The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 18, 2024, 01:19 PM   #1
rc

1984 Orwellian Utopia

California has been at war with gun owners my entire adult life. No longer can big retailers like Walmart or Big 5 afford to sell guns in California due to the complex regulations placed on legal commerce. I walked into a gun shop the other day after passing into a 1984 style surveillance zone for the first time with camera's everywhere! Everything you say or do from the time you pull into the parking lot is now recorded in high definition. It was a surreal experience walking into a place without laughter or chit chat. Even the gun shop employees have become muted and reserved under the watchful eye of government. Constitutional rights in California have no more meaning than an advertising slogan such as "planned parenthood".
Old January 20, 2024, 03:30 PM   #2
sparkyv

California voters need to awaken.
Old January 21, 2024, 12:41 PM   #3
rc

I don't have a lot of hope for that due to the amount of corruption. Just consider how the Benitez rulings are being tied up by the 9th circus. The wealth gap in California is growing rapidly and Democrats passed a law allowing illegals to get drivers license. Then they passed another law to automatically register people to vote when they get their driver license. Now they can qualify for health insurance. Democrats have something like a 65/35 majority right now.
Old January 21, 2024, 06:46 PM   #4
rickyrick

Only thing left is to be re-educated and spend your final days at the Chestnut Tree Cafe.
Old February 5, 2024, 04:15 PM   #5
Webleymkv

Having grown up in IL, which isn't as bad as CA (yet), I certainly sympathize with you. While many will tell you that you should stay and "fight the good fight" or "vote to change it" the reality is that these laws didn't all spring up overnight and it will take just as long, if not longer, to get rid of them. Even when the courts strike down some particularly egregious piece of nonsense, as SCOTUS did in Heller, McDonald, and Bruen, the powers at-be in said states waste no time in coming up with new and inventive ways to infringe on our rights in spite of the courts. While I certainly support and respect groups like NYSRPA and CalGuns, I cannot blame anyone who decides to give up and move out of a place like California, New York, or Illinois. After all, we aren't just talking about a law you dislike, we're talking about your ability to protect and defend yourself and your family being severely hindered, if not made impossible and I cannot in good conscience expect anyone to continue to jeopardize the safety of themselves or their families in order to "stay and fight the good fight."
Old February 9, 2024, 11:31 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Let's try to stay on the Law & Civil Rights track, folks.
Old February 9, 2024, 12:56 PM   #7
Metal god

Quote:
It was a surreal experience walking into a place without laughter or chit chat. Even the gun shop employees have become muted and reserved under the watchful eye of government.
It's called , CHILLING !

Quote:
California voters need to awaken.
They are Woke , which they got from the word awaken .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 9, 2024, 01:48 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Wake, awaken, woke, and similar phrases are and have been used as slogans many times throughout history, and probably will be still used in the future.

The idea behind it is a call for people to "wake up" and "see reality as it is".

Sadly many who use the slogan don't see reality as it is, they want people to wake up and see that their version of what reality should be is what is "right".

One of the slogans you can see on Nazi banners in pictures of their rallies and marches is "Deutschland Erwache" which translates to "Germany Awake".

its not a new use of the idea, not at all.