13, 2007, 10:55 AM   #3
rgitzlaff

"It's worth as much as anyone is willing to pay for it"

How much would you pay for it?
Old July 13, 2007, 01:48 PM   #4
arcticap

It's worth about $100 as a used rifle, as long the barrel is smooth and clean inside and the lock functions fine.
If it's unfired, it could be worth about $125 or a little bit more.
Any amount paid under $100 for this rifle only sweetens the deal, $75 would be considered a great bargain. If the fellow wanted a little over $100 and it checks out fine, it could be worth it because the wood & brass look new.
The lock looks really clean & bright too.
Is the hammer noticiably rubbing when it gets cocked?
Another factor that the rifle has going for it is that it's a more desirable .50 caliber rather than the more common .45 caliber.
$100 would be a very decent deal.
Well used CVA .45 Kentuckys usually go for about $99 around here, so what a person is willing to pay depends on what else is available in their price range.
Is it an unfired rifle?
Old July 13, 2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Joe the Redneck

As a new unfinished kit DGW sells the percussion model for 199.
Old July 13, 2007, 07:36 PM   #6
FL-Flinter

Around here you'd be hard pressed to get $90 for it, more like $60-$70 even in new condition. Market here isn't very good for these rifles.
Old July 13, 2007, 09:07 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I wouldn't pay too much for it myself. $75-100. It's ugly with that two piece stock too. Best thing is to make it a half-stock by removing the foreend and having a rib installed beneath the barrel.